Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Feb 2017, 16:59 (Ref:3714542)   #201
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
The cars will be much much faster this year for sure. But boy oh boy, are they ever ugly! Only the Mercedes so far is not completely vomit inducing. The shark fins are bigger and uglier than ever, and most of the noses remain ugly.

The little T wings that Ferrari and Mercedes are testing, when taken with the shark fin, add a new degree of ugliness never before seen. Hopefully Newey will show us something more elegant tomorrow.

I love the hybrid engine formula. All the engines will be over 1000 bhp this year. They are a technological marvel.

But I fear this emphasis on aero will mean only artificial DRS passes this year. The drivers (read Max) will be so frustrated that they'll be carelessly throwing it into the corners to try and pass.

Bah!
Old 24 Feb 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3714549)   #202
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's those sponsor's money that has gone and helped pay for the changes to the 2017 cars. We'll just have to wait and see if it has all been worth it, for them, the teams and the fans.
Old 24 Feb 2017, 19:48 (Ref:3714564)   #203
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Aren't most of Ferrari's sponsors a continuation from previous?
Because to me, it looks worse than a BTCC sticker-fest with logos seemingly plastered on as an afterthought.
I wasn't referring to the livery, I was referring to the car itself.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 00:13 (Ref:3714599)   #204
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
The cars will be much much faster this year for sure. But boy oh boy, are they ever ugly! Only the Mercedes so far is not completely vomit inducing.
Agree.

Martin Brundle has expressed his displeasure with the shark fins. Even calling for them to be banned for next year.

Shame that the 2017 rule changes were supposed to make the cars look "fast". Instead most look "farce". At the reveal of the Williams 3D rendering, people were complaining that nothing much has changed. And now fans complaining that too much has changed.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 00:52 (Ref:3714601)   #205
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like the fact different teams have opted, or not for the Shark fin.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 08:56 (Ref:3714641)   #206
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neppatsrev Xam View Post
I'm not impressed

With the Ferrari, or all of them?
Old 25 Feb 2017, 11:56 (Ref:3714659)   #207
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Respectfully disagree. IMO, only raised nose car that ever looked good were the early 90's Tyrrell's.

...and that was more due to how the front wing was mounted.
good shout, that tyrrell looks cool.

buut.. i refer you to the autogp/a1gp cars, that combined the leaning rear wing and engine cover fin with a high nose and looked like they'd been designed coherantly, not pulled together at the last minute from individual drawing boards...

Old 25 Feb 2017, 12:10 (Ref:3714661)   #208
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
The real Williams FW40.

Dear god!!
Old 25 Feb 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3714662)   #209
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Those pictures are 3D rendering and are of the actual 2017 car, released by Williams F1. The finer details of the aero kit (barge boards, diffuser, floor for example) have been left off. It is 75% detail of the 2017 car.
I was informed that the 3D rendering wasn't wearing the complete aero kit. I guess now we know what the other 25% that was left out is. That fin is HUGE!

The 3D rendering is sooo much better.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 17:23 (Ref:3714696)   #210
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Surely any cross winds at the circuit hitting those massive fins are going to negate any aero advantage of having them in the first place?

Sadly the designers have come up with another load of lumbering looking cars, where has the elegance in F1 gone?
Old 25 Feb 2017, 17:26 (Ref:3714698)   #211
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I like the fact different teams have opted, or not for the Shark fin.
I think I need to retract that, since Williams have now unveiled the real FW 40. I believe it was JeremySmith who thought the original rendering might not be the actual car.

I still think McLaren have the edge and are winning the Shark fin contest but only just.

Old 25 Feb 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3714702)   #212
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've been thinking about the possible negative effects of the 'increase in aerodynamic downforce for 2017'. I'm certainly no aerodynamicist (I was surprised to be able to spell the word without help!), I'm just an engineer, but presumably the (increased) aerodynamic downforce is only truly effective when the car is travelling forwards? So, should a car spin 180°, surely this would create negative downforce, which could, if the speed be high enough at the time cause the car to practically or actually lift off the ground? An obviously seriously unsafe situation. Could this be another reason for these horrible, huge shark fins, to aid the directional stability of the car and help to keep it running in a straight line, or is their purpose simply to channel the air towards the rear wing?
Old 25 Feb 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3714707)   #213
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
LMP cars have had these fins for a while now. From my very limited understanding the fins help during yaw, to channel the air towards the rear wing.

I also heard that they help the car during a spin and help stop it from taking off, at least I believe that was one of the objectives of having them on the LMP cars.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 23:49 (Ref:3714742)   #214
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll admit to having very poor, or perhaps non existent, aesthetic taste but I really can't understand all the groaning and moaning about the appearance of the new cars.
It would seem that there is huge resistance to change in some followers of F1.
It is a sport/business/entertainment/scientific research project in which change is part of the attraction. If change was not a part of it cars would look like my first favorite F1 car as in my avatar. There have been many changes, and constant improvement, in the relative performance and efficiency of cars since then.
Just get used to the fact that over a season the best performing car sort of grows on you as looking like a real F1 car should look in that year.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 01:19 (Ref:3714755)   #215
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
good shout, that tyrrell looks cool.

buut.. i refer you to the autogp/a1gp cars, that combined the leaning rear wing and engine cover fin with a high nose and looked like they'd been designed coherantly, not pulled together at the last minute from individual drawing boards...

Fair enough.

Yeah, those were good looking cars, looking back.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 05:11 (Ref:3714765)   #216
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Unofficial photo of the Haas F1 VF17

Old 26 Feb 2017, 07:29 (Ref:3714770)   #217
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Old 26 Feb 2017, 10:38 (Ref:3714802)   #218
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tend to agree with old tony above, the designers have a brief to design a race winning car.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 12:01 (Ref:3714823)   #219
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So McLaren made a Spyker, and Haas made a Midland.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 12:58 (Ref:3714825)   #220
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't find a way to post the photo, but the Red Bull is hands down the prettiest F1 car this season.

There are pictures on
http://www.skysports.com/share/10767944
Old 26 Feb 2017, 13:04 (Ref:3714827)   #221
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
I can't find a way to post the photo, but the Red Bull is hands down the prettiest F1 car this season.

There are pictures on
http://www.skysports.com/share/10767944

interesting nose

Old 26 Feb 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3714831)   #222
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
So McLaren made a Spyker, and Haas made a Midland.
The Haas one looks more like the 2010 HRT car.

The same ugly gray.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 13:50 (Ref:3714833)   #223
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think I understand what Haas is going for with the grey (I think they are actually trying to match the color of the equipment they sell). But it is a bit.. blah. Hard to make that color work on something that is supposed to be sporty. I do think the Haas livery on the shark fin is better than most. Oh, interesting canard wind in front of the sidepod on the Haas!

To the comment about Red Bull above, let's see what it looks like in natural lighting. For example notice how the fin just sinks into the background? . Emphasize the good and hide the bad.

McLaren had a chance to knock it out of the park by going 100% orange or nearly so, but had to add in the swoop design and significant amount of black, so it just doesn't stand out much as it could have.

Richard
Old 26 Feb 2017, 17:10 (Ref:3714862)   #224
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 26 Feb 2017, 17:12 (Ref:3714863)   #225
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now that looks cool.