Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 20 Feb 2013, 06:41 (Ref:3207690)   #1
Octane
Rookie

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2013 Sebring 12hour - Who's going?

So I just found out that I'll be in the US the week before the race for work, and the boss has agreed to let me extend my stay so I can go to Sebring this year for the first time ever.

Trouble is, I've got to fly down from Minneapolis on the 13th or 14th, then get a train from Tampa airport to Sebring.

Also, aaaaaallllll the accommodation in the area seems to be booked out.

It's a long shot, but does anyone else have room for a +1 at wherever they're staying?

Otherwise I might just get a hire car from Tampa airport and sleep in the back or buy a cheap tent and camp at the track

Last edited by Octane; 20 Feb 2013 at 06:51.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3207907)   #2
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I'll be driving down from South Carolina early. I'll be staying at hotel Subaru. It's always better than a tent. Anyone else driving from around upstate SC?
Old 20 Feb 2013, 17:19 (Ref:3207998)   #3
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Otherwise I might just get a hire car from Tampa airport and sleep in the back or buy a cheap tent and camp at the track
Lots of other folks do exactly this. I don't think there are trains to Sebring from Tampa, but there may be busses. One tip -- find a Walmart BEFORE you go to Sebring and get the tent there, if you decide to do that. All the local Walmarts near Sebring will be tentless by the time you arrive.

If you get a hire car, don't forget your International Driving Permit.
keke
Old 20 Feb 2013, 20:52 (Ref:3208075)   #4
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
Lots of other folks do exactly this. I don't think there are trains to Sebring from Tampa,
I may have decided that Sebring & St Petersberg back to back was not for me & mrs B this year, but having done my homework, I know there is a train into & out of Sebring to Tampa/St Petes

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten..._Page&code=SBG

One a day.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 21:52 (Ref:3208099)   #5
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
I may have decided that Sebring & St Petersberg back to back was not for me & mrs B this year, but having done my homework, I know there is a train into & out of Sebring to Tampa/St Petes

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten..._Page&code=SBG

One a day.
You will still need transport to & from the train station (TAXI?) at both ends. You are better off with a rental car strating from the Tampa airport.

Probable total expense ~$300 depending upon how many days.

Old 20 Feb 2013, 22:20 (Ref:3208111)   #6
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Did I really have to spell out that one train a day in each direction was not being presented as a workable solution?
The reply was directed at Keke, not the OP.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 04:16 (Ref:3208238)   #7
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
You will still need transport to & from the train station (TAXI?) at both ends. You are better off with a rental car strating from the Tampa airport.

Probable total expense ~$300 depending upon how many days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
Did I really have to spell out that one train a day in each direction was not being presented as a workable solution?
The reply was directed at Keke, not the OP.
Y'all aren't communicating at all. Try again tomorrow.

I am planning on going, but not set in stone yet. I always stay at the track near the hairpin.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3208713)   #8
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Always check Hotels.com and similar sites last-minute. I often get $40-$50 rooms at the last minute (two days before events.) Never tried at Sebring but I assume the situation might be the same.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 22:02 (Ref:3208817)   #9
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Always check Hotels.com and similar sites last-minute. I often get $40-$50 rooms at the last minute (two days before events.) Never tried at Sebring but I assume the situation might be the same.
Not very likely. There is a paucity of available hotel rooms within a 50 mile radius of Sebring. Most are perpetual reservations.

Lots of luck.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 14:39 (Ref:3209095)   #10
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
I went last year for the first time, similar situation to the OP in that I was in Florida for work so couldnt say no to a trip to Sebring! It was impossible to get anything booked remotely local and I ended up staying in Orlando which was a pretty long spin back after 12 hours of racing!

Couldnt recommend the weekend highly enough though and only probably Monaco was more enjoyable for me last year. Great to go to a historic venue but the weather was not great for an Irishman, I was sweating like a lunatic when I was out and about!

If anyone's going I'd recommend meeting up with the Turn 10 crew, quite a few tenths posters in that group, and I ended up down there at some point during the weekend. Can't find the photo of the lads patch but I was blown away by some of the viewing posts constructed down there!

I'd love to be going back again this year, I was surprised that I enjoyed Sebring more than even Le Mans but maybe that's just because it's been a few too many years since I was at Le Sarthe!
Old 22 Feb 2013, 15:08 (Ref:3209112)   #11
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
Lots of other folks do exactly this. I don't think there are trains to Sebring from Tampa, but there may be busses. One tip -- find a Walmart BEFORE you go to Sebring and get the tent there, if you decide to do that. All the local Walmarts near Sebring will be tentless by the time you arrive.

If you get a hire car, don't forget your International Driving Permit.
keke
Good advice about gathering gear before getting to Sebring, there are not a lot of options when you get to the town, and they get heavily during race week by the huge crowd.

I am not sure the International Driving Permit requirement is still in effect, the last I heard my State's illustrious legislature now is saying they didn't realize they voted to establish it, and apparently there is confusion amongst law enforcement about everything from what these look like, to how they are to enforce the use of them. DON'T go by me, investigate! If you are considering rental car they should be able to clarify. You should secure rental car well ahead of time, as spring break, race week, and family vacation time for school children are all going to conspire to escalate demand .
Old 22 Feb 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3209273)   #12
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I am not sure the International Driving Permit requirement is still in effect, the last I heard my State's illustrious legislature now is saying they didn't realize they voted to establish it, and apparently there is confusion amongst law enforcement about everything from what these look like, to how they are to enforce the use of them. DON'T go by me, investigate! If you are considering rental car they should be able to clarify. You should secure rental car well ahead of time, as spring break, race week, and family vacation time for school children are all going to conspire to escalate demand .
The Internation Permit is no longer required in Florida, hasnt been for at least five years. you simply need a valid driving licence
Old 22 Feb 2013, 21:31 (Ref:3209302)   #13
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post

I'd love to be going back again this year, I was surprised that I enjoyed Sebring more than even Le Mans but maybe that's just because it's been a few too many years since I was at Le Sarthe!
Great shot of turn 9 corner workers station, hope to work T9/10/11 this year!

Different sizes of Sebring and LM might have something to do with your experiences.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 23:12 (Ref:3209378)   #14
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
A reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
The Internation Permit is no longer required in Florida, hasnt been for at least five years. you simply need a valid driving licence
'Tis true. Don't panic.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 23:48 (Ref:3209397)   #15
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
More information

Here is the track's official WEBSITE.

A downloadable [.pdf] track map (print several copies) is available as well as ticket purchasing information.

The advance purchase "Superticket" is the way to go. It includes parking ($40/day savings).

Too late for the discounted advance purchase.

Order on the website. No Int'l mail orders. Tickets will be held at "Will Call". You will be directed there upon arrival at "Gate 3" (just South of the Midway entrance). On the `directions' drop down use the zoom feature keeping the "A" in the center of the screen.

I wish I could be there to provide assitance but my `track days' are finished due to medical restrictions.

Don't forget your Sunblock! We will of course expect a full report of every day's fun and activities when you get home.

Old 24 Feb 2013, 08:37 (Ref:3209881)   #16
Octane
Rookie

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you all for the replies and advice.

Given that there's no accommodation in Sebring, I've decided to fly from Minneapolis (where I'm working) to Miami on the Thursday morning, then hire a car from the airport and drive to Sebring.

Will probably hire a corvette or something ridiculous like that and do it in proper american sportcar style... you only live once ;-)

I've bought the 4-day Superticket incase I get there early on thursday and wan't to watch the night practice.

I've also bought a reserved carspace in the north paddock, so I'll just sleep in the car (as uncomfortable as that is) or get a tent for the thurs/fri/sat nights and drive back to Miami on Sunday morning, then a flight to LA sunday afternoon, and leave LA for Sydney on the Monday.

Will be a very short and busy trip, but totally worth it as there's no way I could afford to fly to the states (especially not business class) unless work was paying. So it's definitely worth the couple of thousand extra it's going to cost me for this Sebring experience.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 23:07 (Ref:3210202)   #17
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
And so it began . . .

Great plan!

Quote:
Thank you all for the replies and advice.

Given that there's no accommodation in Sebring, I've decided to fly from Minneapolis (where I'm working) to Miami on the Thursday morning, then hire a car from the airport and drive to Sebring.

Will probably hire a corvette or something ridiculous like that and do it in proper american sportcar style... you only live once ;-)

I've bought the 4-day Superticket incase I get there early on thursday and wan't to watch the night practice. I've also bought a reserved carspace in the north paddock, so I'll just sleep in the car (as uncomfortable as that is) or get a tent for the thurs/fri/sat nights and drive back to Miami on Sunday morning, then a flight to LA sunday afternoon, and leave LA for Sydney on the Monday.
I am sure you will make a few friends near your carspace, especially since you will be arriving early. The `natives' are friendly and you will be offered food, beer and perhaps a blanket or floorspace in one of their tents.

Quote:
Will be a very short and busy trip, but totally worth it as there's no way I could afford to fly to the states (especially not business class) unless work was paying. So it's definitely worth the couple of thousand extra it's going to cost me for this Sebring experience.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 00:57 (Ref:3210238)   #18
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Could you show me where it says the superticket includes the $40 parking
Old 25 Feb 2013, 01:31 (Ref:3210250)   #19
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn't see anything in the pricing about the superticket including parking, in fact the race brochure claims all cars must pay the $40 parking charge unless they bring 4 or more people in the vehicle. There apparently is a free offsite camping/parking area on the tram route but guessing it's not that close.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 15:31 (Ref:3211199)   #20
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
It's opposite of the paddock on the ulman straight. It's not far, just not convenient if you plan to leave things in your car. Nothing like road Atlanta parking though.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 16:50 (Ref:3211225)   #21
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
A reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Good advice about gathering gear before getting to Sebring, there are not a lot of options when you get to the town, and they get heavily during race week by the huge crowd.

No, Int'l driving permit NOT required. Click HERE

Old 6 Mar 2013, 19:09 (Ref:3215221)   #22
codesurge
Rookie

United States
codesurge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be attending Sebring this year - it's the first endurance race I'll be seeing in person and am excited about it being the last "proper" Sebring with P1 cars.

Question for those of you who've been there before: do you know how packed it will be if I drive to the track on Saturday morning? If I'm not camping there, what unearthly hour will I have to get there by in order not to be stuck outside the track?

Thanks everyone!
Old 6 Mar 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3215245)   #23
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
A reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesurge View Post
I will be attending Sebring this year - it's the first endurance race I'll be seeing in person and am excited about it being the last "proper" Sebring with P1 cars.

Question for those of you who've been there before: do you know how packed it will be if I drive to the track on Saturday morning? If I'm not camping there, what unearthly hour will I have to get there by in order not to be stuck outside the track?

Thanks everyone!
It is too late for the $75 Superticket, you will need $85

See the "Guest Guide". HERE. It would be worthwhile to call (toll free) in order to determine if the "Superticket" includes a parking pass as it is not mentioned in the guide. The "Superticket" also includes FOOT access to the pits and paddock any time and pit road/starting grid up to ~10 minutes before race start. I can guarantee you will not be alone.

If you intend to drive in with a cooler and other "necessities" you should have a parking pass. "Drive in" allowed capacity is monitored and usually shuts down between 08h00 and 11h00. The parking pass will let you in anytime but open spaces may be hard to find. Count on locking the car as the rest of your visit will require foot transportation.

There is parking outside the track (see Pink areas) and free trams in & out at various times of the day. Expect at least 1 hour time in que no matter which scenario you pick.

The earlier your arrival the better off you are. You may be able to park outside FRI night (free) and join whatever que you need when you wake up (assuming you were able to fall asleep due to the hoot'n, holler'n and horn blow'n that goes on all night).

Print this MAP to avoid some of the confusion.

Have a good trip and please provide a post event commentary.

Last edited by thebear; 6 Mar 2013 at 20:15.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 06:44 (Ref:3215402)   #24
codesurge
Rookie

United States
codesurge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks thebear. Just to clarify a little, I've actually already bought my supertickets at the early bird price, but great advice nonetheless!

Basically, the reason behind my asking is that I've booked accommodation a little further out from Sebring and will be driving to the track on both Friday and Saturday. I've already bought the parking pass so was trying to determine what time to get to Sebring on Saturday morning to avoid an excessively long line of cars getting into the place.

Based on your advice, I'll probably try to reach the track around 7.30 on Sat morning. What time does the gridwalk usually take place at? Just before the race itself around 10am?
Old 7 Mar 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3215570)   #25
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I was going to recommend you to this thread codesurge, but see you are ahead of me. Warmup on Saturday morning is 8am to 8:25am. The cars will return to paddock for final prep and then start to go back to begin to form on grid after the SVRA parade laps are run, which is 8:50am.

Track schedule here http://www.sebringraceway.com/2013/2013-schedule.pdf

Tough to put an ideal arrival time down. I suggest as early as you can pull it off.