Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 17 Oct 2007, 19:23 (Ref:2042978)   #51
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
That's pretty cool and - after looking at alternatives - very cheap! It's maybe just a little small for me though Unless you can add extra shelves, that is. Is that possible?

Basically I have two cabinets currently - one with a nicely spaced out Senna collection the other with a completely rammed full Le Mans collection. I was thinking of moving the Le Mans collection out to a new cabinet and then using the space that frees up to house my new Montoya collection.

I want the new cabinet to have room to spread the Le Mans winners out a bit so that I can see them properly and also to give me room to expand that theme. Currently I have 27 1:18 Le Mans winners!
Old 17 Oct 2007, 20:21 (Ref:2043033)   #52
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Actually, been exploring the Ikea site and I think I've decided what I want.

Check out these displays from another forum which I read:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...n/P1010615.jpg
and
http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3561at8.jpg

They are Ikea's 'Billy' range (ironic! haha) which would have done me apart from the colour and the fact that the door was so 'chunky' But then I found these doors which are far better. I've looked and Ikea even do a black ash cabinet.

So I'm gonna go for a black 800mm Billy cabinet, two Morebo doors and half a dozen glass shelves. All this comes to a grand total of £140 - a bargain compared to purpose built model cabinets with the additional benefit of being able to use the bottom couple of shelves as a bookshelf for my Le Mans books

Knowlesy, you might want to check this configuration out if you're gonna go for the above units!
Old 17 Oct 2007, 21:42 (Ref:2043137)   #53
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Those cabinets are great Craig....don't like the original doors with the massive wooden frames, but the config you suggested looks stellar.

I'm torn now between that and the picture at the end of your post.

What a shame I might be out of work for a few weeks at the end of this month! Really need some cash together, my patience is thin!
Old 17 Oct 2007, 21:50 (Ref:2043151)   #54
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
If you have the space (hence the reason I can't do it) you could buy three 400mm Billy units and a 'corner adapter' for three quid (!) and have the best of both worlds.

Sorry to hear you might be out of work for a bit -- hope it's leading on to bigger and better things?
Old 17 Oct 2007, 21:55 (Ref:2043152)   #55
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The same things probably for the time being, interview on Friday. Fingers crossed. Need to keep some cash flowing in for now.

Space, well, I'm quite limited really. I need to get rid of my PC and replace it with a laptop to free up space ideally. I only really want to display the Montoya collection at the moment though, as I have invested in that for six or seven years and it's about time I got it put out properly. They are in the boxes at the moment as I fear dust!

When I'm back in my own house/flat, I'll properly go to town on the whole collection, which will be quite something!
Old 18 Oct 2007, 08:52 (Ref:2043355)   #56
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diecast display

One thing which you do need to consider when displaying diecasts, especially those that have decals, is that of dust. The Billy bookcases are great but offer no dust protection, and the doors don't give an unobstructed view of the display. The bespoke model cabinets give good dust protection and unobstructed views. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Bertby is another Ikea possible.

Any which way, it's better to display.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 12:25 (Ref:2043524)   #57
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
J-C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Does it keep the dust off the models OK?
Yes, although the doors aren't "sealed" (just the usual magnetic thing), I have found that dust doesn't really accumulate inside with the Detolf - of course it helps to clean and polish the shelves every so often, but I've used them for a couple of years now in more than 1 location and they've been absolutely fine dust-wise.

Unfortunately they don't do additional shelves for them so that's why I used one of those perspex cases to create additional display space. Of course that makes things completely dust proof.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 15:02 (Ref:2044607)   #58
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by iucrmh
One thing which you do need to consider when displaying diecasts, especially those that have decals, is that of dust. The Billy bookcases are great but offer no dust protection, and the doors don't give an unobstructed view of the display. The bespoke model cabinets give good dust protection and unobstructed views. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Bertby is another Ikea possible.

Any which way, it's better to display.
Well, I popped into Ikea on the way back from Liverpool this afternoon and picked up my cabinet (along with 50 quids worth of other stuff I'd not planned on buying... damn) and I'm rather looking forward to getting it built!

I should say that the new glass door do seem to offer an unobstructed display of the unit and they seem to be reasonably tight fitting so dust should be minimal. Not perfect but, for the price, unbeatable.
Old 22 Oct 2007, 19:01 (Ref:2048270)   #59
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Right, the cabinet is assembled and fixed in place. I've cleaned it but there's still dust floating round - after I had to drill some extra holes to hold the extra shelves - so I'll leave it until tomorrow to let it all settle down before filling in with my models. It looks pretty reasonable and I think it'll look great when it's full I'm not 100% sure about the size of the door hinges yet - they're a little bulky tbh - but overall it all looks pretty decent. Will see if I can post a photo up when it's all sorted.
Old 22 Oct 2007, 21:31 (Ref:2048425)   #60
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Sod it, I got bored of waiting. Here's a few photos:

Before
After

I'm pretty happy with that. Especially as I added a couple of cheap lights. For the sake of twenty quid, they're a good additon.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 12:51 (Ref:2052619)   #61
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mine are now on a couple of shelves! Still got some more to go, but it's nice to have them on display again. Sorry about the rubbish photo quality though.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...i/Picture6.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...i/Picture7.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...i/Picture8.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...i/Picture9.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18.../Picture10.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...icture11-1.jpg

Last edited by Craig; 6 Jan 2008 at 12:45.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 12:19 (Ref:2053206)   #62
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

DC fan eh? Good stuff.

Is the RBR car the showcar or the 2005 racecar?
Old 28 Oct 2007, 12:50 (Ref:2053224)   #63
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The RBR car is actually a Christian Klien car. They didn't have DC's one in the shop I was in (which has since closed). It is a showcar though.

I'm getting back into the model collecting loop again, and I can now feel your and Craig's pain in the Montoya thread. So many models, so little money! Especially when I'm hunting down the Monaco GP Superman car, which tends to go for about £50 everytime...
Old 26 Nov 2007, 14:07 (Ref:2075805)   #64
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Indeed, good collection.

I think i'm going to have to purchase a 'Billy' cabinet similar to Craig's soon. Probably need to move house first though!!
Old 28 Nov 2007, 08:14 (Ref:2077081)   #65
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
Especially when I'm hunting down the Monaco GP Superman car, which tends to go for about £50 everytime...
I see what you mean about the price, this superman 1:43 on ebay is currently going for 26 quid.

But this one is ridiculously priced - DC Star Wars 1:43 on ebay at a buy it now price of 67 quid
Old 28 Nov 2007, 09:18 (Ref:2077121)   #66
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you can always just buy the decals, buy the car and do it yourself. i do it all the time
Old 2 Dec 2007, 11:42 (Ref:2079807)   #67
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice collection Down Force.

Once my batteries are charged up in my camera, I'll take a pic of my display cabinets.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 18:56 (Ref:2080865)   #68
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here are my display cabinets:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...1/DSCF2511.jpg
Old 5 Jan 2008, 16:38 (Ref:2100150)   #70
fish88
Racer

Netherlands
fish88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This are my displays of my Montoya collection and of my Gt1 1:43 collection (and some other cars).

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...7122007391.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...7122007394.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...7122007386.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...3122007370.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...3122007371.jpg

Last edited by Craig; 6 Jan 2008 at 12:44.
Old 6 Jan 2008, 12:08 (Ref:2100556)   #71
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm in the process of putting up shelving for my models- I'll post the finished product... When it's finished.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 6 Jan 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2100581)   #72
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Some nice pics guys! I'm afraid I've had to edit the posts to link to the photos though as there were so many big photos it was taking forever for the page to load! Keep em coming tho.
Old 3 Mar 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2408441)   #73
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Time to bring this one back to the top... it's been well over a year and I am sure we now have some nice new ways of displaying our diecasts!
Old 3 Mar 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2408451)   #74
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Old 3 Mar 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2408464)   #75
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Nothing has changed since your first post in this very thread then!!

Seriously -- oh dear! Are you looking to sell your collection?