Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Jul 2009, 07:33 (Ref:2497630)   #51
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry the weather might be my fault I brought a new tent on Monday......

But my local weatherman for Silverstone thinks showers from around 1600 so it could be a wet and dry race. Glad Midgetmas is taking the start as I might get the wet bit of the race.
Old 8 Jul 2009, 07:36 (Ref:2497633)   #52
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

Anyone recall 2005 when it was wet?
Old 8 Jul 2009, 08:12 (Ref:2497649)   #53
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm,

I'll have to ask me dad about that
Old 8 Jul 2009, 08:14 (Ref:2497651)   #54
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes we had a great time even with the race being cut short and they gave us an award we finished so well. If it is going to be like that I think I have some snow and mud tyres stored somewhere, do you think I need to try and find them?
Old 8 Jul 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2497713)   #55
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Let's pretend it was Peter, although the truth is far less exciting than that
Midgetmax and Penelope Pitstop are sharing MGDavid's "Montyzoomers Revenge" at MG Live.
There, I hope that clears it up.
she's on the button, new triple-core rad fitted last night - please don't bend it boys. Now to find some oil pressure in the Midget....
Old 8 Jul 2009, 20:00 (Ref:2497931)   #56
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
modes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Was going to Magny Cours but meetings got in the way, so entered in the two 30mins allcomers.

See you there.
Hi Peter

Entered the Saturday 30 minute Endurance but I couldn't get my licence sorted in time, but Malcolm Beer had got the car ready so I talked Cheng Lim & Phil James into racing my pink/white MGB V8! Should be good for a laugh? Cheng always says my engine is only starter motor sized for his Cobra monster! Phil is used to the car having done a time a bit under the BCV8 class C lap record time with it in the Endurance last year when we shared it. But it's going to be fun to see how Cheng gets on with it. I will see you there.
Old 8 Jul 2009, 22:07 (Ref:2498000)   #57
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hmm,

Only too well,I was supposed to be in the LongNose B with Whizzo,only time I ever won without sitting in the car because they shortened the race!
Old 10 Jul 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2499121)   #58
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The droop snoot B was on the Spacial Tuning stand today.

Had a good day so far. Going quicker than last time there which is good. In fact I tried out a theory I had and I'm pleased to say that you can go through Maggots quicker. Sadly the time lost digging yourself out of the Ireland Bends kitty litter as a result makes the lap slower.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2499221)   #59
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The droop snoot B was on the Spacial Tuning stand today.

Had a good day so far. Going quicker than last time there which is good. In fact I tried out a theory I had and I'm pleased to say that you can go through Maggots quicker. Sadly the time lost digging yourself out of the Ireland Bends kitty litter as a result makes the lap slower.
Found your car this afternoon Peter but not you!!! Will try and track you down tomorrow.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2499327)   #60
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps we'll all meet up,I'm on my way up this morning Peter.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 16:14 (Ref:2499542)   #61
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
wasn't the really bad rain in 2004? I have a photo of me in my eleven in the BRDC race with water coming out of the gap between the bonnet and sill taken at the corner where you rejoin the GP circuit. I seem to recall it was a special anniversary meeting as we all got a small metal plaque or maybe I am confusing two different meetings..
Old 11 Jul 2009, 16:20 (Ref:2499545)   #62
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
2007 was quite bad at times, well just as our race went out and they conveniently stopped it to make up for lost time
Old 11 Jul 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2499546)   #63
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
What a fantastic event. I was there to support a freind in the Healeys, but im totally in love with the Midgets now. Gonna start looking around for one of my own.

Great selection of cars, great people. Brilliant. MG Live gets a big thumbs up from me!
Old 12 Jul 2009, 06:48 (Ref:2499828)   #64
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I really do not know where the time went,very enjoyable day spent with Peter and Pat Mallett,Peter had an excellent race in the Capri but as he did it,I'll let him tell it "as it was" so to speak.Caught up with quite a few tenthers,Max,I did come over but you were busy fettling a MK1 Sprite that had been playing on the beach!.A little short on spectators but all in all it was worth going.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2499930)   #65
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Commiserations to Andy Green and especially 10/10ths JerryK with a very bent car but luckily only minor injuries in race 2.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2500232)   #66
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weather better than forecast, nowt new in that. Bad w/e for engines in our camp but thats racing. Commented on the 'food' at Silverstone before tho will try to be objective but not scathing. Take your own, yes far and away the best policy, sometimes long hours creep in to the agenda and relying on insulin, the quick alterative is the option. Price is one consideration though quality the far greater one; Saturday brekie at the diner not bad and at last those nasty plastic knives and forks not in evidence, at last the caterers have noted comments and Aspired to greater heights. Sunday, no such luck back to plastic; first fork unable to impale the rather well done Cumberland? sausage broke under the strain, the second faired little better back to the impliments God or whoever gave you. Similar problem with knife doing it's best to cope with bacon. Second knife and third fork fared little better with the piece of rubber in the shape, colour and contour of a fried egg. The hash browns sodden in oil were not a problem to cut into, but left I thought of my digestive system having to cope.Aspire, Fair Trade etc to what direction the caterers are moving towards I know not, those words are not what I personally would use to describe their efforts.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2500245)   #67
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Whilst on the subject,who on earth are the mobile caterers trying to kid? at £5.50 for a burger!! They can burger off! We ate in the Cafe and I have to say it was pretty good,the prices were certainly far more attractive than some poxy burger bar.Perhaps these people do pay more for thier "pitches",but I did notice that they all had a lack of customers,is it realistic for them to try and charge those sort of prices at the moment? I would have thought that any of them brave enough to have dropped thier prices by £1.50 would have seen far more customers part with thier hard earned rather than vote with thier feet!
Old 12 Jul 2009, 21:08 (Ref:2500376)   #68
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Whilst on the subject,who on earth are the mobile caterers trying to kid? at £5.50 for a burger!!
Totally Agree, Sit in the open and rain coffee 1-95 diner 1-20, not having a go at the diner prices Saturday nowt wrong proper knives and forks and plates plus food A OK. Makes all the difference between 5-95 and 5-95 Sunday. 'The True British Meat' stall burgers were 3-50 I saw on my way to the non existant BBQ. Aquired a pair of 8" 100w bobby dazlers for the tranny in the rusty bit sales area for 30 quid.

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Jul 2009 at 07:31.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 21:32 (Ref:2500389)   #69
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks guys for a good weekend, shame about the 55mins race on Sunday....only 13 starters, the following race 40+ over 8 laps. Peter, thanks fo the beer at the BBQ...much appreciated, and Terry, you should have called me, we could have met and had a chat.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 04:15 (Ref:2500515)   #70
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Sorry Chris,I did keep meaning to but somehow I just ran out of time.I had hoped to stay on for the Barbie but had to get back. The 55min on Sunday,was that the second half of Coys Double sixty?
Old 13 Jul 2009, 07:27 (Ref:2500567)   #71
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where do I start! We had a long way to Silverstone in the big red DAF(10hrs) . Got there friday morning 2 o clock! Free practice ,Healey six started to run on 4 after 2 laps. Had an hour to qualifying practice so we swapped head gasket no 1. hurry hurry , the scrutineers where so kind to come and check the car in the paddock! (try that at Spa!!) Just in time for the practice. Friendly lady at the pregrid asked me if she could close the bootlid and if I could take the pin out off the extinguisher. (First time somebody asked me BEFORE racing and not after as usual!!) I must say that overall , race control , scrutineers, marshals where VERY VERY FRIENDLY and we felt absolutely welcome. Thanks to all those super people at MG live this year!
Well qualifying practice did no good but 2 laps and 4 cyls again. The cylinder head was sick . So after practice head off and gasket 3 ready. But first at 3 o clock Alan Cameron phoned John Walker from New Yatt Witney if he could skimm a head. Off we went to Witney . a pleasant blast through nice country side back roads to John Walker who did a really superb job! top engineer !
We got back to Silverstone just in time to get an excellent dinner at the Silverstone Racing Club. (So we had great food at Silverstone!) After dinner still... we had to get the head on , which was flushed with some good wines. The race next day ended early with an oil leakage.
Joe Cox had organised a great price giving with a nice set of ex works cars and Peter Riley , Ann Riley Wisdom , Jack Sears together with the Healey Club President Colin Stokes where there to present us trophies in an unque atmosphere! After that I made a dinner for the 22 dutch who where with us.
That night with the heavy rain the truck was our bar to end the party!
So I didnt get to see many 10 10ers apart from Terry who came to see the Healey gang. but We had a splendid weekend allthough my racing was.....nil.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 07:45 (Ref:2500577)   #72
JP12
Rookie

England
Bristol
JP12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a really good weekend but the racing didn't go to plan. We had a nightmare weekend in a little Metro Cup car. It wasn't running properly all weekend and as we solved one problem a new one appeared!! We managed a total of 4 1/2 race laps in the two 30min enduros before a terminal engine failure at Abbey ended our race on Sunday.

Time for me to get the MGB back on track I think.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 07:58 (Ref:2500590)   #73
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Top fun weekend. sorry i missed you Terry, it wasn't my car that was in the gravel even :-) Last year I spent all weekend working on the car, this year I never even opened my toolbox - one in the eye to those who say 1980s MGs are unreliable. Cracking race, the Montego is so over-gripped it ovetakes everywhere without braking....round the outside at Bridge, up the inside at Priory, over the top at Maggotts.........

Had a chat to Peter, was coming to find Esper but they all went Sunday morning and I missed him.

As to the venue, there's no doubt about it but Bernie is right. The BRDC should hand the rights over to Palmer, who would NEVER tolerate the state of the toilets or the catering. The look of the place and the attitude of the staff is of a council-run 70s shopping centre. What a disgrace!

PS - JP, were you Metro 23 with Glenn?
Old 13 Jul 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2500608)   #74
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
The state of the loo's has regularly been a talking point,seem's there's a managerial problem,thats all.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 10:19 (Ref:2500691)   #75
JP12
Rookie

England
Bristol
JP12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Top fun weekend. sorry i missed you Terry, it wasn't my car that was in the gravel even :-) Last year I spent all weekend working on the car, this year I never even opened my toolbox - one in the eye to those who say 1980s MGs are unreliable. Cracking race, the Montego is so over-gripped it ovetakes everywhere without braking....round the outside at Bridge, up the inside at Priory, over the top at Maggotts.........

Had a chat to Peter, was coming to find Esper but they all went Sunday morning and I missed him.

As to the venue, there's no doubt about it but Bernie is right. The BRDC should hand the rights over to Palmer, who would NEVER tolerate the state of the toilets or the catering. The look of the place and the attitude of the staff is of a council-run 70s shopping centre. What a disgrace!

PS - JP, were you Metro 23 with Glenn?
Midgetman,

Yes I was sharing Metro 23 with Glenn. The car hadn't been used for a couple of years and it was a bit of a rush to actually get it on track. Hopefully next time out Glenn will have a bit more luck with it.