Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Jul 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2495023)   #26
alc
Rookie

alc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
What nonsense.

Anyone who loves cars and has petrol in their veins would love the Festival of Speed.

There is more history in the paddock at FOS than at most "historic" race meetings.
For a rookie, the paddock's the place - where else can you get up really close with some legendary cars of one's childhood.

The hill has it's moments, as does the air display - a few years ago (2004?) there was that fantastic display of extreme flying in a 747 with live commentary from the pilot.

I envy those who have the motor and funds to drive in such an event, and can see that there may be more attractive alternatives for such people, but don't forget the pleasure you can bring to us less fortunate proles.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2495032)   #27
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am looking forward to it - no one does "spectacle" like Goodwood and as a spectator I am going to be entertained.
I can go to about 3-4 race meetings a year before they start to become same as same as - so this will be a refeshing change!
Old 2 Jul 2009, 14:30 (Ref:2495057)   #28
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Answer to Post 26 first line,most or all the Historic Race Meetings.Try LMC or Silverstone Festival.Monaco HGP on the Friday.
Simon are you trying to get an invite to Revival without paying the grand,crawler!
Old 2 Jul 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2495061)   #29
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Answer to Post 26 first line,most or all the Historic Race Meetings.Try LMC or Silverstone Festival.Monaco HGP on the Friday.
Simon are you trying to get an invite to Revival without paying the grand,crawler!
haha crawler - I prefer "impoverished club racer" and as far as this year is concerned NFI ;o)

although to be fair to HSCC etc Goodwod and the Classic are the only historic meetings large enough to justiify putting on the extra's. If you want to get up close and dirty to the cars as well as watch teh racing there is no place better than Castle Combe...
Old 2 Jul 2009, 16:34 (Ref:2495101)   #30
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMC it is then,its on the list for next year already.
Old 4 Jul 2009, 20:28 (Ref:2495866)   #31
simon drabble
Veteran

well I have had a fantastic day at FoS.. my only criticism is that there was so much to see away from the hillclimb in the paddocks and the rally stage I missed seeing a lot of cars go up the hill!!! However what I did see was very impressive - I would strongly urge anybody who has not been before to go next year and John the number of Astons both old and modern going up the hill would have had you in seventh heaven! Anyone going tomorrow enjoy it and I am sorry not to be going back to see what I missed today!
Old 4 Jul 2009, 22:04 (Ref:2495903)   #32
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The place was packed on Friday, Lord knows how busy it will be tomorrow

There were a few WOW moments but having been for the past 8 years in a row I get the feeling I've seen all but a few of the cars several times before. Certainly all the trade stands, displays and even positions of certain cars/teams in the paddocks hasn't altered for years.

Still there are times when Goodwood can produce their magic....during the second run yesterday the cars running in the middle of a batch were a 312P, XJ13, DBR1, 512S followed by the 2009 Le Mans winning 908.

Some of images from Friday

Jaguar XJ13

Bruno driving his uncle's MP4/4

and Glock laying down some rubber
Old 5 Jul 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2496011)   #33
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
There were a few WOW moments but having been for the past 8 years in a row I get the feeling I've seen all but a few of the cars several times before. Certainly all the trade stands, displays and even positions of certain cars/teams in the paddocks hasn't altered for years.

Still there are times when Goodwood can produce their magic....during the second run yesterday the cars running in the middle of a batch were a 312P, XJ13, DBR1, 512S followed by the 2009 Le Mans winning 908.
I think the risk of deja vous is true of all aspects of historics as there is a finite pool to draw from - for this reason I think the answer is to have a break between each visit!
The XJ13 was sadly sounding a bit rough (or maybe the pilote wasn't on cam?)yetserday. To bring this into another thread I missed the Cologne Capri and a Mk 11 3000GT but did catch the Mick Hill Beetle which I remember as a child!
For me the highlight was the sight in the assembly area of ten 917's together (including one driven by the world's fastest Lancastrian) - not only awesome but I doubt outside of Goodwood likely to be seen....
I know there are at least a couple of ten tenthers going up the hill today - I wish them bon chance!
Old 5 Jul 2009, 10:27 (Ref:2496027)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I think the risk of deja vous is true of all aspects of historics as there is a finite pool to draw from - for this reason I think the answer is to have a break between each visit!
Am starting to think the same about Revival!

The sight of ten 917s together I would like to have seen. Still a favourite.

Great pics, Brands. Thanks. In the nicest sense, the MP4 looks so simple compared with the cluttered thing below!
Old 5 Jul 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2496100)   #35
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
They had a Porsche 917 race at Rennsport Daytona in Nov 07 .!8 cars inc 16 cyl turned up.Brian R was there as it was local as he lives at Vero Beach.Colliers have a few and one is an Attwood car as it came off the track at Spa.

Simon,You are on your way to an entry when the Goodwood 10/10ths delegate reports in.
Old 5 Jul 2009, 13:43 (Ref:2496107)   #36
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Yes its a brilliant spectacle in one place and I have only been once, but as has been said its best to give it a miss for 2 or 3 years (like the NEC Motorsport) IMHO.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Jul 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2496156)   #37
simon drabble
Veteran

Haha JR if only it were that easy to get the nod!! Sadly I think I have missed the cut. I think it is always too easy to use the forums to pick fault in the high profile meetings so when they get it right we should say so... I think the festival crosses the divide between old and new with great success as the number of spectators each year demonstrates
By the way Brian Redman is the guest speaker at Charles Harbord's annual lunch at the revival
Old 5 Jul 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2496273)   #38
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just got home from our Sunday visit and my faith in the FoS has been restored, at least for another year.

A ten tenthers was on the podium this evening picking up a fastest in class award.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2496418)   #39
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I enjoyed myself. Went Sunday afternoon for the first time ever, glad I didn't have to pay to get in as it would have made a sizeable dent in the racing budget. Good fun, maybe won't go now for another 17 years.................
Old 6 Jul 2009, 08:14 (Ref:2496420)   #40
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two excellent days. The diversity of vehicles is the great attraction, an Artega supercar, a Tiger Moth (or similar) engined NZ land speed and race car, Bugattis including the T57s in the Style et Luxe along with the Mini variants, Nascars and many other race and rally cars. I could go on and on and .........
Old 6 Jul 2009, 08:54 (Ref:2496435)   #41
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as someone from the other side of the planet you guys should thank your lucky stars!

I've managed to time a "family holiday" correctly twice in the last ten years or so and I was blown away both times. FoS, Le Mans and Indy 500 would be my 3 "must dos".

A few years ago I found myself chatting to Jacky Ickx and then turned around and had a chat to Richard Petty - unbelievable!

A
Old 6 Jul 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2496450)   #42
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Jacky happen to mention that he is the Mayor of Stavelot?.One of Racings Gentlemen.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2497085)   #43
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the way Brian Redman is the guest speaker at Charles Harbord's annual lunch at the revival Quote Simon Drabble

Complete with 'you a nicer boy' Ferrari story no doubt! Sorry I missed this years festival but Spa had it's compensations; sat outside the Masta Fritte on Friday evening with a magnificent sunset, and the minds eye seeing Pedro, Seppi, Tatty Atty et al n 917's galore through the kink. Mr. Brown can tax all he wants, but he will not tax away those memories.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 21:25 (Ref:2497513)   #44
QuarterRik
Rookie

Belgium
Roeselare
QuarterRik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hello,i was on the Festival as well.Had a great time again.
On saterdaymornig i got a ride in the Steve Perez Lancia Stratos next to Björn Waldegard.It was fantastic.
I would be very happy if there is somone who can send me pictures or a video of that moment.

Old 8 Jul 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2497725)   #45
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Whoops!

Good job it belongs to FMC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7yQq...layer_embedded
Old 8 Jul 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2497760)   #46
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Thankfully it's the replica David Sutton built for them! FEV1H is the original London to Mexico car...
Old 8 Jul 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2497809)   #47
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
here's our report

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/event...-of-Speed.html

which actually only shows a fraction of the shots we took.
Had a ride in the Spyker up the hill on Friday morning, respect for those who haul around the wide cars (Roger?) through the narrow stretches.
Old 8 Jul 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2497858)   #48
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here are some shots of interesting people...
We have: Mick Walsh bringing back the Bugatti 59 to the Cathedral paddock, and Olav Glasius doing the same with his 54 Widdow maker.
Then there is a bored Alan McNish, with two other Audi hot-shots. (Biela clearly showing why he can't drive the R15)
Furthermore John Surtees keeping up the rope for his returning son
Walter Rohrl telling Alexander Wurz how narrow the track is.
Finally there is a shot of Jan Charouz, realising a childhood dream, sitting in Mac F1. He did not manage to get a ride though.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0110.1.jpg   IMG_0136.1.jpg   img_1852.1.jpg  

IMG_1868.1.jpg   IMG_9851.1.jpg   IMG_9854.1.jpg  

Old 8 Jul 2009, 22:12 (Ref:2498007)   #49
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went for the first time this year, I can see where the break every few years would come into it but what a great chance to see such a lot of rare cars in various sorts of motion. Some were just cruising, some doing poor attempts at burnouts (some good ones), some trying very hard (Roger in the Cooper T51 in the Sunday afternoon run-off needs special mention here) while as noted above some tried too hard.

Even with three days there was just too much to see and I suspect the drivers/entrants would have a lot more fun than spectators. Didn't see too many of those except at the top of the hill from afar, but then I suppose I wasn't trawling the pits at the right time. Will I be back? Well I would, but would probably go to Brands to see what that is like first.

Roll on Silverstone
Old 9 Jul 2009, 05:02 (Ref:2498100)   #50
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you, very kind John. Its a great little car and has the advantage of being small and nimble - unlike the March 707 I drove on Sunday morning!