Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Nov 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3165507)   #1
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
HRT for sale

(From AS, in Spanish)

http://www.as.com/motor/articulo/equ...asdasmot_6/Tes

Google Translate says:

Quote:
The fund TC II Sarl., Current owner of the Formula One Spanish team HRT F1 Team today confirmed that "currently holds talks with several groups interested in buying the team."
Old 12 Nov 2012, 15:09 (Ref:3165515)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No surprises, it took so long.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 15:23 (Ref:3165521)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the surprise for me is that several groups are interested!

seriously though, i hope they find a buyer but considering the current economic climate buying an F1 team located in Spain sounds like a hard sell.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 15:57 (Ref:3165527)   #4
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
...and apparently if they're not sold by December 2nd, the team will be dissolved.

Again, Spanish: http://www.elconfidencial.com/deport...gencia-109089/
Old 12 Nov 2012, 16:14 (Ref:3165530)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just going from the translation of the last link you posted Greem, but is yourtake on the translation also that Banco Popular actually owns the team? if it is the bank that owns it i cant imagine their goal is to keep the team operating in F1.

i guess it wont change things much and had a sense of inevitability but still sad imo.

to draw a connection to other sports (and maybe this is too far off topic), in the NBA and NHL they each had teams recently where the league itself assumed control to prevent bankruptcy or relocation. there is a value in all teams in terms of the show and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on whether or not FOM has a responsibility to step in and keep teams from going under?
Old 12 Nov 2012, 17:32 (Ref:3165546)   #6
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
From what I can glean from a number of sources the bank is a major shareholder in a managed fund which controls the team - an investment fund of sorts. If it's the sort of fund which needs investments to go up (as we all want) then piling money into an F1 team is not a good investment so it looks like they want to realise their assets (or cut their losses) by selling up.

As for comparing to the NHL or NBA or other franchised operations of that sort I wouldn't think FOM would be remotely interested in helping HRT out. In your example the franchises have a long history and the name is important - unfortunately HRT have a short history and have not been very successful. I dare say there are regulars on Tenths who would be more than happy to see them disappear from the F1 grid.

Just another example of the financial bias towards the grandee teams, really.

From an investment perspective the old gag rings true: to make a small fortune in motorsport, start with a large one.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3165551)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
hopefully the bank chooses to sell up rather than sell out to get what they can for those assets...which may or may not include a brand new F1 factory in Spain which may or may not make more than toasters.

thats a good point about the history of the franchises involved. iirc FOM has in the past given prize money early to Williams too help them out in difficult financial times and also possibly Renault once maybe. although that might have also involved them to signing a concord agreement early but again those are two very storied F1 franchises and deserve more consideration then HRT.

i guess i would just like to see FOM do more to help the smaller privateer teams.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 17:50 (Ref:3165552)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
In English: http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...ale-by-owners/

They haven't signed up to the new concorde agreement, nor have they been made any kind of offer by which to base the continuation of their existence on, with regard to pay outs from Bernie. So, any new ownership would need to take that into consideration before making a large fortune become a small one.

EDIT: Anyway, where better to announce that you are for sale than in the U.S.A.

USF1 beckons!

Last edited by Marbot; 12 Nov 2012 at 18:10.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3165568)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
EDIT: Anyway, where better to announce that you are for sale than in the U.S.A.

USF1 beckons!
All they need is to make a new livery and put the US flag.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 19:06 (Ref:3165579)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I don't think that's all they need do, but I get the picture.

It's another one of those 'chance in a life time' moments for anyone wanting to dive in amongst the 'Pirahna's'.
Old 12 Nov 2012, 19:56 (Ref:3165590)   #11
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Joe Saward has hit the nail on the head with HRT. He expects 11 teams in F1 next year and I agree with him.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/...-not-to-do-it/
Old 12 Nov 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3165643)   #12
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
the surprise for me is that several groups are interested!
'Taking an interest' is a cheap thing to do. The question is how many are serious.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 09:18 (Ref:3165801)   #13
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
No HRT = Caterham and Marussia looking even worse next year.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 09:23 (Ref:3165802)   #14
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd rather buy Comet.

Sold for £2 last time!
Old 13 Nov 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3165806)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
And a bloody big toaster oven for Mr Baguette

Is Mr Windsor still available?

UsF1 Does Youtube

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Nov 2012, 12:59 (Ref:3165867)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
And a bloody big toaster oven for Mr Baguette

Is Mr Windsor still available?

UsF1 Does Youtube

I almost forgot abou this !
Old 13 Nov 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3165903)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
No HRT = Caterham and Marussia looking even worse next year.
Given the amount of money each has 'invested' in F1, perverse as it is, you'd have to say that HRT have probably achieved most out of the three of these... which is a pretty terrible indictment of the other two. Caterham have been the biggest disappointment.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3165922)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Given the amount of money each has 'invested' in F1, perverse as it is, you'd have to say that HRT have probably achieved most out of the three of these... which is a pretty terrible indictment of the other two. Caterham have been the biggest disappointment.
Well, if we're going to have it as amount of money spent on overall performance over the last 3 years or so, then you would have to look at one or two of the teams higher up the grid to find a far worse return than either of the 'new' teams have managed.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 21:30 (Ref:3166025)   #19
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well, if we're going to have it as amount of money spent on overall performance over the last 3 years or so, then you would have to look at one or two of the teams higher up the grid to find a far worse return than either of the 'new' teams have managed.
Yep... you're not wrong there !
Old 13 Nov 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3166064)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are prodrive kicking the tyres on this one?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Nov 2012, 23:45 (Ref:3166085)   #21
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Althiugh you are kind of dividing by 0
Old 14 Nov 2012, 11:43 (Ref:3166227)   #22
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will offer them US$5.00 while in Austin...
Old 14 Nov 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3166252)   #23
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I wouldn't have thought so - if they still want to get into F1 I'd have thought they could look closer to home for a team to buy or buy into. HRT aren't the only ones that need money or are for sale - Marussia (located pretty much next door to Prodrive), Caterham, Force India and Lotus would all probably be up for grabs if you were serious enough. HRT is the least attractive option - in reality the only thing they have that's worth anything is the entry. The facilities are in effect worthless - if you bought the team you'd need to relocate to 'motorsport valley' otherwise you'd have the same problems recruiting staff that HRT have now.
Old 14 Nov 2012, 13:40 (Ref:3166257)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
They can't afford tyres.

Prodrive were never going to come into F1 unless it was via customer cars or a £40 million budget cap.

Current chance that Prodrive will enter F1 = 0
Old 14 Nov 2012, 14:13 (Ref:3166270)   #25
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
They can't afford tyres.

Prodrive were never going to come into F1 unless it was via customer cars and a £40 million budget cap.

Current chance that Prodrive will enter F1 = 0
Just needed to make a slight correction there... and David Richards is absolutely right on that. The current situation is ridiculous... as borne out by success of the 'new' teams.