Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Mar 2013, 07:23 (Ref:3214918)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Maldonado's future!?! Hugo Chavez dies...

We may get to find out fairly soon how much longer Maldonado keeps his F1 PDVSA backing as the Venezuelan President has just died.

I believe there was a lot of anti Chavez movement already at the time he allowed all that financialsupport to go to Williams and the main rival had said he would stop all that?

The next few months will be interesting....
Old 6 Mar 2013, 09:07 (Ref:3214951)   #2
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My guess he will probably be okay for this year but 2014 might well be very different. If Maldonado calms his wild moments he might be able to stay in F1 on merit, providing his place does not go to another pay driver.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3215007)   #3
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
That he's actually a winning driver and a guy with a high profile means that he is probably safe although some of the less high profile drivers that have been fielded in other series will probably get the axe. The Chavista party might decline but even if they do they are always going to be powerful enough to bargain in Venezuelan politics in some sort of way.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 11:55 (Ref:3215023)   #4
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This situation remind me the one that Fangio did cope after the military coup that deposed Juan Perón in September 1955. He could stay and survive in F1 and won two more championships. But faced some problems in his daily life, in Argentina his goods were menaced by a potential embargo, and even he was prevented to race in Venezuela during late 1957 because Perón was exiled there. For me is not so unlogical Fangio retired from F1 in 1958, when Argentina restored democracy that year.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 14:00 (Ref:3215071)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There will be a new election in 30 days. If the "Chavistas" win the election then maybe Williams (and what Maldonado really means there) will get some more time. Point is, the current and maybe future president will have to make alliances and change deeply the current regime if he wants to stay in power. Analysts are already alerting the delicate, if not critical, situation that Cuba will be after Chavez's death, and so this is an indication that PDVSA policies will change radically.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3215079)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would be surprised if Sir Frank hasn't already thought of something.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 14:19 (Ref:3215088)   #7
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I would be surprised if Sir Frank hasn't already thought of something.
Oh S*** probably
Old 6 Mar 2013, 15:40 (Ref:3215118)   #8
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Williams already got the full 2013 amount from PDVSA before Christmas.
For 2014 of course Maldonado may have to make himself truly indispensable to F1.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3215195)   #9
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
Well Williams already got the full 2013 amount from PDVSA before Christmas.
For 2014 of course Maldonado may have to make himself truly indispensable to F1.
I can't see him being capable of doing that. I would have thought that there are a few other midfield-capable runners with money, why would anyone pay him?
Old 7 Mar 2013, 08:47 (Ref:3215430)   #10
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maldonado will not be driving for Williams F1 in 2014.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 11:38 (Ref:3215491)   #11
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Chavez is a martyr type in Venezuela. Maldonado is national icon in Venezuela.

Maldonado hasn't got a problem.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 14:11 (Ref:3215560)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

Not good enough. Could you elaborate in depth what that means ? But first you should read the papers about the political situation in Venezuela.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 14:12 (Ref:3215561)   #13
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

Or they could decide internally to not do it and the publicly divert blame/attention to the US. Just like when Chavez died, they can kick a few US diplomates out at about the same time they announce Maldanado is no longer in F1.

Richard
Old 7 Mar 2013, 14:29 (Ref:3215566)   #14
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that Maldonado won't be affected too much. But I think Cecotto Jr and the likes will miss the boat as a result of this.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 15:48 (Ref:3215601)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Not good enough. Could you elaborate in depth what that means ? But first you should read the papers about the political situation in Venezuela.
lol, here's my commentary then. Chavez has built up an election machine in which the poor of that country can extend power and which broke open the two party stranglehold which the top people held in their hands. That was something very new that Chavez did and there's no scrapping that. The Chavistas will be political players at worst and most probably king-makers. Maldonado is a very popular national figure there. The opposition angle themselves as patriots so they are not going to tear down a national winner. He don't be undermined without creating uproar although the rest of those obscure oil-funded race programs are certainly up for grabs. I haven't even started talking about how split the opposition are in their challenge to Chavez successor.

Johnny Jr is in the opposition camp so his prospects might be improved in the medium to long run although I doubt the Cecotto camp are placing many bets on that.

We'll see how things unfold of course.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 17:16 (Ref:3215628)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
pastor for president?

(i'm only half joking...)
Old 7 Mar 2013, 19:50 (Ref:3215691)   #17
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Williams have a long term deal with PDVSA according to Joe Saward, how long I don't know but such a deal may be difficult to break.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/...chavez-and-f1/
Old 7 Mar 2013, 20:26 (Ref:3215705)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
maybe im missing something but i do the politics even matter?

if PVDSA stays a nationalized company wont they continue to do things the same way and if it goes private wont they then act like any other private/semi private oil corporation out there (ie ExxonMobil, Shell, BP) and continue with sponsorship in F1. public or private, its just what these companies do isnt it?
Old 7 Mar 2013, 22:56 (Ref:3215779)   #19
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
There's not a hope in hell the opposition will regain that type of dominance that they will be able to privatise PVDSA outright. Not in the next 5 years. The opposition are far too split and the PVDSA itself is too iconic.

They may get enough traction to cut some of those programs mind you.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 23:04 (Ref:3217633)   #20
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Venezuelan driver Roberto La Rocca had signed for Bamboo Engineering in GP3, but he has lost the drive "...because the support of his sponsors has now become uncertain as a result of the changing political situation in his Venezuelan homeland following the death of president Hugo Chavez last week."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105969

Don't know if that has any bearing on PDVSA/Maldonado.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 23:20 (Ref:3217636)   #21
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have a little malice over that they missed Sennas Embratel and Gillette millions. He definetly deserved another shot as I see he was kicked out by Wolff and not anyone else. Let's see how Bottas will do, but I'm almost certain it won't make a difference, but hey, thats me.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 00:06 (Ref:3217650)   #22
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The legacy of Chavism is so strong in their supporters' hearts in form that the designed candidate of them for the forthcoming elections (Maduro) is the favourite to win next April in the presidentials. With that secure, it's keen to continue PDVSA sponsorship to Venezuelan drivers.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 12:06 (Ref:3217796)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Indeed, the key point is how long and the way that Maduro will handle this "chavism". One thing is the man himself and another is someone else making up to maintain that status quo...
Old 13 Mar 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3218033)   #24
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
Venezuelan driver Roberto La Rocca had signed for Bamboo Engineering in GP3, but he has lost the drive "...because the support of his sponsors has now become uncertain as a result of the changing political situation in his Venezuelan homeland following the death of president Hugo Chavez last week."
La Rocca has issued a press release pointing out that is not true and he he chose not to continue with the team after Atech was sold to Baboon. As he has a double F3 progrmme in place funds appear to be available.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 01:15 (Ref:3218142)   #25
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
maybe im missing something but i do the politics even matter?

if PVDSA stays a nationalized company wont they continue to do things the same way and if it goes private wont they then act like any other private/semi private oil corporation out there (ie ExxonMobil, Shell, BP) and continue with sponsorship in F1. public or private, its just what these companies do isnt it?
I agree.

I think Maldonado is past the point where he's simply "pay to play". He's a decent enough driver, and stands a good chance of being picked up by higher-ranking teams very soon, IMO.