Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Feb 2014, 23:23 (Ref:3365863)   #2601
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Saw this in my Facebook feed (corrected for typos and to make the link inactive):
Quote:
If you are having trouble accessing the new RACER.com please be sure to delete all saved Racer addresses from bookmarks, history, everywhere. Then type in Racer.com and re-save everything again. And if that doesn't work, please email us at webmaster at racer.com and let us know what internet browser you are using. Thanks for your patience.
And you can test to see if it works on this Marshall Pruett article on “Coyote closing in on debut of new DP bodywork.”

A highlight. Gary Nelson of Coyote says:

Quote:
So leaving Daytona, our plan is to have the bodywork just before or just after Sebring for testing. If the phone rings right away and somebody wants to buy it, then we'll be able to race at Sebring if we need to.
and
Quote:
Although Nelson is not quite ready to reveal images of the body to the public, a sneak peek showed the design features tall, rakish front wheel arches reminiscent of the Lotus T128 P2 car, and heavily downward sloping sidepods, similar to the Onroak Morgan P2 chassis.

AXR ran a second car at the Rolex 24 in partnership with Delta Motorsport. The No. 9 Millennium-sponsored DP finished third, and could appear at future rounds, but those plans are still being sorted between Coyote, AXR and Delta.
Old 9 Feb 2014, 17:44 (Ref:3366116)   #2602
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Strange that the ADR Delta/AXR Coyote bodywork has so many shades of other cars (headlights reportedly inspired by the Lotus T128, which were basically cribbed from the 2011-2013 sprint race spec Audi R18, and the side pod down-slope ahead of the rear wheels inspired seemingly by the OAK Pescarolo/Morgan and post 2010 Lola LMPs), when we all know that ADR Delta/G-Drive run Oreca-Nissans in the WEC.

Considering that, I'd have expected to see more Oreca influences than the Audi/Lotus and Lola/OAK inspired aero tweaks.

And as far as M-B, Lamborghini, Nissan and McLaren, there's really nothing stopping the teams from running those cars, but those teams right now don't have a program for homogating the cars to IMSA GTD specs (getting rid of special electronics and running spec aero parts). The Merc could've run as early as 2011 because it had a GA-spec roll cage, Nissan wants to enter a car by mid-season (per rumor), and it's been rumored that McLaren want to develop a GTD spec car before the end of the season. That leaves Lambo, but considering that Lamborghini is part of Volkswagen Group (owned essentially by Audi), and VAG already have Audi and Porsche racing in GTD, it's probably up to privateers to run and develop a GTD spec Lambo, considering that though there are GT3 Lambos, I don't think that Lamborghini and VAG are interested in developing a GTD car.

But back to the ADR Delta/AXR/Coyote tie up. I'm surprised that some haven't questioned how this could upset BOP withing the DP side of the Prototype class. Here's my points on why such a radical piece of bodywork is allowed. One, DP's can't get away with being a quasi-spec class now that they're racing against more advanced cars. Two, there's currently no Generation 7 Corvette DP bodywork (I assume that AXR wants to retain Chevy power for right now). And three, we have to remember that AXR's team manager is one Gary Nelson. As in Gary Nelson of NASCAR fame. Some of us know him as the long time NASCAR Competition Director, where he mulled over technical regs for NASCAR's top three divisions. But then again, some of us also remember how he got his job at NASCAR, and how Robin Pemberton got the post when Gary got promoted to NASCAR R&D and then left NASCAR to work part time as a consultant for NASCAR R&D. I'll sum that up here: Gary Nelson was the Chad Knaus of his day...

Last edited by chernaudi; 9 Feb 2014 at 17:55.
Old 9 Feb 2014, 18:09 (Ref:3366121)   #2603
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Strange that the ADR Delta/AXR Coyote bodywork has so many shades of other cars (headlights reportedly inspired by the Lotus T128, which were basically cribbed from the 2011-2013 sprint race spec Audi R18, and the side pod down-slope ahead of the rear wheels inspired seemingly by the OAK Pescarolo/Morgan and post 2010 Lola LMPs), when we all know that ADR Delta/G-Drive run Oreca-Nissans in the WEC.

Considering that, I'd have expected to see more Oreca influences than the Audi/Lotus and Lola/OAK inspired aero tweaks.

And as far as M-B, Lamborghini, Nissan and McLaren, there's really nothing stopping the teams from running those cars, but those teams right now don't have a program for homogating the cars to IMSA GTD specs (getting rid of special electronics and running spec aero parts). The Merc could've run as early as 2011 because it had a GA-spec roll cage, Nissan wants to enter a car by mid-season (per rumor), and it's been rumored that McLaren want to develop a GTD spec car before the end of the season. That leaves Lambo, but considering that Lamborghini is part of Volkswagen Group (owned essentially by Audi), and VAG already have Audi and Porsche racing in GTD, it's probably up to privateers to run and develop a GTD spec Lambo, considering that though there are GT3 Lambos, I don't think that Lamborghini and VAG are interested in developing a GTD car.

But back to the ADR Delta/AXR/Coyote tie up. I'm surprised that some haven't questioned how this could upset BOP withing the DP side of the Prototype class. Here's my points on why such a radical piece of bodywork is allowed. One, DP's can't get away with being a quasi-spec class now that they're racing against more advanced cars. Two, there's currently no Generation 7 Corvette DP bodywork (I assume that AXR wants to retain Chevy power for right now). And three, we have to remember that AXR's team manager is one Gary Nelson. As in Gary Nelson of NASCAR fame. Some of us know him as the long time NASCAR Competition Director, where he mulled over technical regs for NASCAR's top three divisions. But then again, some of us also remember how he got his job at NASCAR, and how Robin Pemberton got the post when Gary got promoted to NASCAR R&D and then left NASCAR to work part time as a consultant for NASCAR R&D. I'll sum that up here: Gary Nelson was the Chad Knaus of his day...
it will look the same as the others DPs are to spec to be different.
Old 9 Feb 2014, 18:27 (Ref:3366125)   #2604
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If the final product lives up to the sketches that Pruett was shown, it'll look quite a bit different than the other DP bodies available right now, especially the nose/front fenders and side pod profile.

The only limitation is that the body has to be capable of fitting other chassis than the Coyote chassis with little to no modification, that's unless that rule got dropped with the IMSA/GA merger, and Nelson has expressed a desire to sell the new body to customers, even to those who run Riley or Dallara chassis.

But even at that, because of chassis regs and BOP, I'd bet that the body won't be very extreme aside from styling cues, which is what the DP's IMO need right now. The Corvette bodywork is out of date (the C6 is no longer in production), and the Ford bodywork looks virtually identical to the generic Riley DP bodywork--a different shape for the radiator grille isn't exactly a big change. Only other difference between Ford and generic for Riley is that the Ford side pods are angled downwards (sort of like what the AXR/ADR bodywork might have) to provide a place to mount intakes for the turbochargers/intercoolers.
Old 9 Feb 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3366132)   #2605
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post

But even at that, because of chassis regs and BOP, I'd bet that the body won't be very extreme aside from styling cues, which is what the DP's IMO need right now. The Corvette bodywork is out of date (the C6 is no longer in production), and the Ford bodywork looks virtually identical to the generic Riley DP bodywork--a different shape for the radiator grille isn't exactly a big change. Only other difference between Ford and generic for Riley is that the Ford side pods are angled downwards (sort of like what the AXR/ADR bodywork might have) to provide a place to mount intakes for the turbochargers/intercoolers.
Not that the "Corvette" DP looks like the C6, or any Corvette. Change the tail and headlamps to C7 similars, and voil*!

IIRC, didn't a team use stickers to make the headlamps look like it had the C7 LED's?

Last edited by Breitling24; 9 Feb 2014 at 19:28.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 9 Feb 2014, 19:30 (Ref:3366141)   #2606
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
The side scallops behind the front wheels are actually very similar (in appearance) to the Corvette (think a hybrid of the C6's fender vents and the "pontoon" fenders of modern LMPs).

To make a "reasonably convincing" C7 DP body, both the front and rear clips, and some of the side pod bodywork, would have to be remolded to have the psudo-production car look.

And, it goes without saying that the C6 Corvette bodywork looked to be heavily aped from LMP1 Evo Corvette render that Pratt & Miller made a few years ago.
Old 9 Feb 2014, 20:49 (Ref:3366173)   #2607
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To let people get on with talking about potential and real entries here's another thread to talk about what we would like in this series if we deserved it.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140746

Old 10 Feb 2014, 18:01 (Ref:3366520)   #2608
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Marshall Pruett provides an update of sorts on the GAINSCO situation. Their existing car was destroyed at Daytona, whether they purchase a replacement and if so of what (DP) type is TBD. Bob Stallings describes the situation this way:

Quote:
"And then I need to sit down with [GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing team manager] Terry Wilbert to look at what it's going to cost to get back out with a new car. We're going to miss Sebring, but we have time to make the next two endurance races and our home race at Texas, which was our plan. I should have an answer in about seven days about what we're going to do or not do."
and

Quote:
"If we come back this year, we need to figure out if we're going to change chassis first and that decision will dictate what we do and the time involved to get going again."​
Old 10 Feb 2014, 18:37 (Ref:3366536)   #2609
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So Gainsco seem to think the Dallara is now the superior chassis, interesting.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 18:46 (Ref:3366547)   #2610
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/al...-oak-for-naec/
Alex Brundle switching to OAK Racing for the rest of the NAEC
Old 10 Feb 2014, 21:13 (Ref:3366618)   #2611
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Marshall Pruett provides an update of sorts on the GAINSCO situation. Their existing car was destroyed at Daytona, whether they purchase a replacement and if so of what (DP) type is TBD.
So for Sebring the grid will be a little different. One has to wonder if Risi will be ready following that crash?
The other entries from Daytona that will not be at Sebring:
SMP 458 GTD (one off, leased from ESM)
AMR Vantage GTLM (one off, NAEC was possible but not happy with BoP)
Gainsco DP (crash)

- I was told that the Delta ADR Oreca 03 was going to replace the AXR DP #9 entry but there were some hold ups so who knows now?
- Will Starworks be ready in time with the HPD engine?
- Falken will be there with their new 991 RSR
- 12 PC were entered full season but only 9 were at Daytona, if they can find funding there is room now.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 22:05 (Ref:3366646)   #2612
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
So for Sebring the grid will be a little different. One has to wonder if Risi will be ready following that crash?
Risi has said that Matteo Malucelli will be back in a car at the Sebring test. If not theirs (or a interim loaner chassis) than I'm not sure whose it would be, unless Ferrari were running a test car of their own as WEC prep.

Is the absence of AMR confirmed? I know they were threatening to pull out, but I didn't see anything further.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 22:15 (Ref:3366649)   #2613
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Risi has said that Matteo Malucelli will be back in a car at the Sebring test. If not theirs (or a interim loaner chassis) than I'm not sure whose it would be, unless Ferrari were running a test car of their own as WEC prep.
Probably Krohn. Risi and Krohn seem to have gone back to the '07-'09 team setup.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 22:28 (Ref:3366663)   #2614
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could be, I suppose, if neither Bertolini or Dumbreck are continuing with Krohn at Sebring. Otherwise I'd guess they'd only have Matteo drive the Krohn car if there was some benefit into getting him back in a car ASAP, and I'm not sure what that would be.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 22:31 (Ref:3366667)   #2615
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Is there a limit on how many drivers they can rotate in the car during the test? If there isn't, I suspect they can quite happily append Matteo to the existing Krohn driver squad for a couple of days.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 22:37 (Ref:3366670)   #2616
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Nah, of course there's nothing to prevent that and they might well. If it were me, I think I'd want to maximize the time the gentleman driver spends testing, but that is only my take.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 22:56 (Ref:3366680)   #2617
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nah, of course there's nothing to prevent that and they might well. If it were me, I think I'd want to maximize the time the gentleman driver spends testing, but that is only my take.

I guess I can see Risi teaming up with Krohn in the 57 at Sebring until a new or newly rebuilt 62 car is ready for Long Beach.

Also I wonder if Starworks will have the funding to run their DP car at Sebring. Remember they got away with one at Daytona because no diffuser was needed. Now teams have to commit to forking over the cash for that thing. Is that highway for help team in the same situation?
Old 11 Feb 2014, 00:25 (Ref:3366705)   #2618
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
I guess I can see Risi teaming up with Krohn in the 57 at Sebring until a new or newly rebuilt 62 car is ready for Long Beach.

Also I wonder if Starworks will have the funding to run their DP car at Sebring. Remember they got away with one at Daytona because no diffuser was needed. Now teams have to commit to forking over the cash for that thing. Is that highway for help team in the same situation?
The #50 Highway to Help applied for and was awarded a NAEC entry, so I'd have to assume that means that they're doing all four NAEC races until we hear otherwise. As for Starworks, I can’t immediately find the article, but Peter Barons has said the team has funding and grid spots at minimum for a NAEC effort. The story IIRC strongly implied that we'll see the car all season long.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 00:49 (Ref:3366711)   #2619
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
The other entries from Daytona that will not be at Sebring:
SMP 458 GTD (one off, leased from ESM)
AMR Vantage GTLM (one off, NAEC was possible but not happy with BoP)
Gainsco DP (crash)

- I was told that the Delta ADR Oreca 03 was going to replace the AXR DP #9 entry but there were some hold ups so who knows now?
- Will Starworks be ready in time with the HPD engine?
- Falken will be there with their new 991 RSR
- 12 PC were entered full season but only 9 were at Daytona, if they can find funding there is room now.
One more subtraction: the third Scuderia Corsa car (#65 with the Via Italia racing design) was I believe a Daytona-only entry as well.

AMR may or may not be at Sebring. Risi's status is unclear, but if there's a constraint, it's financial, not car or parts availability.

There are at least 3 grid spots available for Sebring and PC would seem the most obvious source for cars to claim them. So far, no one seems to have stepped up (or at least has said anything publicly about claiming them.) Eric Lux's money is up for grab, so maybe that's enough to get some team into the race. Hopefully, there will be more news next week on the entry front from the test.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 04:05 (Ref:3366729)   #2620
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Is the absence of AMR confirmed? I know they were threatening to pull out, but I didn't see anything further.
Thanks.
As for AMR, I got it directly from them at Daytona that although they had paid for an NAEC entry, any participation past Daytona was highly unlikely and if they did, it would most likely be Sebring only. The car is owned by an executive of Valero in Texas so it is his wishes as a customer, not AMR's as a works effort I was told. I hope they end up sticking around. The way the were treated, I'm not counting on it.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 04:10 (Ref:3366730)   #2621
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
One more subtraction: the third Scuderia Corsa car (#65 with the Via Italia racing design) was I believe a Daytona-only entry as well.

AMR may or may not be at Sebring. Risi's status is unclear, but if there's a constraint, it's financial, not car or parts availability.
I had been told funding was in place for Risi full season before Daytona, if that has changed after the damage I don't know.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 23:48 (Ref:3367139)   #2622
TheMightyM
Veteran

Marshall Pruett provides an update on the Risi situation here. Car is a write-off from the hit it took at Daytona. They're looking for a replacement ($500,000 or more). A quote:

Quote:
The question for Mayer & company centers on when the rebuild process can begin and how much time they'll have to prepare for Round 2 at the Sebring 12 Hours on March 15.

"Time's getting shorter every day, so we won't make the Sebring test (on Feb. 20-21) with the red car; we'll be there with the green [Krohn] car, and then we'll have to push to hopefully get ready for the 12 Hours," said [team engineer Rick] Mayer. "We've been fast at Sebring in the past, but missing the test won't help with most of the other teams there learning while we're putting together a new car, but Giuseppe's resilient and so is the team he's assembled."​
Old 13 Feb 2014, 21:40 (Ref:3368126)   #2623
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.imsa.com/articles/jdc-mil...llenge-program
JDC-Miller Motorsports moves up to full-season PC entry (like Falken Tire) from reserve.
Old 13 Feb 2014, 22:12 (Ref:3368148)   #2624
TheMightyM
Veteran

Which gets us to at most 66 known entries for Sebring. And with JDC/Miller confirmed for the season from the second alternative PC slot, that's not an encouraging sign for the status of the other PC cars ahead of it on the pre-season entry list (2 x Level 5, second BAR1 Motorsports, Pickett Racing.)

The GTD alternate list is also depleted though we may see some new teams/cars appear later in the season. I would suppose that a second Turner Motorsport BMW Z4 is the most likely near-term possibility in that class.

And then there's Project Libra, which is they're capable of putting something together would have to be very close to being granted an entry.

Hopefully there will be some surprise additional entries for Sebring...
Old 14 Feb 2014, 18:48 (Ref:3368530)   #2625
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Oak Racing is stating their Asian team(Ligier JS P2 HPD) will race some TUDOR races this year.