Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jun 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1641370)   #1
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rosberg another Massa?

is nico rosberg another felipe massa?after holding up his team mate in qualifying on the first lap he had a coming together with montoya .

well he said he didnt see montoya as that would be the only thing that would explain the way he turned in on montoya but being the first lap he should havethought maybe someone mightr be there i should hold my line and see once im out of the corner.

or maybe he thought he hads enough room to shut the door on montoya which clearly he didnt.

i would say he is like massa shows speed and ability but gets to agrsive sometimes and his agresion overtakes his ability.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 08:37 (Ref:1641382)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
He's going the right way about creating much attention to himself that's for sure.

Firstly i'd like to explain how I saw 'the incident' which will lead to my summary of Nico at present.

JPM clearly liked the feel of his car yesterday and was on a bit of a mission, having dealt with MS on lap one. Nico seemed to be struggling on 'cold' tyres and was scrabbling about, driving defensively. JPM had froced him onto the dirty stuff along the last straight and into the final chiacne which would've made it even harder for him to keep his line.

The incident shouldn't have happened full stop - as when JPM and MS arrived at the second chicane side by side on lap one, one of them did the sensible thing and let it go otherwise contact.

So why didn't Nico do the same a lap later?

It was clear that JPM was gonna have him sometime soon so why ruin your own race? We were lucky it wasn't a total track blockage as MS could've been been embroiled in the carnage too.

One thing is clear Nico is a quick driver with lots of potential, but he's learning the hard way. I actually think he talks a lot like JV did when he came into it!
Old 26 Jun 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1641409)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I think Nico is having a good season so far, yes yesterday he messed up but providing he learns from that mistake then I dont see a problem, its all part of the learning process. Massa has had several years to adapt to F1 and he now finally seems to be doing so, however, the first couple of seasons he was all over the place, far more mistakes than Rosberg has made so far. IMO.

Rosberg is a rookie and he is sometimes making rookie mistakes. That is to be expected, next year however I will be expecting less in the way of mistakes and more in the way of points from him and I think that he will do exactly that.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 09:51 (Ref:1641445)   #4
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You would have thought after Qualifying that Nico would have learnt to use his mirrors in the race.

I think Nico deserves to be in F1, but whether he is going to be a future champion, im not quite convinced. He reminds me of a young Button.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1641479)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't say he has reminded me of anyone! Apart from, in looks, his Dad!

I am enjoying him being on the grid though.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1641483)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Rosberg is a bit of a shorty though... when he got out of the Williams after smashing it... he looked like there was about a foot of fabric missing in the middle of his racesuit
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 26 Jun 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1641486)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
How can you say he's another Massa? It's his first season lol

Selby
Old 26 Jun 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1641491)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
As a Montoya fan, I thought what Nico did was fair game, Nico had every right to turn in as imo he was ahead into the corner with Montoya only half alongside. It was 50-50 at best.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 10:54 (Ref:1641516)   #9
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With most other drivers Nico probably would have got away with it as they would have backed off when he blocked but I don't think Jaun if familiar with the concept. Nico should have known better but he has plenty of potential if he can get his head right, I don't think Massa on the other hand has every really had any.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 10:54 (Ref:1641517)   #10
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll learn.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 12:08 (Ref:1641559)   #11
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was a bit disapointed with the accident. It was a silly racing icident, but still a racing icident. He is driving a car that is unreliable, he looks to be quick, adn his team mate seems to have a consistant, albeit small edge on him.

He has madea few little mistakes this year...but you have to expect it. I dont think he has done anything to warrant criticisim.

LOL, that said,i suspect he has a mean competitive streak which means he will be good to watch once he settles down and is consistantly up the front
Old 26 Jun 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1641566)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For a rookie, he's a promising driver, any other way would be too harsh with the kid.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1641673)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
He's lost it!

No hope for him now; he's over the hill.

Retire now, young Rosberg, you don't deserve your seat anymore: do something for the good of F1, and give way to some up and coming talent that is more deserving of a place.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1641686)   #14
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He messed up this weekend, but I still think he deserves is place in F1. I also think more of him than of Massa

Give the kid till end of the season, and then judge.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1641782)   #15
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This was clearly a case of JPM at his bullying best. Nico would have none of it .... and good for him. It cost him dearly but he established himself as not a pancy who will not be intimidated. Perhaps next time JPM will think twice, but likely not. As I saw the incident, it was close but JPM was not alongside, had a chance to back off, but as usual risked it all in the 1st lap.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1641789)   #16
dclarke
Rookie

Scotland
Edinburgh
dclarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that it was a complete
Old 26 Jun 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1641791)   #17
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the term "rookie" gives the wrong impression. Nico started racing karts at 8 yrs old, has done all the junior forlmula, inc Euro F3, and won GP2. If he hasn't learned racecraft by now, maybe he never will. Lots of drivers are fast, lots of drivers are brave, lots of drivers never win in F1. I actually like Nico in a perverse way, he's a bit like his Dad was - very brave.
As for who was to blame? well I'd say it was a racing incident, but one that was ultimately avoidable - Nico could have (maybe should have) conceded the corner, but is young brave and a bit hotheaded (and more than a little full of himself) - JPM could have (maybe should have) backed off or found a cleaner place to pass, but he too is very brave and a bit hotheaded and knows that 99.9% of the time the other driver will concede. That said, JPM was inside and Nico SHOULD have known he was there and not tunred in.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1641802)   #18
dclarke
Rookie

Scotland
Edinburgh
dclarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that the incident between Rosberg and Massa was a complete racing accadent however an avoidable accadent. Both drivers had the right to position their cars in those positions as they both thought that they could gain/keep the position on the next corner.

As for comparing Rosberg to Massa ...

Rosberg showed A LOT of potential in GP2 and I think if he is given the time he will start prooving himself in Formula 1. He has only competed in 9 races in Formula 1 so I think its pointless comparing these 2 very different drivers at this time.

Last edited by dclarke; 26 Jun 2006 at 17:24.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1641805)   #19
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The incident shouldn't have happened full stop - as when JPM and MS arrived at the second chicane side by side on lap one, one of them did the sensible thing and let it go otherwise contact.

So why didn't Nico do the same a lap later?
Why is it always the other guy that is supposed to pull out if it is a battle between Montoya and someone else? Why does Montoya not need to learn to use his head. Trying to pass at this place in lap 1 when everyone is side by side anyways - okay. Trying in the situation in lap 2 was asking for a get together.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1641946)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nico was pretty poor game yesterday after a fabulous qualifying. I still admire him greatly and think he will go far, but he learnt a harsh lesson yesterday. You can't just turn in on people when they are alongside you.

It was a shame, as it ruined the races of two people who looked fired up.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1641987)   #21
Kirk
Veteran

I hear what you are saying Knowlesy, but on the flip side you can't let drivers take liberties against you. Nico has made a statement, on the track; and an important one with his career in front of him, and one that could buy him some space and respect in traffic. Other talented and fast drivers have failed to do the same early in their careers and it has cost them.

Last edited by Kirk; 26 Jun 2006 at 20:03.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1642020)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
As a Montoya fan, I thought what Nico did was fair game, Nico had every right to turn in as imo he was ahead into the corner with Montoya only half alongside. It was 50-50 at best.
I don't agree. Juan Pablo had the corner. He put Nico in the position to either pull out or have an accident, he had an accident. Juan Pablo put Michael in the same position, Michael pulled out, went across the grass and scored good points.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1642021)   #23
Kirk
Veteran

A quote taken from F1racing.net, reveals JPM's (rather warped) sense of open wheel racing:

News

Montoya rants at Rosberg
26 June 2006
Juan Pablo Montoya ranted at Nico Rosberg claiming the Williams driver caused their second lap contact which put Rosberg in the wall and sent Montoya back to the pits for a new nose.

"He's racing - and one thing is racing hard and if you want to touch wheels I don't mind," said a bullish Montoya. "He was turning in the chicane when I had him already - I was on the inside, right next to him and he turned in."

He may have thought he had him, but Nico still had his wheels ahead of JPM. JPM always seems to exaggerate the part about being alongside. He said the same thing of JV when he crashed heavily last season. As stated by Monster, at best this was a 50-50 affair with two strong personalities clashing (and likely not for the last time).

Last edited by Kirk; 26 Jun 2006 at 20:38.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1642022)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi
Why is it always the other guy that is supposed to pull out if it is a battle between Montoya and someone else? Why does Montoya not need to learn to use his head. Trying to pass at this place in lap 1 when everyone is side by side anyways - okay. Trying in the situation in lap 2 was asking for a get together.
Ermm, isn't the point of F1 to overtake the car in front? Juan Pablo tried this at a valid passing place. Had it been the other way round and Juan Pablo turned in on Rosberg he'd have been crucified on this board.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1642028)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
He said the same thing of JV when he crashed heavily last season.
Lest we forget.