Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Feb 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1218322)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Radical Minardi on the way.

According to www.autosport.com - Minardi's 2005 car will feature a radical aerodynamic approach.

The team has yet to run the car on the track, as it gears up to start the new season with its 2004 machine, but the design of the PS05 is understood to feature a vastly different nose area and a completely unique engine cover concept.

Although the exact design of the engine cover is not known, sources claim it may be sculpted in such a way to create extra surface area for downforce-inducing winglets. One team insider claimed that the solution is such that it leaves almost no room on the engine cover for visible sponsors' logos.

Paul Stoddart commented.

“Our preparations are going really well,” he said. “The new car is due to be ready in time to be racing at Imola and it will be a radical change. You haven't seen a Minardi that looks like this, I can tell you.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1218329)   #2
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We haven't seen a Minardi that looks like this because they've used the same car since 1983.

The engine cover won't matter too much anyway - it's not like they have any sponsors.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1218335)   #3
bradrive
Racer

Brazil
Italy&Spain&Brazil
bradrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
We haven't seen a Minardi that looks like this because they've used the same car since 1983.

The engine cover won't matter too much anyway - it's not like they have any sponsors.
If you do a RADICAL aero you normaly create yourself BIG aero problems (see: Williams 2004). But you CREATE a lot of publicity, which is most likely, what they try to achieve. Anyway they don't have the money to do the aero-testing involved to do it properly.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1218379)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A radical minardi sounds disastrous for a team with little money to back such a thing up. It could work to their advantage, but I fear they may just fall even further back and have an utterly disastrous season.

However, I look forward to seeing it. Any news on when it will break cover for the first time? It surely won't be present at the usual team launch in melbourne?
Old 5 Feb 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1218382)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Anything different is good(so long as it works).
Old 5 Feb 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1218385)   #6
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im interesed to see pictures of this so called radical design, i will be supprised if it works!! good luck to them, its all publicity!
Old 5 Feb 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1218387)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Hopefully Minardi will use their vast millions to jump ahead of Jordan at the very least

Last edited by Marbot; 5 Feb 2005 at 20:26.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1218395)   #8
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exclusive picture of the so-called Radical Minardi...

http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/ima...al_minardi.jpg
Old 5 Feb 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1218397)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Man that's dissapointing.

Someones gonna tell me that pictures fake I suppose....
Old 5 Feb 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1218398)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Over the years Minardi have introduced many design tweaks which have been picked up by the big teams.

Adrian Newey and Patrick Head always make a point of looking at those Italian cars on the grid as well as the red ones.

The new Minardi will race from Imola.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1218409)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It's obviously a picture of their concept car.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1218420)   #12
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrive
If you do a RADICAL aero you normaly create yourself BIG aero problems (see: Williams 2004). But you CREATE a lot of publicity, which is most likely, what they try to achieve. Anyway they don't have the money to do the aero-testing involved to do it properly.
True, but this is Minardi... I reckon by about 2007 they will have ironed the bugs out of the design and be only 2 seconds slower than the next team. They have plenty of time to fix the design - 5 years from date of first car?
Old 5 Feb 2005, 22:59 (Ref:1218446)   #13
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think about it, if the aero package doesn't work they'll be at the back of the grid as usual. I wouldn't even call this a gamble, everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Here's hoping Minardi get one top 6 finish this year
Old 5 Feb 2005, 23:07 (Ref:1218452)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
Think about it, if the aero package doesn't work they'll be at the back of the grid as usual. I wouldn't even call this a gamble, everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Here's hoping Minardi get one top 6 finish this year
Thats a very good point, well made.

It puzzles me the Minardi / Stoddart relationship.

Surely he can't go on forever, surviving with the scraps he funds the team on? He should invest some of his own money into the team or sell up.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 23:10 (Ref:1218455)   #15
agwiii
Racer

United States
Paradise
agwiii should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Surely he can't go on forever, surviving with the scraps he funds the team on? He should invest some of his own money into the team or sell up.
Stoddart is no fool. Don't you think he's setting up Minardi to be sold at a good return on investment?
Old 5 Feb 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1218459)   #16
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Darn, Mr Hoyer pre-empted my joke. Mind you, the latest Radical is probably quicker than a Minardi...
Old 5 Feb 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1218460)   #17
agwiii
Racer

United States
Paradise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
Think about it, if the aero package doesn't work they'll be at the back of the grid as usual. I wouldn't even call this a gamble, everything to gain and nothing to lose. Here's hoping Minardi get one top 6 finish this year
That is exactly Minardi's position. When you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 23:27 (Ref:1218462)   #18
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope it works.......................but doubt it sadly, I really want to see Minardi do well but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Still I want to see what this new car looks like!
Old 5 Feb 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1218463)   #19
agwiii
Racer

United States
Paradise
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
I really hope it works ....................... but doubt it sadly, I really want to see Minardi do well but I doubt it'll ever happen. Still I want to see what this new car looks like!
It could happen. When you're losing, you need to try something different. Innovation is more likely from Minardi than Ferrari.

Do you agree?
Old 5 Feb 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1218464)   #20
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definatly, its just the lack of resources may hinder them.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 23:54 (Ref:1218475)   #21
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weren't Minardi the first team to build titanium gearboxes? Now most teams have them. In a recent edition of Autosport magazine, Stoddard said they have been working on the 2005 car for 2 years. The previous year's cars were just minor updates.

Can't wait for the unveiling. I love the minnows in F1!

Ted
Old 5 Feb 2005, 23:56 (Ref:1218479)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul Stoddard has invested his own money in Minardi.

But I suppose that's never enough for some people.

We now have people on this forum who openly hate Minardi, Midland, Red Bull and slag off Sauber.

Do people only want manufacturer teams?
Old 6 Feb 2005, 00:17 (Ref:1218491)   #23
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
Sounds like it to me.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 00:25 (Ref:1218495)   #24
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I slag everyone off, it's better than ambivalence and it gives you all something to read.

No, actually I really don't care. Yes, F1 would be far better off with just manufacturer teams. GPWC anyone?
Old 6 Feb 2005, 00:27 (Ref:1218498)   #25
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedN
Weren't Minardi the first team to build titanium gearboxes? Now most teams have them. In a recent edition of Autosport magazine, Stoddard said they have been working on the 2005 car for 2 years. The previous year's cars were just minor updates.

Can't wait for the unveiling. I love the minnows in F1!

Ted
first die cast titanium box not first titanium box, but yes they did lead the way on that technology which is now the basically standard box design except certain carbon units