Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 22 Aug 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2526156)   #1
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How bright does a BBC presenter need to be?

Or rather, how thick do you have to be to fail the exam for a racing licence?

We had several threads here recently, where people agonised over taking the ARDS test to gaina race licence. Most of us old lags urged them to chill, as it was easy-peasy, if you did a tiny bit of homework.

Jake Humphrey, the remarkably junior lead presenter for BBC F1, announced today in the run-up to qualifying at Velencia, that he had applied for an MSA race licence. He was then shown at Silverstone, failing the multiple choice exam that you must pass before you can go on track. He got six out of twenty(?) questions wrong, when the pass was no more than two.

Mr.Humphrey clearly does his homework for his pit lane talks with Eddie and David, though he does consult his clipboard rather often. Why no homework, when his lack of preparation for this little test would (should?) have led to ignominious failure? In fact he was allowed to take it again, perhaps after a quick revision and passed, full marks. But then anyone who bothers to watch more than once the "Going Racing" video that comes with your Starter Pack should pass with full marks.

Or am I being naive, and this was a cynical PR stunt to show the punters he's 'one of us'?

John
Old 22 Aug 2009, 17:34 (Ref:2526159)   #2
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
Or am I being naive, and this was a cynical PR stunt to show the punters he's 'one of us'?

John
I shared your surprise when I watched it but I suspect your last paragraph contains more than a grain of truth.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 20:29 (Ref:2526254)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As he did the test on a one to one basis with Mark,who is very good at his job by the way, but does not suffer fools etc,I was quite surprised he passed the driving section. Would suspect he got the job through a friend or relation already in the BBC.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2526264)   #4
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't remember attempting to drift a Caterham around some cones on my test...
Old 22 Aug 2009, 21:18 (Ref:2526268)   #5
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I done the ards I never got to play with the catherham!!
Old 22 Aug 2009, 21:33 (Ref:2526276)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that BBC piece really confused the ARDS process if anything, like the last two posts have said. However I believe Silverstone do thie process a bit differently for the ARDS don't they?

Just seemed a totally pointless exercise that came out the blue. If he was going to end up racing something then they could attempt a diary story out of it, but it just seemed to abruptly end?
Old 23 Aug 2009, 15:33 (Ref:2526689)   #7
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly cynically I wonder if the TV licence fee payers payed for the day as well as I am sure it wouldnt have come out of his pocket

Of course he had to resit the written paper as if hehadnt ben allowed to it would have been the end of the programme but i do wonder why he has done it unless there are plans for a diary programme on his racing something
Old 23 Aug 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2526709)   #8
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews Dad View Post
Slightly cynically I wonder if the TV licence fee payers payed for the day as well as I am sure it wouldnt have come out of his pocket

Of course he had to resit the written paper as if hehadnt ben allowed to it would have been the end of the programme but i do wonder why he has done it unless there are plans for a diary programme on his racing something
Well he might have decided he wanted to do it on his own, and then the BBC decided to capitalise on it? And if the license fee did fun it well, there are more lucrative things our money has been spent on. Top Gear Cheap Car Challenges, anyone?
Old 23 Aug 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2526827)   #9
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Would suspect he got the job through a friend or relation already in the BBC.
I suspect he got the job because he was the best candidate. He's been a revelation to many this year.

Who would you have rather done it, Ray Stubbs, Gary Lineker, Gabby Logan or Adrian Chiles?
Old 23 Aug 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2526839)   #10
Benny1664
Racer

Benny1664 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Caterham is part of the training that Silverstone can offer. It does not form part of the ARDS. test itself It was actually 4 questions they said he got wrong and not 6 but I was pretty shocked he failed as when I did my ARDS at Silverstone, only 1 in 25+ drivers failed the written so it really isnt very hard and Im sure back then you had to get 100% right?
Old 24 Aug 2009, 08:06 (Ref:2527117)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think he does an OK job as a presenter, so what if he failed the ARDS.
Old 24 Aug 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2527147)   #12
CNHSS1
Rookie

United Kingdom
shrewsbury, shropshire
CNHSS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice to have a presenter that doesnt take himself too seriously imho and to be fair passing an ARDS test wont make him any better or worse as a presenter. He seems to get on with the drivers better than some, and get more out of them as a result and isnt the toss pot that Eddie Jordan is. Eddie was a reasonably successful racer but doesnt make him a good presenter
Old 24 Aug 2009, 09:50 (Ref:2527169)   #13
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You never know, he might want to spend the day as a Marshal next.. ?
Old 24 Aug 2009, 15:50 (Ref:2527356)   #14
RobM77
Rookie

RobM77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always thought that Jake does a fantastic job as a presenter actually; I'm jolly impressed. I missed the ARDS test feature, but from what's been said here I expect he did no preparation at all and was distracted by filming. I agree with others; I remember my ARDS test being pretty easy.
Old 24 Aug 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2527376)   #15
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel View Post
You never know, he might want to spend the day as a Marshal next.. ?
EP e-mailed F1@bbc.co.uk and suggested that.

I do think that there may have been a certain level of "show" for the cameras with the first time fail. If he had breezed it and scored 100% first time around then your average punter would have been "yeah, yeah, he's an F1 guy, of course he would get 100%" but by showing a "fail" it makes your average bloke think "fair enough, there might be something in this racing lark".

The BBC has also been more active than some in the promotion of the GoMotorsport campaign as I've heard it mentioned a few times now.
Old 24 Aug 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2527457)   #16
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
EP e-mailed F1@bbc.co.uk and suggested that.

I do think that there may have been a certain level of "show" for the cameras with the first time fail. If he had breezed it and scored 100% first time around then your average punter would have been "yeah, yeah, he's an F1 guy, of course he would get 100%" but by showing a "fail" it makes your average bloke think "fair enough, there might be something in this racing lark".

The BBC has also been more active than some in the promotion of the GoMotorsport campaign as I've heard it mentioned a few times now.

I actually went on jake's blog and suggested it.
i usually get the chance to watch the free practice on the red button, and the majority of times they have a 5 minute natter about Marshals and how to get in to it, but coverage is a lot better these days, the only thing that lets it down is EJ wardrobe choice....
Old 25 Aug 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2527788)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Judging by the occaisional look on Marks face [instructor] I would have thought there were one or two issues on the driving section.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2527821)   #18
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a complete Marshalling film treatment [plan] that's been sitting on my desk for ages, so I've sent it into the beeb and see what they say about it. I also did a verson of the ARDS test but unfortunately a) I lost the sound on both cameras, and b) we weren't allowed to put a camera on the car or in the exam room - the advantage of being the BBC and being able to afford a private test!

I turned it into a 1930s style comedy piece instead.

Update : Here it is : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynYaisqVBw8

Last edited by The STIG; 25 Aug 2009 at 11:11. Reason: added video link
Old 26 Aug 2009, 09:45 (Ref:2528407)   #19
AshMcD
Rookie

AshMcD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny1664 View Post
The Caterham is part of the training that Silverstone can offer. It does not form part of the ARDS. test itself It was actually 4 questions they said he got wrong and not 6 but I was pretty shocked he failed as when I did my ARDS at Silverstone, only 1 in 25+ drivers failed the written so it really isnt very hard and Im sure back then you had to get 100% right?
Nope, he said "Four on the first page".

Woops!

I do like Jake, In fact I really like him, and thoroughly enjoy his blog. more importantly, the drivers seem to like him too.

I can't imagine Steve Ryder going out for a days mountain biking with Mark Webber!
Old 28 Aug 2009, 07:33 (Ref:2529708)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Just seemed a totally pointless exercise that came out the blue. If he was going to end up racing something then they could attempt a diary story out of it, but it just seemed to abruptly end?
He's doing the MSVR Lotus series at Silverstone on Oct 10th
Old 28 Aug 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2529710)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have you been listening to Radio 1 as well ?