Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 6 Jun 2012, 00:24 (Ref:3085982)   #541
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 has a real shot at the podium!TF110 has a real shot at the podium!TF110 has a real shot at the podium!TF110 has a real shot at the podium!
I guess some people would rather watch a car that has hardly any relevance to the real world and some people would rather see their favorite makes go for overall wins at a 24hour race. To me, LMPs are purpose built machines. Holes in the fenders, fins on engine covers- Oh well, they still look the part, and sound it (in non-diesel form).
Old 6 Jun 2012, 11:42 (Ref:3086164)   #542
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I guess some people would rather watch a car that has hardly any relevance to the real world and some people would rather see their favorite makes go for overall wins at a 24hour race. To me, LMPs are purpose built machines. Holes in the fenders, fins on engine covers- Oh well, they still look the part, and sound it (in non-diesel form).
A lot of people watch F1 and that has hardly any relevance to the real world. However, in this case, you can still watch your favorite makes go for overall wins at a 24hour race as well as seeing something new which has some relevance to real world, in that it doesn't use as much fuel.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 16:50 (Ref:3086331)   #543
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could Roger Penske cozy up with Porsche they way Joest is with audi and now Oreca with Toyota?
Old 6 Jun 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3086333)   #544
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know, but when the LMP1 project was first announced, I remember reading that he had said that he was interested in talking with Porsche.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3086334)   #545
CTD
Subscriber
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Could Roger Penske cozy up with Porsche they way Joest is with audi and now Oreca with Toyota?
As Penske is highly involved in other series and don't have an ready team to offer Porsche - No, i don't think Porsche would gain much from Penske.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3086382)   #546
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
As Penske is highly involved in other series and don't have an ready team to offer Porsche - No, i don't think Porsche would gain much from Penske.
Of course it wouldn't take much to put together a team, and I doubt there are any other options available that are nearly as capable, with a team/crew sitting around waiting for a "Porsche". I do believe Porsche would gain significantly from teaming up with Penske. Who else is near the quality?
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3086443)   #547
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Of course it wouldn't take much to put together a team, and I doubt there are any other options available that are nearly as capable, with a team/crew sitting around waiting for a "Porsche". I do believe Porsche would gain significantly from teaming up with Penske. Who else is near the quality?
I'd me more than happy to see Penske say screw nascar and bring back the DHL boys...Roger Penske seemed interested. He would be more than willing. He has yet to win the LM24 overall and is probably making calls to find out if porsche are interested in partnering. Roger has money. Porsche has more money. Porsche dont need Rogers money but they could sure use him as an asset. Tim Cindric/Roger Penske.

Put some of those Indycar guys to work over LM weekend! Will Power in an LMP car on a road course....Whoes Anthony Davidson?
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3086448)   #548
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why not Manthey Racing?they already partecipated&won @ le mans (ok not with lmp1)
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3086449)   #549
CTD
Subscriber
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Both Oreca and Joest had a Le Mans team ready when they joined up with Toyota and Audi.
If Penske where to put a team together to be able to support Porsche, then Porsche could just as well put it together themselves.
The whole idea of teaming up with a team is to cut a corner and get some quick experience into the project.

For this, Pescarolo or Rebellion would be better choices
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3086451)   #550
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Penske being in US doesn't sound logistically ideal.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:55 (Ref:3086452)   #551
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Both Oreca and Joest had a Le Mans team ready when they joined up with Toyota and Audi.
If Penske where to put a team together to be able to support Porsche, then Porsche could just as well put it together themselves.
The whole idea of teaming up with a team is to cut a corner and get some quick experience into the project.

For this, Pescarolo or Rebellion would be better choices
Pescarolo or Rebellion would be better choices than Penske? Really? I can't tell if you are making a joke or being serious with this.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 20:03 (Ref:3086456)   #552
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Pescarolo or Rebellion would be better choices than Penske? Really? I can't tell if you are making a joke or being serious with this.
hahahaha.

I can predict this...

Pescarolo Porsche- Henri decides to repossess the P1 Porsches in court and they sit in an abandoned lot during the LM24 weekend.

Rebellion Porsche- Porsche gets rebranded as a Lotus...

Old 6 Jun 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3086457)   #553
CTD
Subscriber
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
I'm serious.

What does Penske have to offer Porsche?

Penske have zero Le Mans experince.
Penske is running big efforts in both Nascar and Indy-Car.
Penske needs to hire a team to run the cars. (People Porsche could hire themselves)

The only thing i can see Penske offering Porsche is management and sponsors.

Pescarolo and Rebellion both got:
Years of Le Mans experience.
100% on Le Mans
An already established team ready to go.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 20:10 (Ref:3086462)   #554
Articus
Veteran

Pescarolo is out of the question for a team like Porsche. He might as well be scott tucker in there eyes.

Penske do have endurance racing experience including overall victory at the 12 hours of Sebring(almost petit) and alms championships.

Roger Penske wants to win Le Mans in his lifetime. And he had a magical relationship with Porsche a few years back. Its not so outlandish that if Penske wanted to be involved or if Porsche was looking for a Partner they would choose Penske.

That being said if Porsche dont choose a partner then theres nothing to discuss.

But IF they go looking they will probably first ask Roger Penske. Its up to him to turn them down.

Last edited by Articus; 6 Jun 2012 at 20:18.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 20:18 (Ref:3086467)   #555
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Big Smoke
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All of Henri's troubles have been down to a lack of funding, which would not be an issue with a major manufacturer behind him.

Henri has years of experience. Years. He is Mr Le Mans. Despite his teams being on the brink of financial melt-down, he consistently puts his team as "best of the rest".

If you don't recognise Pescarolo as one of the best set-ups on the grid, then you grossly misunderestimate them and you don't fully appreciate what Henri does. However, this will be the thinking of a major manufacturer like Porsche and why Henri will never get the gig. Unfortunately.