Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 18 Jun 2005, 10:26 (Ref:1332062)   #1
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alex Lloyd in F3000 Italia

Just noticed Alex Lloyd has replaced Fabrizio del Monte at GP Racing in F3000 Italia this weekend at Imola - http://www.italiaracing.net/web3000/

Wonder if this is a one-off or will he be competing there for the rest of the season? Over to you, Mr Jinxx!
Old 18 Jun 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1332068)   #2
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
...and rather strange that Del Monte has left the series, when he is second in the points, only 3 behind Fisichella Motor Sport's Luca Filippi. I wonder what he and GP Racing have in mind.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1332334)   #3
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex 11th of 17 drivers in first qualifying.

Photo - http://www.italiaracing.net/web3000/...mola/Lloyd.jpg (may have to cut & paste)
Old 19 Jun 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1332764)   #4
DEADDUCK
Rookie

United Kingdom
DEADDUCK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the press release I have seen it says he was drafted in with 48 hours notice to replace Del Monte and he is also hoping to do more races with the team alongside racing in the World Series by Renault at Donington (team tbc).

He is also in the running for the A1GP seat so could be a busy year for him and a chance to show his talent.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1333622)   #5
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whats the SP Mr Jinnx,........! spill he beans.......!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1334890)   #6
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't think mr J is back yet but as i undertand it Alex and the team had worked hard on the setup on Friday and in qualifying so that in morning warm up was 5th or 6th fastest. Ultimatly let down by a gearbox failure after a few laps. For a comprehensive review i think you will wait for Mr J.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1335284)   #7
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of a last minute call-up really! A few hours to sort out flights and stuff on Thursday to get to Imola on Thursday night.

It came about because GP Racing, who competed in EuroF3000 last year, and Del Monte (the driver who has more repetitive jokes about his name than any other) parted company in a hurry - reasons unknown, don't ask - which suddenly left a seat free in the Italia F3000 Championship, which uses last years International F3000 cars. GP Racing had seen Alex race last year, hence the call.

Del Monte was 2nd in the championship, with GP Racing's other driver (Caceres) just one point behind, in 3rd.

Although the Euro F3000 and International F3000 cars are very similar, they differ in two main ways - aero, and tyres. Most of the teams in this championship ran in the International F3000 series over the last 3 years, but GP Racing (Italian team) hadn't got the experience. I can't really work out how they had their 2 drivers lying 2nd and 3rd, in truth, with so little experience of the cars. Del Monte has been running F3000 since I was in nappies, I think. I understand histeam mate, Juan Caceres, the Uruguyan (? spelling) won Spanish/Portuguese FBMW in 2003 and competed in F3 in 2004, with what results I know not.

Anyway, as far as Imola goes, neither Alex nor Caceres (I don't think) had been there before. There was one test session on Friday, then straight to qualifying on Saturday - two half-hour sessions. GP Racing will be the first to admit that the car setup was awful. We were miles off the pace, Alex some 2.3 seconds off, and Caceres about 7/10ths slower than Alex. I liked Alex's engineer - Giorgio Breda. He's a lovely guy, been in F3000 a while, engineered Zanardi and Barrichello amongst others, but not knowing this car and starting so far off the pace was always going to be too much.

For qualy 1 on Saturday morning (9 laps), he and Alex agreed some changes, but went the wrong way. We ended up 11th, 2 secs off the pace. Caceres remained about 7/10ths behind. For 2nd qualifying (8 laps) we went the other way, which was much better, and we ended up 5th, "just" 8/10ths off. However, this session was far hotter and slower overall, so the cumulative best put Alex grid 10 for the race. Caceres was 1.2 seconds slower.

4 laps on Sunday morning warm-up, and we moved further in the right direction, down to 5/10ths off, his team mate remaining about 1.2 seconds slower.

Another step in the same direction for the race itself, but unfortunately problems from the start. Alex got a good start, but one of the cars in front stalled as Alex shot round the car in front. Alex avoided it without contact (as did everyone, luckily) but in so doing, lost 3 places. He got one back at the outside of the first chicane, but there was smoke from the back of the car from the start, and no traction at all out of the corners. The stalled car, Fisichella Racing (= Durango) was much quicker, it was better under braking and a world apart exiting the tight corners, so Alex defended the first few laps energetically until the Fisichella guy got so frustrated that he tried too hard to get round the outside, hit the kerbs and spun off all by himself.

All the time, the gearbox (for such it was) smoke was getting worse out of the back of Alex's car, the dash had gone blank, and gears were not engaging or jumping wildly. With around 7 laps to go, Alex had no choice but to cruise back to the pits and retire.

So on paper, it looks crap. Qualified 10th, retired from the race. But it was actually a good weekend. Juan Caceres, always behind Alex in every session and throughout the race, finished 8th, bringing himself to 2nd in the championship now. Alex made huge improvements in the car, but the trouble with essentially cheap championships that use expensive powerful cars, is that you get no testing and few races. We started too far off the pace to be able to get into contention in the few laps available. Our race setup was still not right, ignoring the constant gearbox problem, and we can now pinpoint where the car's problems lie. Which will be nice for next time at Imola, next year, but no good for the here and now! But we learned a lot about the car.

One of the things I'm a real believer in, is the ability of a person to perform under adversity. Not just in racing, but generally. It tends to define someone. If the car had been suited to the track straight away, Alex could have jumped in and been right at the front in the first time out. Stick any half decent driver in a well setup car, and he'll be up there, but that isn't the measure of the driver. There seem to me to be 3 things you need, in this order ... a car which is basically set up really well for the track, the driver needs to know the car, and finally the driver needs to know the circuit. In that order.

Good drivers seem to pick up a circuit very quickly indeed, goodness knows how. I can't find my way back to my own hotel room without it taking me hours, and lots of wrong turns, even after being there a couple of days (at least that's what I tell my wife when I turn up late).

GP Racing are a good team. Nice folk, easy to work with (important) and although Italian is the language spoken, Alex and his engineer understood each other well enough to make enormous progress. They could win races, for sure. They start with a disadvantage in this championship, not knowing the car, and they need a fast driver who can do that. I think they've found one, but money is always an issue in racing. As can be seen after yesterday's F1 ridiculous spectacle, which serves to underline just how much of a business racing really is, and how sportsmanship is subsumed beneath it nowadays. Both Alex and the team (engineer mechanics and owners) would like to do more races together, that is agreed - whether it will happen, we'll see. Only one thing would stop it, and that's the green and crinkly stuff! (Showing my age there). We still have pound notes in the Isle of Man, so I forgive myself

Long story, sorry, just got back and still thinking. As I said, on paper, it looks disappointing and bad luck again, both for Alex and for GP Racing. But if you look below the surface, Alex made a really good impression, showed speed and the ability to feel, understand and improve the car, worked well with the team to achieve it, and despite the result, they all came away feeling like they'd had a really good positive weekend. Lack of testing is the bugger in this championship, particularly when other teams have had 3 years experience with the cars, but it would be good to be able to have a few more races with GP Racing and frighten the shlt out of the others! We'll see...
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 21 Jun 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1335699)   #8
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now Mr J. Thats what i call a comprehensive review
Old 21 Jun 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1335816)   #9
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Mr Jinxx. Keep up the good work.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 06:33 (Ref:1336797)   #10
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
skyblue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Mr J. Refreshing.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1337747)   #11
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Great report Mr Jinxx! Nice to hear such an insight. F3000 Italia looks the stronger of the two Italian F3000 series, it's just a shame it's hard to follow outside of Italy... especially as it still has some of the top International series teams. I wish those two series (F3000 Italia and 3000 Pro Series) merged into one though, then there would be full grids.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1338626)   #12
AndyM
Racer

AndyM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Mr. J. I usually dismiss most 'racing dads' but you have a good way of telling the tale without sounding biased. Very refreshing. All the best to Alex.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1338759)   #13
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing Dad's are truly the pits, in general! It's just that I've never raced and would rather be doing something else, that brings some form of refreshment to the insights! (I'm not telling you what else I'd rather be doing, nor with whom) (however many)

Don't laugh, bella ... I've had several saucy offers in my time, some of them from girls
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 30 Jun 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1344020)   #14
DEADDUCK
Rookie

United Kingdom
I have heard that Alex Lloyd is racing again this weekend with GP Racing, I hope this is true for him and the team.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 17:59 (Ref:1344030)   #15
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Yes i had the word from Mr J today that Alex is in Mugello this weekend, again with GP Racing. Best of luck Alex
Old 2 Jul 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1345492)   #16
Viceroy
Rookie

European Union
Vienna, Austria
Viceroy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Please, keep up your interesting reviews, Mr Jinxx.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 22:55 (Ref:1345633)   #17
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Qualification results (pdf)
Old 4 Jul 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1346453)   #18
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
from http://www.italiaracing.net/web3000/ -

Race results -

1 Luca Filippi Lola B02/50-Zytek FMS 24 giri in 43’41”038
2 Alessandro Ciompi Lola B02/50-Zytek FMS a 8”769
3 Giacomo Ricci Lola B02/50-Zytek Astromega a 26”903
4 Alex Lloyd Lola B02/50-Zytek GP Racing a 33”487
5 Matteo Cressoni Lola B02/50-Zytek BCN a 35”336
6 Jarek Janis Lola B02/50-Zytek Ma-Con a 49”228
7 Pastor Maldonado Lola B02/50-Zytek Sighinolfi a 1’01”011
8 Giacomo Piccini Lola B02/50-Zytek Euronova a 1’08”465
9 Jan Charouz Lola B02/50-Zytek Ma-Con a 1’11”204
10 Stefano Gattuso Lola B99/50-Zytek Vanni/Traini a 1’11”296
11 Nassim Sidi Said Lola B99/50-Zytek Azeta a 1 giro
12 Giuseppe Chiminelli Lola B99/50-Zytek Euronova a 1 giro

Quote:
Luca Filippi takes another victory at the Mugello circuit.

The driver from Mondovì collects his third consecutive win, after Brno and Imola. After taking the pole, he was at the head of the race from start to finish, his teammate Ciompi the only one to keep his pace, and ended up finishing in 43’41”038. Good race for Alessandro Ciompi, who took the second place at the start, even though he was never able to make a move towards his Fisichella Motorsport teammate because of some asset problem. Third place for Ricci, fourth on the grid. He took advantage of his teammate Vilander’s misfortune, who was forced to retire because of a problem with his gears. Lloyd confirmed his 4th place, before Cressoni and an aggressive Jani. The Czech driver, after a bad start, was able to move up the field, taking the flag in sixth position, before the Venezuelan Maldonado. Eighth Piccini, ahead of Charouz and then Stefano Gattuso, first of the Light Trophy. The Vanni Racing’s driver takes the title of the Light Trophy three races before the end of the championship. He actually bagged a total of 56 points, thanks to four victories and a second place.

Commentary

At the start, Filippi jumps ahead and his teammate Ciompi succeeds in taking the second place behind him. After the Fisichella Motor Sport duo, the Astromega drivers, Vilander and Ricci respectively, take third and fourth position, while Janis, starting from the eighth place, is tenth. Caceres goes off track on the first lap and for him the race is over. After the four first come Lloyd, Cressoni, Maldonado, Gattuso and Piccini. On the following lap, Piccini passes Gattuso, and after a while, Jani does the same, therefore taking the 9th place. On the third lap, Engel and Strano touch, and the safety car is called to the track: both the drivers are forced to retire. After the restart, Filippi, in two laps, already gains 8 tenths on Ciompi, while the Astromega duo are left behind. In the meanwhile, Janis overtakes Piccini, and gets behind Maldonado, taking the sixth place and Cressoni shows on Lloyd’s rear-view mirror. Auinger is forced to retire on the 11th lap, and two laps later Vilander also parks his car in the pit, because of gear problems, closely followed by Mari. Filippi and Ciompi are in a different league, a gap of more than 12 seconds between them and Ricci. On the 18th lap, Charouz succeds in passing Gattuso and takes the 9th place. No more changes till the end, while the gap between Filippi and Ciompi constantly grows, and finally Filippi takes the chequered flag with more than 8 second lead.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1346750)   #19
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And now he's got an A1GP drive...
Old 4 Jul 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1346763)   #20
DEADDUCK
Rookie

United Kingdom
What makes you say that?
Old 4 Jul 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1346799)   #21
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
autosport have confirmed its alex and robbie!
Old 4 Jul 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1347077)   #22
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Congrats to both Alex and Robbie. I think they will both do a great job.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1347256)   #23
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Congratulations!