Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Feb 2011, 06:31 (Ref:2835033)   #751
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
...but seeing as though you've started, if Kingsley(who I kinda guess you're referring to)gets a shot in CC this year, he would top 5 first up. If that's an ar$e kicking or reality check, life's pretty tough in your neck of the woods.

But like so many talented others...needs the start first.
How many cars would be destroyed in the process though ?

No doubt that he did a good job at the 12 hour ( i was expecting the car to crash out for sure.. especially in the wet) but you can't really rate anyone for being competitive in Porsche Wobblers Challenge.

My old footy coach used to have a saying: "Anybody can trash weak sides - if you want to prove yourself, beat someone better than you"

Perhaps for a "up and coming" driver, CC should be where he should be if he wants to prove himself, rather than be talked up like the next Aryton Senna on forums for beating "gentleman" racers who are nobodies in the real motorsport world.

Last edited by Wood-duck; 22 Feb 2011 at 06:40.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 06:34 (Ref:2835034)   #752
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
You ought to know better for the amount of time you spend at the track!!
I am with SS -- his nominee and mine would prove to be quick from the start.
Since you are so sure FF--perhaps you could run down GTR list and name the top 5 you rate ?

I dont understand why some of you guys are so protective about seeing the status quo mainatained. Just so you dont think I am griding any axe(s) there are 3 drivers back in Carrera Cup who have improved immeasurably in their time away.Maybe 4-- it will be interesting to see if that new found confidence translates into better results this time around.
we can speculate all we like....

but proof is easy to show....

Lago has delivered a championship, so he should get the glory. HE is the Poached cup champion, not kingers or anyone else.

Spin it anyway you like, but facts is facts.

Top 5...

we'll see
Old 22 Feb 2011, 07:14 (Ref:2835036)   #753
scudd
Racer

scudd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some pretty silly comments in this thread from those who should know better.

sheep station, you need to calm down. we know how good kingsley is and like a lot of other guys doesn't have the $$$ to go racing on the big stage.

ffs, as ss said pretty stupid comment on the russell 2:10 at bathurst bit. you of all people should know that there were many things different such as less camber, more fuel, no V8 rubber down, tyres running now not as good as 06 etc.

wood duck, expecting the car to crash in the wet, you're all class.

for those others getting excited about the slow guys in cup challenge not being as quick as the old cc, guess what?.....we know that. we are amateurs enjoying what we do. get a pro race car driver to do what i do for a living and i'll hose him. it's all relative.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 07:45 (Ref:2835043)   #754
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudd View Post
wood duck, expecting the car to crash in the wet, you're all class.

for those others getting excited about the slow guys in cup challenge not being as quick as the old cc, guess what?.....we know that. we are amateurs enjoying what we do. get a pro race car driver to do what i do for a living and i'll hose him. it's all relative.
Sorry Scudd, but just a brutal observation more in relation to the accidents that occured at Sandown and Bathurst in 2010. The drivers should see it as a compliment that the car finished, and finished well. I am happy to admit i was wrong on this one.

Your comments re: The Cup Challenge is bang on. The competitors are not professionals. They are enthusiastic enthuisiasts, who love the sport as well. But trying to frame the young tyro in the series as the next big thing that is capable of flogging everyone is a bit rich... If I was Matt, I would be embarassed by what has happened on here. He now has more pressure on him to prove he is "all that"... Something I am sure he could have done without.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 08:10 (Ref:2835046)   #755
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
some pretty silly comments in this thread from those who should know better.

ffs, as ss said pretty stupid comment on the russell 2:10 at bathurst bit. you of all people should know that there were many things different such as less camber, more fuel, no V8 rubber down, tyres running now not as good as 06 etc.
err... WE were there TOO... And we were being conservative TOO.. yet we still went faster than we ever had TOO... on the same tyres TOO....

And, do you REALLY think Michelin tyres are worse now than they were 5 years ago...

come on Roggy... you may be Poached Cup champ, but you really ARE a bit silly TOO
Old 22 Feb 2011, 08:14 (Ref:2835048)   #756
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience View Post
err... WE were there TOO... And we were being conservative TOO.. yet we still went faster than we ever had TOO... on the same tyres TOO....

And, do you REALLY think Michelin tyres are worse now than they were 5 years ago...

come on Roggy... you may be Poached Cup champ, but you really ARE a bit silly TOO
Was the fast laptime before or after the car broke?
And when was the last time you guys had the car there?
Old 22 Feb 2011, 08:14 (Ref:2835049)   #757
scudd
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood-duck View Post
Sorry Scudd, but just a brutal observation more in relation to the accidents that occured at Sandown and Bathurst in 2010. The drivers should see it as a compliment that the car finished, and finished well. I am happy to admit i was wrong on this one.

Your comments re: The Cup Challenge is bang on. The competitors are not professionals. They are enthusiastic enthuisiasts, who love the sport as well. But trying to frame the young tyro in the series as the next big thing that is capable of flogging everyone is a bit rich... If I was Matt, I would be embarassed by what has happened on here. He now has more pressure on him to prove he is "all that"... Something I am sure he could have done without.
No sweat. Kingsley did a 15.2, Russell a 14 flat in quail, not too shabby if you ask me from a guy who hasn't done a lot of miles in a 997.

IMHO i'd say he'd be top 5 in cc but we'll never know.

Edit: (top 5 in 2011 yes, top 5 in 2006 no)

Last edited by scudd; 22 Feb 2011 at 08:24.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 08:19 (Ref:2835050)   #758
scudd
Racer

Quote:

ffs, so friendly on AE yet so harsh on here.

How's ted's 560? Would love one if I could get a mate to go halves.

600 GT3, sweet......
Old 22 Feb 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2835091)   #759
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LP600+ is the latest spec.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 10:40 (Ref:2835103)   #760
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Speaking of ignorance...

Anyone in the world that thinks getting a Ferrari to go 18 minutes needs their head read.
I fixed your post for you-- they are all your words!!!!!
Old 22 Feb 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2835105)   #761
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got another one for you while I am at it-- earlier there was discussion about Ferrari only race --- would be a promoters dream-- get 2 races for the price of one!!
First race would see the Ferrari start and then the race of the lift trucks to bring them back to the pits!! A relay race for teams!!!
Old 22 Feb 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2835387)   #762
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
Was the fast laptime before or after the car broke?
And when was the last time you guys had the car there?
The laptimes were done between breakages... obviously

Hectors car hadn't been there before, but Maranello have had a fleet there on several occasions, and I've been there with various other ferraris, just not Hectors.

And we engineered it seat of pants style... only basic data installed on the car, so we just relied on driver feedback and good old fashioned mechanics theory/practice to tune it.

Very satisfying, particularly how good Luke went, as we all know Allan can drive anything quickly. But to get the car to ONLY use 7 sets of tyres for the entire meeting, inc all practice and qual, and still be doing fast laps till the end, was very satisfying indeed. The tyres taken off at the end were still good for another stint too. (I've got 2 sets of goodish used tyres if anyone wants them for drink money?, and I don't drink much)

Keeping the costs as low as we did means Hector stays happier!
Old 22 Feb 2011, 22:59 (Ref:2835389)   #763
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
I fixed your post for you-- they are all your words!!!!!
You could be right, so just try to imagine how good you've made me feel about myself by going for the full 12 hrs! (well, 11hrs and 42 minutes at full speed anyway)
Old 22 Feb 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2835391)   #764
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Got another one for you while I am at it-- earlier there was discussion about Ferrari only race --- would be a promoters dream-- get 2 races for the price of one!!
First race would see the Ferrari start and then the race of the lift trucks to bring them back to the pits!! A relay race for teams!!!
Yeah yeah...

Actually, no Ferrari made it on to a tilt tray at Bathurst... but many Porsches did.... and you DO realise it was pressure from a fast ferrari that contributed to the Koundouris Porsche breaking down.... right????
Old 22 Feb 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2835393)   #765
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
ffs, so friendly on AE yet so harsh on here.

How's ted's 560? Would love one if I could get a mate to go halves.

600 GT3, sweet......
Not quite sure what you mean. You're a worthy champion, I've said that plenty of times, but you're also silly.... said that lots too, wherever it may be

Teds 560 is ace, PI test day soon, then Bathurst at easter and E Creek end of May.

halves... come on mate, go shake the tree.... you've got that in pocket change.

600 GT3 is a fairly low cost upgrade to Teds 560... just send engine and a few bits to Reiter, and they tickle all the sweet spots and bingo, 600 GT3 for price of used 560 plus tickles.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 23:11 (Ref:2835394)   #766
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
. get a pro race car driver to do what i do for a living and i'll hose him. it's all relative.
what... drive a fork lift truck around a refridgerated cold store????

sorry mate, couldn't resist

Love and respect you really
Old 23 Feb 2011, 10:46 (Ref:2835531)   #767
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Bathurst 12hr highlights repeated on 1 HD tomorrow Thursday 24th at 12-3pm for those that may be interested.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 09:22 (Ref:2836053)   #768
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good coverage on ONE and I think I will go next year good stuff!
Old 24 Feb 2011, 11:38 (Ref:2836112)   #769
rjg
Rookie

rjg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I managed to watch the highlights today and thought the 1HD done a good job. I only watched the middle hour and they seemed to give alot of cars coverage, which was good.
Old 25 Feb 2011, 01:27 (Ref:2836509)   #770
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg View Post
I managed to watch the highlights today and thought the 1HD done a good job. I only watched the middle hour and they seemed to give alot of cars coverage, which was good.
I was in the same boat, I thought I'd miss all of it but ended up in front of the telly halfway through the race, some good coverage and as you said a number of cars beside the front runners got some decent coverage, good effort by ONE. I'll have to get the DVD.
Old 25 Feb 2011, 02:13 (Ref:2836520)   #771
jiminee
Racer

jiminee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something that occurred to me with the coverage of the race I have seen so far:
Is there an increased safety risk with the minimum length fuel stops in changing conditions? Would hate to see a car destroyed because they stayed out on slicks one lap too long rather than risk 1 or 2 90 second pitstops to change to rain tyres and then back to slicks.
Maybe a caveat needs to be added for times when it starts raining giving the team a chance to change tyres only if the change is for slicks to wets? Especially at Bathurst as those conditions are pretty common.
In principle its a good idea but I hate seeing anything where teams try crazy tactics (like the VIP Porsche pitting on lap 1) to try and beat the system. It comes across as contrived and we get enough of that elsewhere, it should not be needed on a long distance enduros where enough variables are thrown up naturally.
Old 25 Feb 2011, 03:40 (Ref:2836546)   #772
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get the contrived idea. It certainly adds a possibly unthought of dimension but contrived insinuates that it is preordained, which it isn't.

The 90 sec stop is pretty well received by all competitors, I believe. It also reigns in costs of pro pit teams and mega dollar rattle guns and fuel rigs.
Old 26 Feb 2011, 00:29 (Ref:2837005)   #773
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminee View Post
Something that occurred to me with the coverage of the race I have seen so far:
Is there an increased safety risk with the minimum length fuel stops in changing conditions? Would hate to see a car destroyed because they stayed out on slicks one lap too long rather than risk 1 or 2 90 second pitstops to change to rain tyres and then back to slicks.
Maybe a caveat needs to be added for times when it starts raining giving the team a chance to change tyres only if the change is for slicks to wets? Especially at Bathurst as those conditions are pretty common.
You don't have to stop for 90 seconds. You can do a stop as quickly as you like, and as often as you like.

But only 90sec duration ones count as CPS's

Changing weather negates the need to worry about it so much, it also adds opportunity for strategists, luck and sheer talent.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 07:19 (Ref:2837807)   #774
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For Sale, Class Winning Evo Lancer
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House