Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Dec 2000, 23:19 (Ref:52868)   #1
Phesto
Rookie

Phesto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any one familiar with Speedvision's World Challenge, knows that the touring series in the US is hurting. Nothin but Integra's, and BMW's racing. They get good size fields, of some 40 cars, but 35 of those cars are Integra's, and BMW's.
And REAL TIME RACING think they are the sh*t, when they almost lost to a rookie driver in the championship.
I wish that a UK touring car team would come states side, just for one season, and show them Yanks, in something other then a Integra, or BMW, who's who in the saloon world.
It would be a riot to see WSR, or RML build a NorthAmercian car, for US rules, and win the championship its first time out. Even TWR, we got S40's now!
Someone, anyone, race in the World Challenge Touring series in a Primera(G20), Accord, Mondeo(Contour), in anything other then a Integra, or a BMW please!null
Old 16 Dec 2000, 23:54 (Ref:52875)   #2
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Pontoiac Sunfire won a race just last year. 35 of 40 is a bit hyperbole, i'd say only half the field is integra/328(about 20 cars). But there are a good amount of other cars: sunfire, vw jetta(bora), vw golf, mazda 626, honda prelude, honda civic, nissan 240, mercedes 190, olds achieva, mercury cougar. The problem is you don't see any of the other makes cause they integras and 328s dominate. But that's because those companies give out the most contigency incentives, so it's obvious most of the field would be of those companies. The only way a foreign team would come in and not race an integra/328 was if they had some backing from another manufacturing. Right now, no other manufacturer is willing to do that. And how is World Challenge any different than 2000 BTCC with only three works makes?
Old 17 Dec 2000, 00:12 (Ref:52878)   #3
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Oh, and it means a series is bad when a rookie almost wins. What about Aiello actually winning, not just coming close, in BTCC in his first year?
Old 18 Dec 2000, 01:06 (Ref:53097)   #4
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Heeltoe6, if my terrible memory is working properly,I believe the only reason the Pontiac (Vauxhall/Opel/GM) won was because the top BMW/Integras were taken out due to race crashes and mechanical probs?

Ahh, Phesto, I see you are trying to reek havoc (Acura/BMW) on ten-tenths.com as well???
Old 18 Dec 2000, 01:11 (Ref:53101)   #5
Heeltoe6
Veteran

"But Heeltoe6, if my terrible memory is working properly,I believe the only reason the Pontiac (Vauxhall/Opel/GM) won was because the top BMW/Integras were taken out due to race crashes and mechanical probs?"

Nevertheless...
Old 18 Dec 2000, 09:53 (Ref:53138)   #6
Phesto
Rookie

Phesto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HeelToe,
Are you comparing the great Laurent Aiello, to Neil Sapp? Give your head a shake will ya! There is no way those two drivers are in the same league! Aiello would race rings around any World Challenge driver, especailly in the touring class! Wow! Im still laughing at that one!

Phesto

PS KMCHOW, do I know you?
Old 18 Dec 2000, 15:35 (Ref:53167)   #7
Heeltoe6
Veteran

No. But Aiello, a rookie to BTCC competition, dominated the season and won the championship quite handily. What does that say about Williams Renault, TWR Volvo, Redstone Honda, Prodrive Ford, and 888 Vauxhall. imho nothing, but in light of that, I think it's just a bit myopic to cut down Real Time just because a rookie almost wins the championship, but at the same time say how great btcc teams are, when in fact they actually all lost to a rookie.
Old 18 Dec 2000, 21:11 (Ref:53215)   #8
cmd
Rookie

cmd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My son (Peter Miller) runs in the Speedvision Challenge, and he doesn't drive an Acura or BMW (although he wishes he did right now).

His latest ride was (and still is) in the NASA US Touring Car Championship, which is a pro series on the west coast, and his weapon of choice is a Honda Accord station wagon, or shooting brake, for my friends across the pond.

Right now, in the Speedvision World Challenge thing, he seems to be about 80 HP short in his tiny Honda Civic, but he gives nothing away in the tricky sections.

As for bringing in someone from the UK to "show the boys's how it's done"...bring them over.

Peter won the LA region of NASA last year in his station wagon, pulling many a' race from his colon, and I'm quite sure in somewhat equal machinery, he'd love to take on a "Tory" or two.

CP MIller
Old 19 Dec 2000, 02:34 (Ref:53259)   #9
kmchow
Veteran

CMD wrote:

>His latest ride was (and still is) in the NASA US Touring >Car Championship, which is a pro series on the west coast, >and his weapon of choice is a Honda Accord station wagon, >or shooting brake, for my friends across the pond.
>
Hey, do you have a website with more info/pictures on the wagon? I would love to know more about it!!

>he seems to be about 80 HP short in his tiny Honda Civic, >but he gives nothing away in the tricky sections.
>
Honda always excel in the twisties! I wonder how well the '01s would do with their increase torque. Sadly, the suspension has now been thoroughly cheapend front and somewhat in the back?

Old 19 Dec 2000, 02:36 (Ref:53260)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

Heeltoe6 wrote:

>No. But Aiello, a rookie to BTCC competition, dominated >the season and won the championship quite handily.
>
But Nissan spent a lot of dough on the series. A rumored 15-20M POUNDS!!! That kind of budget is not too far from F1 budgets of the smaller teams just a few years ago?

>What does that say about Williams Renault, TWR Volvo, >Redstone Honda, Prodrive Ford, and 888 Vauxhall.
>
They need larger budgets??
Old 19 Dec 2000, 03:29 (Ref:53263)   #11
Heeltoe6
Veteran

True. But the same could be said, to a lesser extent of course, of TC Kline, while probably not as big spenders at RealTime, they've gotta be right up there, probably second in the series. So then Sapp's great run could be attributed not to any deficiency in RealTime's operation but to the excellence and budget of TC Kline's

In any case, just read at Speedvision there's going to be quite a few well funded and well driven Mazda Proteges next year, so at least that'll be three makes

http://www.speedvision.com/pub/artic...d/001218a.html
Old 6 Feb 2001, 05:50 (Ref:62812)   #12
sharpie
Rookie

sharpie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aiello & Galati

Maybe you should ask Laurent how slow World Challenge drivers are. He found out last year.