Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 25 Nov 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2589042)   #326
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Any chance of a Swedish V-Dub or Volvo or Audi or Mercedes joining the Brits?
The Audi and Mercs havent been updated for the last 2 years basicly, they are old cars. Been talks about Volvos making they way over to the UK, but Polestar racing decided they would not support any other team since it would take too much effort away from their own program of winning STCC. So despite the homoligation cooperation between STCC and BTCC it looks like yet another year no car are going either way over the water.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2589219)   #327
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4233

About the STCC, yes, but note that Pontus Morth says the existing Cruze WTCC cars have been sold to a BTCC team. The wording actually says sold to "the BTCC team", which if taken literally just means sold to RML for use in the BTCC?
Old 25 Nov 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2589232)   #328
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
yep (otherwise it would be "a BTCC team")
Old 26 Nov 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2589601)   #329
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
yep (otherwise it would be "a BTCC team")
So RML has sold the cars to themselves? Anyway, let's hope so, because that Chevy effort was one of my favourite things this year.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2589645)   #330
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would depend on the relationship between Chevy and RML in the WTCC. Maybe Chevy own the cars, in which case selling them to RML would make sense.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2590390)   #331
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyway, shall we get back on topic Dunlop taking back the title sponsorship from their HiQ brand.

Last edited by Hazard; 28 Nov 2009 at 16:20. Reason: Due to post move, corrected to make sense
Old 28 Nov 2009, 16:20 (Ref:2590828)   #332
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All TV talk gone to Armchair Enthusiasts...although it's related, this thread is about the championship not the viewing rights.

Go here for that http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119728
Old 29 Nov 2009, 10:08 (Ref:2591143)   #333
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupOfOne View Post
Anyway, shall we get back on topic Dunlop taking back the title sponsorship from their HiQ brand.
As the BTCC article suggests, the early move from HiQ back to Dunlop shows how effective BTCC coverage is in promoting a brand if done correctly.

Hopefully this is a sign of how well received the BTCC is and encourage others to join the series. In the business community, if HiQ and their parent organisations relate their success to others, they may follow suit and boost the image of the BTCC.
Old 29 Nov 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2591191)   #334
GroupOfOne
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
As the BTCC article suggests, the early move from HiQ back to Dunlop shows how effective BTCC coverage is in promoting a brand if done correctly.
Indeed. Although on the other hand the official BTCC site wouldn't say the opposite would it

I think the backing has done the job for the brand, before HiQ became involved in the BTCC I probably wouldn't have known who they were or what they did. Now I, and presumably many thousands more, do, so job done.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2591805)   #335
GroupOfOne
Racer

So no more Airwaves next season! Didn't see that coming.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4246
Old 30 Nov 2009, 16:41 (Ref:2591809)   #336
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It usually takes a lot longer for my WAGs to start to show fruition, but I did notice the reduction in Airwaves branding a while ago.

Quote:
I notice in the tests that Leyland have increased their exposure on the car, with less emphasis on the Airwaves. Could we see them entered as Leyland Paints BMW next year?
Old 30 Nov 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2591810)   #337
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupOfOne View Post
So no more Airwaves next season! Didn't see that coming.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4246
I thought it might be coming because Airwaves also pulled out of Superbikes. They've stopped doing all motor racing.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2591814)   #338
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It usually takes a lot longer for my WAGs to start to show fruition, but I did notice the reduction in Airwaves branding a while ago.
AND, As I said before, that is not why there was increased Leyland branding on the car!

Take a look at this.. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/a...id=64480463967

Infact, if you look at pictures of the BMW that Alex MacDowell tested recently at Brands the car is identical to when it finished the championship in September...

Last edited by PDS; 30 Nov 2009 at 17:08.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2591821)   #339
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Maybe the Motorbase BMWs will not become Leyland, but the writing was on the cards for Airwaves back then I would suggest.

If I was a title sponsor for a race entry, looking to continue into the future, I wouldn't be happy to see some of my company's branding removed from a car in place of a lesser sponsor.

To a lesser extent, I'm guessing that SAS International are either on the way out, or surprisingly happy to have their branding removed.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2591824)   #340
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS View Post
Infact, if you look at pictures of the BMW that Alex MacDowell tested recently at Brands the car is identical to when it finished the championship in September...
As I can't find pictures of MacDowell's test recently, I'll use the one from BTCC's site of Jordan testing.

This...

Looks a bit different in terms of sponsorship to this...

Old 30 Nov 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2591830)   #341
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
Quote:
Maybe the Motorbase BMWs will not become Leyland, but the writing was on the cards for Airwaves back then I would suggest.

If I was a title sponsor for a race entry, looking to continue into the future, I wouldn't be happy to see some of my company's branding removed from a car in place of a lesser sponsor.

To a lesser extent, I'm guessing that SAS International are either on the way out, or surprisingly happy to have their branding removed.
I really don't understand the logic behind your comments. You do not seem to have the grasp on how sponsorship works. That is not to say that is your fault!

This announcement has been expected after the change of COE at Wrigley’s during the summer months.
And I can assure you that Motorbase changing some logo's around to help a valued sponsor promote their products at a trade show, had no bearing what so ever on Wrigley’s decision to leave Motorsport Sponsorship!
Old 30 Nov 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2591832)   #342
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
Quote:
As I can't find pictures of MacDowell's test recently, I'll use the one from BTCC's site of Jordan testing.

This...

Looks a bit different in terms of sponsorship to this...

Agreed. The sunvisor has a different name on it!
But if you actually read the story that went with the first picture. THAT car was tested by Andrew Jordan and Steven Kane.

It is NOT the car that was tested by MacDowell! As seen on the Autosport site! http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80205

If you still can't be convinced, I shall not bother anymore!
Old 30 Nov 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2591833)   #343
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Really dissapointed Airwaves are leaving Motorbase, they were good for the championship as a whole being a big brand name, and I suspect the championship was very good for them too.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2591893)   #344
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps they thought if they sponsored for a second season, it might not be as successful and they'd have bitten off more than they could chew?

I'll get me coat.......
Old 30 Nov 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2591941)   #345
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I feel bad for Dave Bartrum here. I'm not sure how much Airwaves contributed to the season, but I'd imagine it was a reasonably significant percentage of the budget. Motorbase were on the way up in the BTCC, let's hope they can get somebody with equally deep pockets to fill the breach, but I wouldn't hold my breath in the current economic climate.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 23:04 (Ref:2591994)   #346
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No need to feel bad for the guy. He knows what he's doing. If it was a 1-year deal with Airwaves, then he wouldn't have overstretched the team's resources, as he knew it wouldn't last any longer than that.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 00:26 (Ref:2592041)   #347
bigdick1977
Racer

England
Swindon
bigdick1977 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought, Andrew Jordan has tested with Motorbase in the last few weeks, has said he'd like to drive RWD and also brings sponsorship from John Guest and Pirtek. Maybe thats where the budget will come from?
Old 2 Dec 2009, 00:15 (Ref:2592601)   #348
thereal_tdb
Rookie

thereal_tdb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It would appear that you don't know anything of what you are posting about.
SAS appear quite prominantly in both the pictures you posted!
As for mass branding for a paint trade show, what has that got to do with any other sponsor?

Obviously you will never be a title sponsor, as you don't undertand how sponsorsip deals work.
Old 2 Dec 2009, 06:47 (Ref:2592671)   #349
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereal_tdb View Post
It would appear that you don't know anything of what you are posting about.
SAS appear quite prominantly in both the pictures you posted!
As for mass branding for a paint trade show, what has that got to do with any other sponsor?

Obviously you will never be a title sponsor, as you don't undertand how sponsorsip deals work.
Cheers for insulting my lack of sponsorship understanding and assuming I would never be in a position to become a title sponsor, it's much appreciated and I'm glad you know so much about my own business interests.

I'm also glad to see you take what was originally a light-hearted enquiry about sponsors and team branding that was followed up with a bit of thread banter so seriously and passionately.

Once again, I apologise for my obvious lack of understanding regarding all things sponsor related and will refrain from commenting about any teams' choice of sponsor or branding in the future.

Old 2 Dec 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2592699)   #350
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NGTC-engined Vectra for Andy Jordan in 2010:
http://btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1773
Closed Thread