Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 17 May 2013, 01:57 (Ref:3248660)   #1
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Dick Trickle dies

Quote:
Former NASCAR driver Dick Trickle has died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The 71-year-old's body was found at a cemetery in Boger City, North Carolina early on Thursday afternoon.

Local media report that the county emergency services centre received a call that appeared to be from the victim saying that "there would be a body and it would be his".

Attempts to call the number back were not answered.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107456

RIP. Shocking.
Old 17 May 2013, 02:46 (Ref:3248676)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am left to wonder what drove him to it; what drives anyone to do this...

All I know is that even though the man never won a Cup race, the sport is sorely missing characters like Dick.

RIP
Old 17 May 2013, 03:13 (Ref:3248683)   #3
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I am left to wonder what drove him to it; what drives anyone to do this...

All I know is that even though the man never won a Cup race, the sport is sorely missing characters like Dick.

RIP
I would mention that he did win the Winston transfer race in 1990. He also was at least partially responsible for bringing Alan Kulwicki to us.
Old 17 May 2013, 04:19 (Ref:3248699)   #4
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I would mention that he did win the Winston transfer race in 1990. He also was at least partially responsible for bringing Alan Kulwicki to us.
Sho nuf and yes he was. Also was one of the few IROC test drivers for years, if I recall correctly.
Old 17 May 2013, 05:32 (Ref:3248729)   #5
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P Dick Trickle. A real character, gone too soon.

Last edited by bathurst; 17 May 2013 at 05:34. Reason: misspelt word
Old 17 May 2013, 07:15 (Ref:3248750)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A real shame

I can't help but thinking though that he might have been sick somehow and decided to go out on his own terms, rather than wither away because of some painful disease. Just speculation of course, but given that he called 911 and told them where his body would be it seems rather thoughtfully planned out. And he was 71 years old, after all.

In any case, RIP Dick Trickle.
Old 17 May 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3248818)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
RIP
Old 17 May 2013, 20:23 (Ref:3249087)   #8
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Family and friends said ongoing medical issues could have figured into Dick Trickle’s apparent suicide Thursday at the age of 71.

Trickle, one of the most successful short-track racers of all time, died Thursday at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Boger City, N.C., about 30 miles northwest of Charlotte.

According to police reports, Trickle called the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office and told them “there would be a dead body and it would be his.” Authorities called the number back, but Trickle never answered.

Las Vegas resident Chuck Trickle, Dick’s brother, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that Dick had constant pain in his left breast, which doctors were never able to treat. The Trickle brothers last spoke about a week ago.

“He was very down,” Chuck Trickle told the newspaper. “He more or less said he didn’t know how much longer he could take the pain.”

Kenny Wallace, a NASCAR racer and SPEED commentator, was a close friend of Trickle’s and knew he had health issues, but was shocked that he apparently took his own life.

“We talked every month, every two weeks, ever since he retired. We talked a lot about health. He was definitely, I would say, wearing down, but nothing serious … clogged up arteries. Just some simple things that were just old age.”

But Wallace knew that Trickle’s condition had taken a turn for the worse recently. “I do know through talking to a close friend of his that he was in a lot of pain in the last three weeks in the chest area,” Wallace said.

Several websites, including TMZ.com, reported that Trickle allegedly had been suffering from depression and/or an unspecified medical illness.

Trickle’s apparent suicide was the latest in a series of tragedies the family had endured.

Chuck Trickle’s son Chris was shot in the head in February 1997 while going to play tennis with a friend in Las Vegas. Chris never recovered and died in March 1998. His shooting remains unsolved.

In August 2001, Dick Trickle’s 16-year-old granddaughter, Nicole Ann Bowman of Iron City, N.C., perished in a car accident on the way home from volleyball practice. She is buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery, where Trickle committed suicide Thursday.

Trickle, a native of Wisconsin, was one of the most successful short-track racers of all time, winning nine series championships in the old American Speed Association and ARTGO series, as well as rookie of the year honors in the USAC stock-car division in 1968 and the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series 21 years later.

Nicknamed “The White Knight” for his preference to drive white race cars, Trickle is estimated to have won 1,000-1,2000 races in his career. Trickle’s NASCAR resume included 303 starts in the Sprint Cup Series, where his best finish was third, which he accomplished three times. In the NASCAR Nationwide Series, Trickle won twice in 158 starts.
Old 17 May 2013, 21:14 (Ref:3249122)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
^Man, that's rough. Reading that stuff makes me realize how great I got it. Kinda figured there was some health concerns, but damn...
Old 18 May 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3249228)   #10
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad news. We may never know the exact "why", but even if we did it will never bring him back. A true legend, forever my hero, RIP Dick Trickle.