Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 15 May 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3248081)   #26
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Looks like a dw indycar, is that a good thing!?
Exactly my thoughts when I first saw the images. It's only saved from being quite as hideous as the DW12 by leaving out the 'bumpers' behind the rear wheels.
Old 15 May 2013, 22:06 (Ref:3248153)   #27
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The car could have been nicer... Very similar to Indycar one indeed.
BTW, I'm interested in the concept of the series...
Old 16 May 2013, 11:31 (Ref:3248364)   #28
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I kind of like it because it's futuristic and for Dallara's standards it's great. Besides the F308 and the old GP3, I've never ever liked the looks of any Dallara! So with low expectation you'll like it
It will be interesting to see some onboard lap, because the electric motor has so much torque early on that Di Grassi probably used little throttle to light up the rears.
Old 16 May 2013, 13:14 (Ref:3248398)   #29
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Funny how tastes differ. I actually prefer the 'new' Dallara F312 to the F308, and also slightly prefer the revised GP3 car to the rather weedy looking old one. I quite liked the clean lines of the GP2/05 too, before they got successively uglier in my opinion, moving closer to F1 looks - not a series you want to look up to for aesthetics. But I think my favourite Dallara was the first generation F.Renault 3.5 car. I wish Lola were still around designing single seaters - I almost always found their cars attractive, at least from the spec F3000 era onwards.
Old 16 May 2013, 13:43 (Ref:3248415)   #30
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
But I think my favourite Dallara was the first generation F.Renault 3.5 car.
off topic and i've slapped myself for it, but you don't like the new one? the more i see that car the more it's growing on me, it looks as business-like as the superleague car did. and THAT was a single seater and a half.

i think making the car look ubermodern and futuristic is part of selling the story to people. electric cars are *meant* to be the future for us road users, and by selling it as part of a stylish, aspirational package then they're creating an image that people can aim for, if not buy into for a few years. by putting it into something that looks too current they'd just be pegging it back, though i suppose there's an arguement that it would be saying "look, it's the same as what you have now and it's just as quick and good fun to watch". i suppose they're more keen on selling to a new market like the passive f1 fans rather than convert the purists. and they, of course, will be far harder to sell to.

edit: thinking about it a bit, they're not just selling it to the public. they're selling it to the media too. well, by having spanky city venues they're doing that very nicely. they're selling it to the industry, which i think by making it completely different to yer average circuit single seater series they're doing. and that generates interest at manufacturer level, and positive, enthusiastic pr on social and traditional media. all part of generating enthusiasm and positive noises about a concept, which itself is trying to sell this ~vision of the future to us.

and sell us more renaults too

Last edited by bella; 16 May 2013 at 13:49.
Old 16 May 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3248421)   #31
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm considering a Formula E TWPC prediction competition for 2014. Stay tuned...
Old 16 May 2013, 14:22 (Ref:3248426)   #32
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
off topic and i've slapped myself for it, but you don't like the new one? the more i see that car the more it's growing on me, it looks as business-like as the superleague car did. and THAT was a single seater and a half.

i think making the car look ubermodern and futuristic is part of selling the story to people. electric cars are *meant* to be the future for us road users, and by selling it as part of a stylish, aspirational package then they're creating an image that people can aim for, if not buy into for a few years. by putting it into something that looks too current they'd just be pegging it back, though i suppose there's an arguement that it would be saying "look, it's the same as what you have now and it's just as quick and good fun to watch". i suppose they're more keen on selling to a new market like the passive f1 fans rather than convert the purists. and they, of course, will be far harder to sell to.

edit: thinking about it a bit, they're not just selling it to the public. they're selling it to the media too. well, by having spanky city venues they're doing that very nicely. they're selling it to the industry, which i think by making it completely different to yer average circuit single seater series they're doing. and that generates interest at manufacturer level, and positive, enthusiastic pr on social and traditional media. all part of generating enthusiasm and positive noises about a concept, which itself is trying to sell this ~vision of the future to us.

and sell us more renaults too
It's all about the image, IMO. Having a futuristic-looking open wheel series with high-caliber drivers racing through glimmering super-cities certainly gives a good impression. There's always a bit of marketing cynic behind anything.
Old 16 May 2013, 15:10 (Ref:3248437)   #33
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the look of the new car. Of course I'm one of the handful that watches indycar racing
Old 16 May 2013, 17:32 (Ref:3248477)   #34
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
I do quite like the new car, certainly more so than the current GP2 chassis. But I'm stuck in my ways, so anything with sleek lines reminiscent of late 80s/early 90s F1 does it for me! You're right about the Superleague car, that was a purposeful machine. As was the car it was based on, the last proper IndyCar in my eyes.
Old 16 May 2013, 19:18 (Ref:3248510)   #35
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
Funny how tastes differ. I actually prefer the 'new' Dallara F312 to the F308, and also slightly prefer the revised GP3 car to the rather weedy looking old one. I quite liked the clean lines of the GP2/05 too, before they got successively uglier in my opinion, moving closer to F1 looks - not a series you want to look up to for aesthetics. But I think my favourite Dallara was the first generation F.Renault 3.5 car. I wish Lola were still around designing single seaters - I almost always found their cars attractive, at least from the spec F3000 era onwards.
LOL, Good point! I liked the Superleague and DP01, but don't like the current FR3.5, GP2 and GP3(this nose!).
Old 16 May 2013, 19:27 (Ref:3248512)   #36
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
In my opinion, the GP2/08 and the FN09 chassis are the finest designed open wheel cars since the MP4-20/MP4-21...
Old 19 May 2013, 16:44 (Ref:3249891)   #37
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Bangkok has just been confirmed as the 9th city for the Formula E Championship in 2014. http://formula-e-news.com/bangkok-re...-championship/

Only one to go!!!
Old 6 Jun 2013, 03:46 (Ref:3258352)   #38
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
In some respects, putting on an 'environmentally friendly' race in Beijing may help to promote the championships given the problems that pollution causes in the city.
I think that's what this article is trying to say...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmi...-beijing-race/
Old 18 Jun 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3264332)   #39
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Bangkok has just been confirmed as the 9th city for the Formula E Championship in 2014. http://formula-e-news.com/bangkok-re...-championship/
F1 was banned from Bangkok not so long time ago. Fortunately, misery loves company.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3264447)   #40
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
F1 was banned from Bangkok not so long time ago
The ban only applies to racing in the historic core of Bangkok.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 15:20 (Ref:3269582)   #41
cerdic
Rookie

cerdic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently it is not 2 drivers sharing a car as mentioned above, but each driver gets two cars.

The idea is that they drive half the race in one car until the battery goes flat, and then jump into the second car for the second half of the race.

It may be just me, but doesn't this format just draw attention to the one big problem with electric cars? Odd marketing strategy....
Old 25 Jun 2013, 17:18 (Ref:3269639)   #42
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Much in the manner that refueling emphasize that traditional cars have a finite fuel tank?
Old 25 Jun 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3269654)   #43
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerdic View Post
Apparently it is not 2 drivers sharing a car as mentioned above, but each driver gets two cars.

The idea is that they drive half the race in one car until the battery goes flat, and then jump into the second car for the second half of the race.

It may be just me, but doesn't this format just draw attention to the one big problem with electric cars? Odd marketing strategy....
Never thought about that... and I'm sure they didn't either!

Another odd thing: the Formula E website and wiki page states that tracks will be between 2.5-3.0 kilometers long. That's quite a short track for 42 cars, especially on narrow city streets. Plus that's quite a narrow bit of wiggle room.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3269655)   #44
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
But the series stated that 20 cars will be used. The other 20 will be on garages, since each driver will use two cars.
Old 30 Jun 2013, 09:38 (Ref:3271817)   #45
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
But the series stated that 20 cars will be used. The other 20 will be on garages, since each driver will use two cars.
Oh, my bad. But still... those are awfully short racing tracks. That would mean that the Long Beach GP circuit would actually be too LONG... :/
Old 5 Jul 2013, 16:24 (Ref:3274340)   #46
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
According to this link and the Wikipedia page, the inaugural Formula E season will be from September 2014 to June 2015, just like A1GP. Also, with a maximum of twelve races. The official schedule along with regulations will be presented at the World Motor Sport Council September meeting.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 21:48 (Ref:3274450)   #47
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
according to this link (in german) Formula E will race in Berlin. there will be a announcement on thursday.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 02:56 (Ref:3275188)   #48
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzo View Post
according to this link (in german) Formula E will race in Berlin. there will be a announcement on thursday.
Cheers, Metzo!
Old 10 Jul 2013, 23:02 (Ref:3276364)   #49
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Thank god it's circuit racing rather than drag racing. If that was the case, the Berlin race would be called Elektroformelbeschleunigungsrennenweltmeisterschaftsrennen-Berlin !!! :P
Old 11 Jul 2013, 22:20 (Ref:3276789)   #50
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Thank god it's circuit racing rather than drag racing. If that was the case, the Berlin race would be called Elektroformelbeschleunigungsrennenweltmeisterschaftsrennen-Berlin !!! :P
Yes, but the circuit doesn't look very promising...

http://motorblog.com/2013/07/10/gree...lin-tempelhof/

It'll be held in front of the main terminal of Berlin-Tempelhof. I believe it'll sort of be like DTM in Munich.