Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Nov 2012, 23:05 (Ref:3171924)   #51
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
God, just imagine of all 3 cars had been at the same level all year?!
Like a spec series! Oh, wait though.

Quote:
2013 anyone?
Oh yeah! Bring it on! But it may be the case that some will be very disappointed.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3171932)   #52
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Yup Ferrari seemed to stay at the same level all year, McLaren started stronger, dipped and ended stronger and Red Bull started poor, and just kept coming.

2013 anyone?
Pretty interested in the Hamilton / Rosberg pairing - should be fascinating!

Be even better if it is a decent car!
Old 29 Nov 2012, 23:29 (Ref:3173294)   #53
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. ALO
2. HAM
3. VET
4. RAI
5. BUT
6. MAS
7. PER
8. HUL
9. WEB
10. ROS
Old 30 Nov 2012, 03:34 (Ref:3173361)   #54
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Vettel
2. Alonso
3. Hamilton
4. Raikkonen
5. Button
6. Nico R
7. Perez
8. Webber
9. Schumi
10. Felipe
Old 30 Nov 2012, 08:38 (Ref:3173417)   #55
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That utopia would be a spec. series... but apparently we don't want it... it might be too fantastic for our good
Old 2 Dec 2012, 23:22 (Ref:3174359)   #56
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
I usually just do a write up for the top ten drivers of the F1 season but decided to do something a little bit different this year and thought I'd post it here too!
-------------

Old 3 Dec 2012, 04:15 (Ref:3174453)   #57
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
1) Fernando Alonso - I found it hard to separate my top two. Both were near damn perfect all year and were hampered by inefficiencies of their teams. By virtue of the fact that Alonso managed to do some near impossible things, though, I will give number one to him. Did anyone see him being in the title fight in the final race after Melbourne? Difficult to believe how evil those red cars looked in the early rounds.

2) Lewis Hamilton - after a diabolical 2011, by anyones standards, Hamilton had to turn it around and he did. Consistently rapid, virtually no errors. The points table does not tell the story of his superb driving this season, with wins and/or big points being lost through a series of mechanical failures and pit errors.

3) Sebastien Vettel - World champion again and, you'd have to say, deservedly so. Stayed in the hunt when the Red Bull was merely very good and stamped his authority on the season once he assumed the lead of the Singapore GP and Red Bull finally took flight. Just a small step behind my top two.

4) Kimi Raikkonen - I had my doubts about Kimi pre-season. He was dire in his last two seasons mostly, but I also recognised that he would probably have a bit of fire about him again. So it proved, with metronomic consistency and speed finally being rewarded with a late season victory in Abu Dhabi. Welcome back, the real Kimi!
Those 4 are the exact same drivers in the exact same order in my list. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's views here, but I don't have time right now.
Old 3 Dec 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3174608)   #58
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
That utopia would be a spec. series... but apparently we don't want it... it might be too fantastic for our good
Haha, yes you're probably right!

Ocassionally though, we do get 3, even 4 cars that are near enough comparable but it's shame that doesn't last for long....
Old 3 Dec 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3174754)   #59
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Haha, yes you're probably right!

Ocassionally though, we do get 3, even 4 cars that are near enough comparable but it's shame that doesn't last for long....
Your next problem is driver talent. I honestly believe some of them are way better than others.

In equal cars .... no contest!

Boring!
Old 3 Dec 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3174757)   #60
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I still have my doubts about MAL, but there you go...
Old 3 Dec 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3174768)   #61
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I still have my doubts about MAL, but there you go...
Likewise. He wouldn't feature in my top 10, win or no win.
Old 3 Dec 2012, 23:00 (Ref:3174784)   #62
wnut
Veteran

I always find the Pitpass F1 supergrid interesting as an indicator of form.
Particularly between team mates.

http://www.pitpass.com/src/seasons/2.../supergrid.php
Old 3 Dec 2012, 23:03 (Ref:3174785)   #63
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Likewise. He wouldn't feature in my top 10, win or no win.
It was a good win which showed raw speed and the maturity to keep Alonso out. Has to indicate a lot of promise! Better fast and slightly erratic at the beginning of your career than slow and consitent!
Old 4 Dec 2012, 13:05 (Ref:3174989)   #64
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
It was a good win which showed raw speed and the maturity to keep Alonso out. Has to indicate a lot of promise! Better fast and slightly erratic at the beginning of your career than slow and consitent!
I've always rated him, but tbh, I saw very little from him post Catalunya to shout about! The speed is there in qualy but he suffered appallingly in tyre management skills, I felt, even compared to Bruno who I would venture has much less overall experience?
Old 4 Dec 2012, 13:34 (Ref:3175002)   #65
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I've always rated him, but tbh, I saw very little from him post Catalunya to shout about! The speed is there in qualy but he suffered appallingly in tyre management skills, I felt, even compared to Bruno who I would venture has much less overall experience?
I think he's kind of a Riccardo Patrese's style, impressive fast, capable of winning races, accident prone and always challenging but never quite getting it done.
Old 21 Dec 2012, 12:49 (Ref:3180771)   #66
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nigel Roebuck's top ten

1) Fernando Alonso
2) Lewis Hamilton
3) Sebastian Vettel
4) Kimi Raikkonen
5) Jenson Button
6) Nico Hulkenberg
7) Mark Webber
8) Nico Rosberg
9) Paul di Resta
10) Felipe Massa

Autosport top ten

1) Fernando Alonso
2) Lewis Hamilton
3) Sebastian Vettel
4) Jenson Button
5) Kimi Raikkonen
6) Mark Webber
7) Nico Hulkenberg
8) Nico Rosberg
9) Daniel Ricciardo
10) Pastor Maldonado
Old 25 Dec 2012, 07:54 (Ref:3181789)   #67
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm not going to devote time to forming a precise list, let alone detailing why I made my choices, but I'm going to argue that Lewis should be very high on anybody's list. He ran his arse off all season, only to be repeatedly robbed. When last I counted, he had DNFs from almost a third of the races, not to mention a list of ruined pit stops early into the season and the qualifying blunder at Catalunya. Sure, other top drivers had some unfair issues, but not like Lewis. His championship standings utterly fail to reflect his superb performance in 2012.
Old 25 Dec 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3181882)   #68
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Every list I have read has struggled to seperate the top three, which has always been Alonso/Vettel/Hamilton in various orders, always with Alonso number one.

Truly those three were in a class of their own this year.
Old 25 Dec 2012, 21:51 (Ref:3181883)   #69
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Personally I finally settled on Hamilton as number one, but the one thing few would argue is that those three were a cut above the rest. Perhaps some might throw Raikkonen in there.
Old 25 Dec 2012, 22:43 (Ref:3181884)   #70
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure how anyone other than Vettel could be on the top of a list, personally, but that's the great thing about opinions. Won a title in a year when the FIA made rules interpretations specifically aimed at holding Red Bull back so the excitement of the early season wouldn't die too quickly...good stuff all around from that team.

The incredibly low expectations for Alonso (which I think were a knee-jerk reaction to the Ferrari not being quick immediately and, because it's Ferrari, the sky is always falling, so a slow start becomes the worst start to a season by any team ever) made him seem better than he was, which was still pretty damn good. He gets second on my list for winning races in diverse circumstances.

As far as drivers go, I didn't pay regular attention to anyone other than Vettel and Alonso because I like to see the best and focus on guys in the title fight. Obviously, whoever was having a particularly good day would catch my interest that weekend, but I don't think I followed the other drivers enough to rate them. I personally enjoy the strategy more than anything; never been a huge fan of drivers in general, and don't have a favorite or anything like that.

I'd put Hamilton third. Everything Vettel's accomplished, Hamilton coulda/shoulda/woulda. He hasn't yet, and most likely won't, but you can tell he still has it. Circumstances just can't be shaken by Hamilton with McLaren and I'd hate to see him become Villeneuve. We don't need anymore crashes in the NASCAR world!

The rest? They were the rest. As others say, three really stood out.
Old 27 Dec 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3182276)   #71
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Personally I finally settled on Hamilton as number one, but the one thing few would argue is that those three were a cut above the rest. Perhaps some might throw Raikkonen in there.
Couldnt agree more.
Only thing I'd add, is that we are all giving Hamilton sympathy. Did anyone spare a thought for Raikkonen in '03-'05? Or Hakkinen in '00 and '01? Or Hakkinen's entire McLaren career frankly - the amount of blow ups and DNFs due to car problems while he was in good positions, or leading... I always go back to Nurburgring 1997 to sum up Mika. The quickest out there, but only when the car is actually working.

Hamilton has had some bad luck, but what would make him truly great, is if he sucked it up, manned up, grew up a bit and showed some patience and respect for the team that made him who he is and have a go at another 2 titles.

Here is my Aussie GP prediction: Hamilton Q P10, Race: P8. That is all he can hope for in my view....

So top three Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso, the three best in F1 today. Without a doubt.

Jenson WDC 2013!
Old 27 Dec 2012, 22:09 (Ref:3182309)   #72
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2001 View Post
Hamilton has had some bad luck, but what would make him truly great, is if he sucked it up, manned up, grew up a bit and showed some patience and respect for the team that made him who he is and have a go at another 2 titles.
He's said some thing he may have preferred not to have said in the past, but I don't think this is a fair comment in 2012. People are quick to jump on the supposed truism of him joining Mercedes to enhance his "brand" (yuck), but neglect to consider the appeal in doing far less PR days and being able to concentrate on his racing, training and hell, even a tad more spare time after all that.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 18:47 (Ref:3182509)   #73
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2001 View Post
To be fair to him, he's been there for six years. That's as long as Piquet was at Brabham, for example. McLaren has three times given him a car that could win the title, he won one and lost two - once where McLaren was largely to blame and once where McLaren was entirely to blame.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3182525)   #74
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I certainly would, had he made the most of a couple of guilt edged opportunities that were thrown in his lap during the season.

However, with that solid first season back under his belt, all the supposed 'rustiness' will be gone come next season. As with a couple of other drivers on the grid, if he can nail his qualy every round, that would leave him with a lot less to do come later in the races and I suspect offer him several more chances of a race win....
Old 29 Dec 2012, 10:19 (Ref:3182665)   #75
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have been following the top 10 countdown on crash.net and they have an interesting list currently waiting on the top 2.

3 Hamilton
4 Vettel
5 Button
6 Hulkenberg
7 Webber
8 Perez
9 Massa
10 Kobayashi

Looks like Alonso 1 and Kimi 2 but I find one or two in the list a bit odd. I would not put Massa in the top ten.
They will leave out at least 2 race winners ( Rosberg & Maldonado?)
I would leave Maldonado as out well for his disipline problems but Rosberg did enough to make it in my opinion.