Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Dec 2012, 04:09 (Ref:3182352)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will 2013 be boring?

I wonder if 2013 will end up like a continuation of 2012. The tires have been figured out so there are no mysteries there. There doesn't seem to be much more in performance to be gained for this upcoming season and the cars apparently won't see any drastic changes.

The reason I think it may be boring because it may very well be status quo and predictable.

2014 is another story....
Old 28 Dec 2012, 05:01 (Ref:3182355)   #2
Caterhamf1
Rookie

Caterhamf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
I wonder if 2013 will end up like a continuation of 2012. The tires have been figured out so there are no mysteries there. There doesn't seem to be much more in performance to be gained for this upcoming season and the cars apparently won't see any drastic changes.

The reason I think it may be boring because it may very well be status quo and predictable.

2014 is another story....
Well the end of 2012 was real boring... Spa, Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Brazil...

I wouldn't worry if I were you, should be great!
Old 28 Dec 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3182369)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
There doesn't seem to be much more in performance to be gained for this upcoming season and the cars apparently won't see any drastic changes.

The lack of drastic changes ought to close the field up somewhat, thus giving more teams the chance of being competitive at times, so it stands to be more exciting.

I liked early 2012 when they hadn't worked the tyres out. There was a lovely sense of information technology being powerless to help them.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3182401)   #4
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I expect the field to get a bit closer next year as long as Pirelli keep the tyre part of the mix right we should be in for a good season.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 11:33 (Ref:3182413)   #5
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As far as the drivers championship goes, I don't see a lot of competition in 2013. Lewis is out of the picture because he now drives for Midfieldies..., I mean "Mercedes". Jenson is out because he's not Lewis. Sure, he might earn enough to be mathematically alive for almost all of the season, probably even with some race wins, but never the championship. I don't know if Perez has it in him to be a proper Hamilton replacement. Between Vettel and Webber, I wouldn't bet on Webber. Kimi might be a serious contender, but that's if his car is adequately competitive. Massa looked to be in better form lately, so he might be up there, but I wouldn't bet on him over Alonso. Right now it's probably Vettel and Alonso.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 13:07 (Ref:3182428)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post

Jenson is out because he's not Lewis. Sure, he might earn enough to be mathematically alive for almost all of the season, probably even with some race wins, but never the championship.
Like 2009 you mean? Jenson may not be Lewis, but he's only fractionally behind.

For me, the McLaren was the best car for most of 2012. Give it some reliability and there is no reason why Jenson can't get the job done again.

I have been thinking, how ironic it would be if, given that Lewis has just left the team, this becomes the season that McLaren get their together and Jenson bag's title number 2.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 13:44 (Ref:3182440)   #7
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But sometimes there's more to it than that. Jody Scheckter when talking about moving from Tyrrell said in this month's Motorsport:
Quote:
When I moved from Tyrrell, was I thinking about whether I'd do better at another team? No. It was just the fact that I had to go somewhere else. It was a personal thing. It wasn't that I didn't like anybody at Tyrrell; it was just that my time was up there.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 14:00 (Ref:3182446)   #8
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who's to say Lewis wont win races?
Not me, for sure.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 15:02 (Ref:3182459)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Silly question in the original post, how on earth does anyone know!! the cars havent tested yet!!
Old 30 Dec 2012, 14:39 (Ref:3182970)   #10
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post
Right now it's probably Vettel and Alonso.
And the glorious thing about F1 is that you'll be wrong. I don't know how you'll be wrong (that's the glorious thing ...... etc) but you will be.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 14:58 (Ref:3182974)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
And the glorious thing about F1 is that you'll be wrong. I don't know how you'll be wrong (that's the glorious thing ...... etc) but you will be.
Totally! This is the reason why you have to run the races first.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 15:31 (Ref:3182982)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Totally! This is the reason why you have to run the races first.
Really?

Spoilsport.

Old 1 Jan 2013, 01:43 (Ref:3183445)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
F1 will be really good in 2013, just like it's always been. Happy New year!
Old 1 Jan 2013, 11:59 (Ref:3183528)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Some things that may make for an interesting season:

Pirelli have made changes to the tyres: Pirelli Motorsport Director Paul Hembery said: "There’s a more rapid warm-up and more temperature going into the tyres. With the changes we’re making to the compounds we’re trying to bring back some degradation levels."

Bernie will be under some pressure to finally call it a day: "CVC will probably be forced to get rid of me if the Germans come after me," said BE.

Teams will be under pressure to develop two cars instead of just the usual one car.

It will also be interesting to see if Hamilton will make a difference to the Mercedes team.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...t-for-in-2013/
Old 1 Jan 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3183601)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The original OP was clearly discussing the differences between 2012 and 2013, what aspects will remain, what will change.

Please do not spoil this discussion with a F1 is rubbish rant. It is inconsiderate to other users. If you wish to start a more general current state of F1 thread then feel free. Keep it constructive and try to understand what and why the moderators are asking you to do something.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 19:42 (Ref:3183606)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Off topics moved into another thread.
Old 1 Jan 2013, 22:54 (Ref:3183673)   #17
kartincolin
Rookie

Ireland
Cavan, Ireland
kartincolin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkartincolin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2013 would appear to be a recipe for a fantastic season, rather than a boring one:

- All 4 of Pirelli`s tyre compounds are being softened yet again.
- The continuity in the regulations should make it increasingly difficult for one team to get a sizeable advantage.
- A notable change in driver line ups, Perez to McLaren and Hamilton to Mercedes.
-If 2012 was anything to go by
Old 1 Jan 2013, 23:28 (Ref:3183678)   #18
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For the sporting contest fans it should be great.
DRS and KERS about perfected to enable passing.
Degrading Pirrellis.
The Hamilton move, good or bad, will lead to a certain amount of uncontrolled aggression.
With the settled regulations Adrian will have about run out of wriggle room, and will be more interested in 2014 anyway.
RBR, McLaren, Ferrari and Lotus should be competitive with Mercedes and Sauber a threat.
The internal battle at Torro Rosso wil be interesting and may lead either of the drivers to surprise on accaisions.
Plenty of potential for a good season for the drivers championship.
For technuts like me it will be frustrating, but then we have 2014 to look forward to.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3183751)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Please keep this thread as it was meant to be the relative change between 2012 and 2013. We've already tried to give the overall F1 is pants or my as good as it used to be a chance elsewhere it failed. There will be opportunity again, but keep this as intended.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 15:33 (Ref:3183840)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
The Hamilton move, good or bad, will lead to a certain amount of uncontrolled aggression.
this and if Perez can make the next step at Mclaren will be my stories to watch for in 2013. between the on track stuff, the stories the press make up, and the threads that those stories inspire im pretty sure there will be more than enough to hold my interest this year.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3183845)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Much the same for everyone, I think.

For me, if Vettel has 8 car failures in a row at the start of the season, I probably won't be bored in 2013.......
Old 2 Jan 2013, 16:12 (Ref:3183858)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It will only be boring if it means that we have the forum littered with numerous and unnecessary 'driver related' threads. If Vettel's car is better than all of the rest, it's because he has hard worked with his team to get it that way, and to have then been able to drive the car given to him with the improvements made to it.

No unnecessary 'driver related' threads, please.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 17:06 (Ref:3183878)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Trouble is, if that's the source of your boredom..........?
Old 2 Jan 2013, 23:42 (Ref:3184007)   #24
kartincolin
Rookie

Ireland
Cavan, Ireland
kartincolin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkartincolin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It will only be boring if it means that we have the forum littered with numerous and unnecessary 'driver related' threads. If Vettel's car is better than all of the rest, it's because he has hard worked with his team to get it that way, and to have then been able to drive the car given to him with the improvements made to it.

No unnecessary 'driver related' threads, please.
Completely agree. Sebastian just didn`t luck into the best car on the grid, it was the culmination of much hard work with Adrian and the whole technical team at Milton Keynes. Also, what Vettel did so well this year from Singapore on was adapt his driving style to the characteristics of the car, which led him to his third consecutive championship!
Old 3 Jan 2013, 01:24 (Ref:3184026)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Comparatively, Alonso's excellent season somewhat tailed off, as Massa was beating him by season's end.

Seb and Red Bull are on a roll now. Suddenly, matching Schumacher's 7 titles looks scarily viable. It's the stuff of Aysedasi's nightmares.