Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Sep 2016, 07:49 (Ref:3672740)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Singapore Grand Prix 2016: Grand Prix Weekend Thread

Singapore holds its ninth World Championship Grand Prix this weekend. A symbol of the contemporary tendency towards iconic circuit surroundings and modern entertainment razzmatazz, the Marina Bay circuit played host to Formula 1’s first ever night race in 2008.

A 318,000 watt capacity is required to pump the circuit with artificial lighting and the definition of the different elements of the cars is fantastic as they shimmer under the floodlights, with sparks from the underside particularly prominent.

With 23 corners (14 left-handers and 9 right-handers), it has more turns than any other Grand Prix on the calendar and at 61 laps, it generally goes on to become the longest race in the season, running to the 2 hour limit before the laps have been completed. The shortest race here was 1 hour 56 minutes.

The safety car is almost a statistical certainty – it has appeared at least once in every Grand Prix held here, perhaps most memorably in the first ever Formula 1 race, when Renault’s Nelson Piquet agreed to crash in order to assist Fernando Alonso or maybe last year when during a safety car period, a spectator got through a gap and made it onto the track.

The shortest margin of victory here was 0.239 in 2010, with Alonso beating Vettel.

The race goes back further than 2008, though, as there was a Grand Prix in Singapore in 1961, named the Orient Year Grand Prix. It formed part of a campaign called ‘Visit Singapore – The Orient Year’ to attract tourists to the region and it took place on a street track named the Thomson Road Circuit. Ian Barnwell in an Aston Martin DB3S won the inaugural race.

The race later became the Singapore Grand Prix in 1966 after the country gained independence and was run to Formula Libre rules. It was known for being a dangerous track with ‘The Hump’ one of the corners, a right-hander through which the cars left the ground and unofficially had a section which became known as ‘Murder Mile and a corner nicknamed Devil’s Bend.

The new incarnation of the race has been won four times by Sebastian Vettel (2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015), twice by Fernando Alonso (the questionable 2008 win and 2010) and Lewis Hamilton (2009 and 2014).

As can be seen by Vettel’s victories from 2011 to 2013 Red Bull has shown strong form at this circuit and a lot of the team will be harbouring strong ambitions for this weekend. Despite championship leader Hamilton’s 2014 win, this is a bit of an anomaly – a circuit on which Mercedes do not look set to dominate easily.

In spite of Marina Bay not always having provided stirring on-track battles, we could at least see an interesting tussle for top honours. Ferrari will be hoping to figure in that mix too after a disappointing season but a win last time out in Singapore. Throw in Räikkönen’s recent form vis-Ã*-vis Vettel, his battles with Verstappen and the 18 year-old’s speed, and the high performance of Daniel Ricciardo in the other Red Bull, we could have something electric this weekend.

Ultrasofts make their second race appearance this weekend and they dominate the tyre selections, although there is an interesting variety in how many softs and supersofts drivers will have at their disposal.

To join in our predictions contest on Ten-Tenths, go here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...wpost&t=147938

Our Fantasy F1 contest is here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146625

Constructors’ championship standings: http://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2016/team.html

Drivers’ championship standings: http://www.formula1.com/en/results.h...6/drivers.html

Singapore Grand Prix tyre selections: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...singapore.html

Circuit length: 5.065km
Number of laps: 61
Race distance: 308.828km
Dry weather tyre compounds: Ultrasoft, Supersoft and Soft
DRS Detection Zone 1: Turn 4
DRS Activation Zone 1: between Turns 5 and 7
DRS Detection Zone 2: between Turns 21 and 22
DRS Activation Zone 2: on start-finish straight
Speed trap: on start-finish straight

Lap Record: 1:50.041 (2015 - Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull-Renault)
First Singapore Grand Prix: 1966
First World Championship Grand Prix: 2008

Last edited by Born Racer; 16 Sep 2016 at 14:02.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 15:30 (Ref:3672793)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Another well researched and written intro there BR
Old 16 Sep 2016, 15:51 (Ref:3672797)   #3
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent intro as ever, I hope the race is as good.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 16:36 (Ref:3672807)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
BE walking into (or pushing?) a camera man.

https://streamable.com/qyok

Bob Fernley in the background having a little laugh about it.

the media scrum around Chase Carey (CC from now on right?) has a bit of a 'hail to the conquering chief' feel to it.

which makes me feel bad for BE. yes he sold his stake so many times over so its not really even his anymore (property of his ex wife's trust), he probably deserves it etc etc but i still feel for the guy.

he just seems so small now.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 17:19 (Ref:3672811)   #5
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BCE has always held on to a small personal shareholding, plus the shareholding in the Bambino Trust for the ex and their daughters. He only ever sells other peoples' shares (on their behalf, of course) since he originally sold the majority in 1999.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 20:26 (Ref:3672851)   #6
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seeing some of the interesting bird's eye view night photos of the Singapore Circuit I can't help but feel the organisers have yet to spot an excellent opportunity to attract a younger audience.

I'm pretty sure that a figure of 8 arrangement would offer huge appeal to the Drift generation.

If one was sensible it would be designed with a flyover and the potential for some 'Ring like airborne shots.

If one was not sensible the added strategy calculations required twice a lap in order to avoid a collision would be television gold.

Maybe it could be run with both options but with the fly over having a time penalty associated with it.

That should spice things up.

We will probably have to wait for autonomous electric racing to take off before such ideas become anything like reality.

Old 16 Sep 2016, 21:47 (Ref:3672870)   #7
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

the media scrum around Chase Carey (CC from now on right?) has a bit of a 'hail to the conquering chief' feel to it.

which makes me feel bad for BE. yes he sold his stake so many times over so its not really even his anymore (property of his ex wife's trust), he probably deserves it etc etc but i still feel for the guy.

I have to admit that brought a bit of a smile to my face. Its hard to tell, but I think the camera man stepped between CC and BE and then BE pushed him out of the way. It had a bit of "I am still important" vibe to me. I really hate to give BE grief about his height as its not something he can control, but he seemed to just get lost in a forest of giants. It is like he is a grey haired child tagging along with the others.

Richard
Old 16 Sep 2016, 23:14 (Ref:3672887)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
...It is like he is a grey haired child tagging along with the others.

Richard
Lol. This is the first image that came to my head. From Akira. He even has a B on his jacket.

Old 16 Sep 2016, 23:49 (Ref:3672916)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

The link doesn't work.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 00:14 (Ref:3672919)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Bernie looks like a pre-schooler throwing a hissy fit!
Old 17 Sep 2016, 10:27 (Ref:3672997)   #11
venturi
Racer

Australia
venturi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridventuri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lol at the monitor lizard crossing the track in P3, quote Max Verstappen who passed it, "There was a giant lizard on track, no joke"
Old 17 Sep 2016, 15:37 (Ref:3673059)   #12
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The link doesn't work.
Is fine here
Old 17 Sep 2016, 16:00 (Ref:3673066)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1302 View Post
Is fine here
I switched browsers.

Anyway so Nico's on pole again and Lewis is on the second row. It's still anyone's race but I would like to see Nico win, as it would make the fight for the WDC more interesting.
Old 17 Sep 2016, 16:18 (Ref:3673074)   #14
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I bet Red Bull tell MV to calm it into the first corner! It will be interesting if the Mercs "fail again" at the start..
Old 17 Sep 2016, 22:49 (Ref:3673239)   #15
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nobody else has mentioned it yet.Didn't Toro Rosso do well to get both their drivers into the top ten?I think it says a lot about the car and the drivers and hope they get a good haul of points in the race.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 06:32 (Ref:3673567)   #16
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Rosberg is over half a second faster than the next car,once the flag drops it will another snorefest as he drives off into the sunset.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 06:59 (Ref:3673577)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bad luck for Vettel. Button makes a rare mistake and it costs him dear. And well done to both STRs. Will be interesting to see if the Honey Badger can beat Nico into the first corner
Old 18 Sep 2016, 12:05 (Ref:3673651)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Great start for Rosberg but Hulkenberg got tapped BY Sainz from behind and went into the wall, first FCY
Old 18 Sep 2016, 12:34 (Ref:3673655)   #19
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how come McLaren - who we are told produce a great chassis - are so average in Singapore?
Old 18 Sep 2016, 12:49 (Ref:3673659)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
So how come McLaren - who we are told produce a great chassis - are so average in Singapore?
The issue as with last season has been the Honda PU.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 13:08 (Ref:3673666)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That was a great move by Kimi.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 14:04 (Ref:3673679)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Nico, kept a level head with those brake issues. A shame Kimi couldn't get 3rd, looked like Ferrari didn't quite get their pitstop strategy right. Another good result for Alonso.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 16:13 (Ref:3673730)   #23
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The issue as with last season has been the Honda PU.
An off par power unit didn't seem to hold Torro Rosso back and they the Hinda was not so shabby at Spa / Monza...
Old 18 Sep 2016, 16:31 (Ref:3673734)   #24
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
An off par power unit didn't seem to hold Torro Rosso back and they the Hinda was not so shabby at Spa / Monza...
Agree, but power through the range could be an issue too - rather than pure top-end. If mid-range is ok - but the bottom-end grunt + top-end are the issues, you could imagine that being an issue.

Gotta say, the McLaren season's been a lot better than expected - to now be ahead of Williams on pace is impressive considering how far back they were.

Top drive Vettel - and is has to be said, Rosberg and DR.
Old 18 Sep 2016, 16:44 (Ref:3673735)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Alonso finished 7th at Spa, with Button retiring. At Monza, Button finished 12th and Alonso 14th and today was the same result as Spa, so a bit of a mixed bag but they are improving and are ahead of Toro Rosso in the Constructors. Iirc, the issue Honda has been having is with the ERS, not with the actual i/c engine.