Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Sep 2010, 14:07 (Ref:2757693)   #1
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
F-duct

Might we see the F-duct make it's way to LMP1 with the mandatory shark fin. Or is it forbidden anywhere in the regulations.
Old 11 Sep 2010, 14:14 (Ref:2757695)   #2
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
Might we see the F-duct make it's way to LMP1 with the mandatory shark fin. Or is it forbidden anywhere in the regulations.
Forbidden, fin can't attach to the wing.
Old 11 Sep 2010, 14:18 (Ref:2757696)   #3
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Hmmm...well, not so fast:

"The fin can be integrally fixed to the engine cover and/or fixed rigidly to the chassis, rear wing and rear structure (on a
“bridge”)."

So the fin can be "integrated" to the rear wing...but, rules do state, "The trailing edge must be straight and situated between 350mm and 450mm behind the rear axle centre line."

So this seems to delineate a defined trailing edge. Not necessarily an obstacle because you could simply feed the F-duct into the rear wing at that point.

20 mm maximum thickness might pose difficulties getting the requisite volume to the rear wing.

Are F-ducts legal? Hell, maybe!?
Old 11 Sep 2010, 14:27 (Ref:2757698)   #4
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
It is very hard to keep operating F-duct for 24 hours!
Old 11 Sep 2010, 15:09 (Ref:2757709)   #5
betablocker
Rookie

England
London
betablocker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i believe that is how the eco fin attached, via a bridge, to the wing support, because of yaw loads it needed strengthening support higher up. but it didnt seem to go over the top surface and locate onto the wing itself.
Old 11 Sep 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2757762)   #6
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
f-duct in f1 will be banned from 2011
Old 12 Sep 2010, 20:31 (Ref:2758326)   #7
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think F´duct is possible...
Old 12 Sep 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2758328)   #8
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The interpretation of the rules can be made in different direction´s.
To me The F´Duct system can actually be use in the LMP1.
The system don´t need to be attached to the rear wing to work, Mercedes F1 team uses a variation of the F´Duct that neutralize´s the rear wing without being attached to the rear wing.

But i don´t have sure if that work in the rear body of a LMP1 prototype.

The only gain in Le Mans will be top speed in the straights i supposed
Old 13 Sep 2010, 06:19 (Ref:2758503)   #9
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
The interpretation of the rules can be made in different direction´s.
To me The F´Duct system can actually be use in the LMP1.
The system don´t need to be attached to the rear wing to work, Mercedes F1 team uses a variation of the F´Duct that neutralize´s the rear wing without being attached to the rear wing.

But i don´t have sure if that work in the rear body of a LMP1 prototype.

it's a good gain be faster also on straights
Old 13 Sep 2010, 08:24 (Ref:2758560)   #10
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Are F-ducts legal? Hell, maybe!?
The rules also say "The fin should be continuous without any holes or openings. No other device can be attached to this fin."

I guess that the spirit of the rules don't allow for a F-duct. So the ACO can always refuse homologation if a car is fitted with such device...
Old 13 Sep 2010, 09:43 (Ref:2758603)   #11
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Actually the F-Duct system allow you to run with a higher amount of downforce (see the Italian Granprix this weekend), without loosing top speed. So the F-Duct system would allow one to be faster everywhere, except the straight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The rules also say "The fin should be continuous without any holes or openings. No other device can be attached to this fin."

I guess that the spirit of the rules don't allow for a F-duct. So the ACO can always refuse homologation if a car is fitted with such device...
Hasn't ACO said pretty clearly that a F-duct system is not allowed?
If so, as you say, ACO can just ban the car from driving with the system. It's their race...