Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Aug 2010, 12:17 (Ref:2741859)   #26
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They need to can plans for Sears Point. You've got to keep Road America and make it a 500 miler (or 4 hours, whichever comes first) as in the past. This is a great circuit. Also, don't ever leave Mosport, another great circuit.

DK
Old 9 Aug 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2741880)   #27
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
are 3 Canadian rounds a lot for the ALMS ?
Old 9 Aug 2010, 13:27 (Ref:2741893)   #28
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Canada isn't saturated with motorsports the way the United States is. Plus the population of Canada is spread out comparatively thinly along the vast expanses of Canada's landmass. So I think western racing fans would jump at the opportunity to go to an ALMS race without having to travel to Mosport or Utah or wherever is closest to them.

Chris
Old 9 Aug 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2741899)   #29
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Helping ALMS (by allowing them to race at Watinks Glen) would hurt Grand-Am, dj4monie. Unless both talk to coexist, those things won't happen.

Longer races will hurt television coverage, but that's what Le Mans is about: endurance racing. I agree that the Road America race should go back to 500 miles on Saturday, then IndyCar on Sunday. But I'm not sure if such a long calendar can have so many endurance races.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2742039)   #30
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Losing Road America would be an immense tragedy. But Mid-Ohio doesn't really suit LMPs, it's too tight and narrow for them. How about an IndyCar / ALMS Grand Prix of Cleveland for 2012?
The Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course doesn't suit sportscars, eh? I just came back from there and that's not true at all. Plus, Mid-Ohio draws, RA does not making the real tragedy for the series losing Mid-Ohio.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2742136)   #31
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Helping ALMS (by allowing them to race at Watinks Glen) would hurt Grand-Am, dj4monie. Unless both talk to coexist, those things won't happen.

Longer races will hurt television coverage, but that's what Le Mans is about: endurance racing. I agree that the Road America race should go back to 500 miles on Saturday, then IndyCar on Sunday. But I'm not sure if such a long calendar can have so many endurance races.
Why would it hurt GA? That makes no sense, if GA was a better series there wouldn't be constantly empty seats no matter where the series goes.

When GA had bigger DP grids they went to Long Beach I believe twice. After those two events, the promoters kicked them to the curb. They have signed the ALMS into a deal that benefits Long Beach GP long term, the ALMS is required to show up. The ALMS might not quite fill the stands but I have been there since 2007 and its been a very good crowd.

So if ALMS doesn't end up in Watkins Glen to replace the Indy Car race its strictly politics and fan should call the ISC on that.

If fans really want the ALMS at Watkins Glen, then why not start an email campaign?

It has an open date, its not a Club Track, its classic historic circuit in America and it would draw.

Longer races don't hurt TV, that's again saying that fans have short attention span. Longer Races only hurt TV coverage because its expensive to BUY coverage, I have to keep saying it. The ALMS owns its rights and buys its TV Coverage.

Some of you seem to be happy with having it both ways which is rare these days. You can watch it streamed and then I can here all the excuses people have for not liking it streamed. You have the Docu-Drama which some of you claim you like, that's fine, I rather not watch it. I don't support this form of series promotion and that's my choice. But I understand the economics of both, so what's to prevent the ALMS from doing the same thing with a longer race anywhere?

Nothing.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 21:11 (Ref:2742142)   #32
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru_WRX_STi View Post
No but locations are.

Where would you have the additional two Canadian races?

Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve is limited by how many races it can have. Currently it host F1 and the GA/CASCAR/Nationwide weekend. Is there room for another race?

Exhibition Place is viable, but then we would get complains of Street Circuits again by the natural road course purist.

Edmonton Airport is viable and very possible.

Detroit is across the bay to Windsor, ON

ALMS has been to Trois-Rivieres before. I miss that track, its a fun street course.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 21:18 (Ref:2742145)   #33
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
The Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course doesn't suit sportscars, eh? I just came back from there and that's not true at all. Plus, Mid-Ohio draws, RA does not making the real tragedy for the series losing Mid-Ohio.

Yeah I didn't understand that opinion either. Champcar/CART raced there for years in cars significantly faster than LMP's. The racing surface is also plenty wide enough for multi class racing...
Old 9 Aug 2010, 21:20 (Ref:2742146)   #34
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
As I said in another thread. Put Lime Rock in late September or early October. You'll never want them to leave the track.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2742155)   #35
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
As I said in another thread. Put Lime Rock in late September or early October. You'll never want them to leave the track.
To be fair when the Camel GT series had large fields, they split up the GT cars and the LMP's.

ACO regulations don't allow for that, maybe its something IMSA should consider.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2742170)   #36
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
To be fair when the Camel GT series had large fields, they split up the GT cars and the LMP's.

ACO regulations don't allow for that, maybe its something IMSA should consider.

No it's not!

L.P.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2742181)   #37
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, it is.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 22:17 (Ref:2742183)   #38
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

L.P.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 22:19 (Ref:2742184)   #39
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Quote:
No but locations are.

Where would you have the additional two Canadian races?
in my own calendar I put (the previous page)
Mosport
Edmonton - with IRL
Mont Tremblant
Old 9 Aug 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2742187)   #40
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:

When GA had bigger DP grids they went to Long Beach I believe twice. After those two events, the promoters kicked them to the curb. They have signed the ALMS into a deal that benefits Long Beach GP long term, the ALMS is required to show up. The ALMS might not quite fill the stands but I have been there since 2007 and its been a very good crowd.
GA ran one DP only race at long beach. That off season, ISC supported Tony George in a possible buyout of Cart/champcar/whatevertheFit was called and Kalkoven got ****y, kicking GA out. ALMS was basically the second choice.

Last edited by picchiofan; 9 Aug 2010 at 22:37.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2742192)   #41
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
GA ran one DP only race at long beach. That off season, ISC supported Tony George in a possible buyout of Cart/champcar/whatevertheFit was called and Kalkoven got ****y, kicking GA out.
Wasn't that whole Phoenix Champcar race fracas at about the same time as well? I think ISC had a hand in that one, too.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 22:38 (Ref:2742195)   #42
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Wasn't that whole Phoenix Champcar race fracas at about the same time as well? I think ISC had a hand in that one, too.
Yea, Phoenix street race and such.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 23:49 (Ref:2742211)   #43
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
Obviously a huge dream, but if the series can generate enough interest from manufactuers (GT2 teams, LMP2 engines, GTC/3 customer cars) then the growth could happen and the series return to it's year 2000 glory..
And return to Australia - that would be glorious!
Old 10 Aug 2010, 00:15 (Ref:2742216)   #44
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Crocodile R8
Old 10 Aug 2010, 01:14 (Ref:2742238)   #45
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
And return to Australia - that would be glorious!
If the brain-trust inside Indy Car didn't have their heads up their collective butts, they would have stayed at Surfer's Paradise. Who knows if the ALMS would do another fly away.

Grand Am is not liked in California period.

Didn't work at California Speedway, didn't work at Sears Point, didn't work at Laguna Seca and didn't work at Long Beach - Holla
Old 10 Aug 2010, 15:49 (Ref:2742521)   #46
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
Quote:
If the brain-trust inside Indy Car didn't have their heads up their collective butts, they would have stayed at Surfer's Paradise. Who knows if the ALMS would do another fly away.
An expensive fly-away race at an oddball time for the US market that the home promoter in Australia didn't want to pay for. Why would they have stayed? The Aussies were trying to drop Champcar and make the V8s the main feature anyway.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 23:06 (Ref:2742801)   #47
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Better make a 4-hour Asian Le Mans race at Phillip Island. Surfers Paradise is for bumper cars - V8, GT1, WTCC.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 23:16 (Ref:2742807)   #48
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
An expensive fly-away race at an oddball time for the US market that the home promoter in Australia didn't want to pay for. Why would they have stayed? The Aussies were trying to drop Champcar and make the V8s the main feature anyway.
Indy Car had an offer to stay on the schedule, what happen is they wanted to focus on their home market, look how well that turned out.

With drivers like Dixon, Power and Briscoe, there is plenty of reason to go to Surfer's or any other location in AU if your a Indy Car fan down there and there's three solid reasons for the series to return.

Doing a fly away with ALMS is also about shared cost. They brought in A1GP to replace Indy Car with Nikon is a sponsor, but it imploded.

Indy Car would be welcomed back with open arms down under.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 00:22 (Ref:2742827)   #49
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru_WRX_STi View Post
Sounds like a good number to me!
Old 11 Aug 2010, 02:47 (Ref:2742852)   #50
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Indycar at Sandown would be awesome.