Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Aug 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2740998)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meat Do muscle cars belong in GT racing?

Here's another pancake to toss up, and digest.

Muscle cars. Do they belong in GT racing? On one had you could say that they are too saloon like, but then you could say that they are too GT like to be in touring cars. Sure the Dodge Viper, Ford GT and Chevrolet Corvette race in GT, but they are sports cars with elements of muscle cars.

There are currently muscle cars in GT3, but what about GT2 or GT1? An Aston Martin is 4712mm long and 1270 mm high, but a Chevrolet Camaro is 4840 mm long and 1380 mm high, so size wise they are simliar. They even produce simliar amounts of horse power with the Camaro's GM L99 engine producing 400 bhp, while the Astons produces 470 bhp. So there are some simliarities between them and grand tourers, but both are aimed at different markets.

So where do they belong in motorsport?
Old 7 Aug 2010, 17:16 (Ref:2741011)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
GT in racing is totally different from a road GT. The former is a coupé or cabrio modified (a lot or very little) for racing. So a 370Z, a Miata / MX-5, a Mustang, a 911 and a DBR9 in race prep are all GTs. The latter is a relatively large four-seater (or 2+2), front-engined, rear-wheel drive (perhaps also 4WD) sports car. Examples are the 612 Scaglietti, the 6 Series and the XK.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 17:16 (Ref:2741012)   #3
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I guess it depends on geography.

The American GT-tradition was for some time* (that is roughly until the advent of ALMS) quite different from its European counterpart (which of course didn't even really exist during the 80s when prototypes was all people cared about).
American GT-racing for most of the 70s, 80s and early 90s was a hybrid between what Europeans would consider GT-racing and touring cars, mainly because there was no proper touring car series in the US, so Trans-Am and IMSA GTO/U were pretty much the only place where one could road race production based (or porduction based looking) cars.
In general this led to US-GT-racing slipping somewhat downmarket with relatively affordable performance cars and muscle cars becoming the mainstay of Trans-Am as well as IMSA GTO/U.

The situation in Europe, however, was somewhat different:
During the 70s proper GT-racing wasn't all that big in Europe, and most series were somewhat overrun by Porsches with the occassional De Tomaso's and others being pretty much helpless outsiders.
Anyway, along came DRM (Deutsche Rennsport Meisterschaft) and later the World Championship of Makes for Group 5 cars, which tried to combine manufacturers from touring car and GT racing - that is mostly Porsche, BMW and Ford, later also Lancia, just to name the more noticeable factory backed entries.
It worked for a little while, but when the whole thing came down in the early 80s, it almost spelled the end of GT racing in Europe. Sure there were some Group B BMWs and Porsches in Le Mans early on, but in general there wasn't really a lot professional GT-racing left, with most of the big teams gravitating towards Group C prototypes.

There was a muscle car tradition in touring car racing in the 70s with Mustangs and Camaros showing up in BTCC and ETCC, which didn't really go away until the mid to late 80s, partly due to the lack of proper professional GT-series, which meant that a lot of people would run two door cars like the Jaguar XJ (???) BMW 6-series and Toyota Supra in the touring car series.

In a way IMSA GTO/U and ETCC were pretty similar to eachother during the 80s as far as the base models or at least the market segment of the cars running was concerned. The rules were, however, radically different with one running widebody tubeframe cars with up to 700bhp and the other relatively tame Group A-production based cars.

When GT-racing was reestablished in Europe by Ratel, Peter and Barth in the early 90s they moved it decidedly upmarket (I think one of the germ cells of BPR was the Porsche-Ferrari-Challenge?).
By the end of the 1990s this upmarket definition of GT-racing was also adopted in the US, when Panoz created the ALMS.
Even before that, Super Touring had made European touring car racing the domain of two-litre-family cars.

The pony- and musclecars fell somewhere in between. Not upmarket and advanced enough to compete in GT, but too big and powerfull for the new era of touring car racing.
They still have a stage in the US to race on in Grand Am and Trans-Am, which carry on the older American tradition of GT-racing, but these are of course series of somewhat lesser importance. OK, no importance at all for Zombie-Trans-Am...

*On thinking about it again, it was not all that different during the 70s and there especially during the Group 5 era, so the "split" only happened with the death and reemergence of GT-racing in Europe

Last edited by Speed-King; 7 Aug 2010 at 17:21.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 17:22 (Ref:2741013)   #4
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always assumed that coupés belong in GT racing and saloons (and hatchbacks) in touring car racing... where I'd define a coupé as a 2-door car with a sloping roofline, and a saloon as a 4-door car, or a 2-door car with at least 4 seats and a very distinct 3-box design (the E92 3 series and the 6 series are both still coupés in my opinion, mostly due to their strongly sloping roofline, although I could understand people disagreeing...)

regarding the musclecars, I consider the ford mustang and chevy camaro both coupés due to their sloping roofline.
The dodge challenger has a rather steeper drop in its roofline / rear window, but considering its overall shape (especially the negligible rear side windows and the way that makes the rear seats seem unsuitable for long travel), I'd still call it a coupé.

as to how effective they'd be as GT racers, that's another matter, but not important in their classification as coupés thus eligible for GT racing...

Last edited by gucom; 7 Aug 2010 at 17:32.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2741027)   #5
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drag strip.

p.s. @ Gucom. Coupes have 2 doors. The person who came up with the "4 door coupe" moniker needs to be shot.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 18:14 (Ref:2741031)   #6
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Drag strip.

p.s. @ Gucom. Coupes have 2 doors. The person who came up with the "4 door coupe" moniker needs to be shot.
Audi or Porsche?
Old 7 Aug 2010, 19:01 (Ref:2741048)   #7
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Mercedes were the first with the CLS
Old 7 Aug 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2741098)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
I think Mercedes were the first with the CLS
Rover 3-Litre Coupé, early 1960s, had four doors.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 22:19 (Ref:2741186)   #9
gucom
Racer

@ MatadorRacing: I totally agree on a 4-door coupe being impossible (although I wouldnt label the RX8 a saloon but a coupe, but that's the only exception I can think of), but that's basically what I said right? or am I misunderstanding your point?
Old 7 Aug 2010, 22:40 (Ref:2741188)   #10
fiend540
Racer

United States
East Aurora NY
fiend540 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No the only cars that belong in gt are Porsche and Ferrari..
Old 8 Aug 2010, 02:53 (Ref:2741227)   #11
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I will have another post later...

The post will be titled "Beers & Brats vs Wine & Cheese" but this subject matter is along the same lines.

America has never had a Kingdom or a long history of lower class suffering with no middle class.

European Sports Cars are expensive to buy, maintain and run. American cars are cheap, easy to repair/upgrade and generally more affordable.

Because Drag Racing is an affordable sport using your everyday daily driver in most cases, means manufacturers can stick with solid axle rear ends which are much cheaper to do than IRS (also cheap to repair when it does break). This is why handling has suffered usually on American cars. Now having said that, there is technology where you can get a solid axle car to handle extremely well, the problems are on wavy pavement.

Even today the largest memberships of SCCA and NHRA are made up of middle and upper middle class families/income earners. This explains why you see mostly affordable cars at NASA and SCCA Club events. They have usually legislated out uber performance cars like Porsche and Corvettes.

SCCA T-1 is basically one step below SCCA World Challenge. The main protagonist are Dodge Vipers and Chevy Corvettes. But even by European standards those cars are still affordable.

As an American I don't understand this sort of elitist bent on Sports Car Racing where's there are questions of weather Muscle Cars like Mustang and Camaros belong on track in the same class with Porsche and Ferrari. The only advantage of either of those cars are heavily developed (911) or optimized mid-engine designed.

Or even if BMW's M3 should be allowed...

If Ford really wanted to build a high performance world beater it could, look at the Ford GT.

The problem is the average American wouldn't be able to buy a $50,000 Mustang Cobra or GT500 or whatever you want to call it.

For the first half of 2010 Porsche sales are up at 10,984 units sold as of July 1st.

By Feb 2010; 11,000 2011 Mustangs had been ordered....

Ford Sells more Mustangs total in a year than Porsche sells cars PERIOD.

Ford tried to make the Mustang a world beater once. They had the Mustang Cobra with the IRS from the Thunderbird and was a pretty good handling car. They wanted to try to go for balanced performance. But the Mustang market is firmly working class and likes to Drag Race. Drag Racers don't like the IRS because when it breaks its expensive to repair (also chassis squat unloads the rear tires under acceleration).

The current Mustang chassis is the S197 which is the same car as the Lincoln LS and Jaguar XJ Sedan. So its very possible to have IRS in a Mustang.

As I said the people that buy them, don't want to spend the money. Saleen tried it by building the Saleen Mustang SR, it was the pre-courser to the Mustang Cobra with IRS. He took those cars to Le Mans and ran them in the ALMS in the early days before the S7 appeared.

The Marc VDS Mustang FR500 GT3 has IRS and I keep saying was on pace at Jarama before being pulled and the whole project rebooted for 2011.

So I think American Cars (Muscle Cars if you will) have every right to be in the same class and series as European Sports Cars. I guess you can call the M3, Mustang and Camaro "Sporty Cars" but all of them are pretty series "drivers" in their own right.

Its just how America does things, rather bluntly...

Last edited by dj4monie; 8 Aug 2010 at 03:03.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 04:56 (Ref:2741239)   #12
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend540 View Post
No the only cars that belong in gt are Porsche and Ferrari..
/end topic. Seriously though, the Spa thread was frustrating to read because of this.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 05:31 (Ref:2741247)   #13
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
/end topic. Seriously though, the Spa thread was frustrating to read because of this.
You're gonna find a lot of topics eventually gravitate towards that, so suck it up and deal with it now.

As for the AAGT/EUGT bullspit, you can't beat these:
Old 8 Aug 2010, 05:35 (Ref:2741248)   #14
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
As for the AAGT/EUGT bullspit, you can't beat these:
Absolutely, and that's what ALMS is sorely lacking these days and why the ACO-regs need to go (at least in GT)...
Old 8 Aug 2010, 09:03 (Ref:2741277)   #15
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
speaking of .. were the Oldsmobile Aurora's tube frame cars?

Ciao Marco
Old 8 Aug 2010, 09:12 (Ref:2741279)   #16
Speed-King
Veteran

Looks like a tubeframe to me...

The Brix-Racing cars were most probably based on the same chassis as both were built by P&M.

Also: check out the headlight-stickers on your photo of the Brix car...
Old 8 Aug 2010, 10:08 (Ref:2741291)   #17
gucom
Racer

dj4monie, I totally agree, the American cars (muscle cars, 'vette, viper) and the european "elitist" cars (911, ferrari) are all performance cars, they're all coupés, so there's no reason they shouldn't race together if they can be made competitive within a certain ruleset.

I guess the European equivalent of a working class performance car is the hot hatch, but due to their body shape I guess they're more suitable to touring car racing (and their typical engine size wouldn't allow them to be competitive with the cars competing in classes like GT3 anyway).
Old 8 Aug 2010, 10:36 (Ref:2741301)   #18
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gucom View Post
dj4monie, I totally agree, the American cars (muscle cars, 'vette, viper) and the european "elitist" cars (911, ferrari) are all performance cars, they're all coupés, so there's no reason they shouldn't race together if they can be made competitive within a certain ruleset.

I guess the European equivalent of a working class performance car is the hot hatch, but due to their body shape I guess they're more suitable to touring car racing (and their typical engine size wouldn't allow them to be competitive with the cars competing in classes like GT3 anyway).
That's why I have been saying for years that there needs to be a revival of a GTU-kind of class, at least in the US, but I'd also love to see that here in Europe... That's also one of the issues with Grand Am GT, which tries to combine potential GTO with potential GTU-cars like the Mazda, though I wonder if that may change if they introduce GT3 rules...
Old 8 Aug 2010, 10:44 (Ref:2741302)   #19
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I would like to see muscle cars in GT racing. They make a nice change from the Ferrari vs Porsche battles. Comparing the sizes between a Camaro and a DB9, does give the impression that a Camaro or a Mustang for that matter wouldn't look too out of place as either a GT1 or an LMGT. (That's if the Vette and GT didn't exist.)
Old 8 Aug 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2741337)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
One of my favorites of the 90s: Allen Speedlab - Ford Mustang

EDIT: I see there's an Home Improvement sticker on the car. The team was partly owned by actor Tim Allen?
Old 8 Aug 2010, 13:22 (Ref:2741347)   #21
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Run what ya brung I say!
Old 8 Aug 2010, 13:38 (Ref:2741352)   #22
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post

EDIT: I see there's an Home Improvement sticker on the car. The team was partly owned by actor Tim Allen?
I assume he was owner, certainly money person.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 15:33 (Ref:2741388)   #23
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post

He also drove the car.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2741412)   #24
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yupp Saleen-Allen Speedlabs I believe the team was called.

Chris
Old 8 Aug 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2741414)   #25
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Yupp Saleen-Allen Speedlabs I believe the team was called.

Chris
Yup, loved that car in the old "Sportscar GT" game...