Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Aug 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1698299)   #1
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is everyone marked as an undiscovered tallent ?

Reading this weeks autosport it has the 4 main young chargers hekki, Lewis, Robert and Nico. Marked as the ones who will "devide the spoils".

Reading itv-f1.com its going nuts over vettel.

For me so far

Nico has done an acceptable job, which was understandably over hyped due to a good first race. He's not standing out as much at the moment.
Robert, again did a good race in a hi attrition race which probably made a little too much hype.
Hekki, has done solid testing......
Lews has not tested an F1 car yet.......

How can these be regarded as the ones going to devide the spoils ?

Vettel - hasn't really done anything to impress yet ? although he has been solid with his lack of test miles in the car. Yet itv-f1 descrived him as a hidden future world champion that BMW discovered ???? he's done a few tests ??

The questions are

1.) Why is every driver no matter their lower formula achievments being marked as "a future world champion" The only ones I've seen of this are Kimi, Alonso and button (although he took a big dip durning renault).
2.) Are F1 cars too easy to drive, if random driver A who can't win an F3 race can jump into it and look like potential world champion ?
3.) Why are these "unknowns" and to some degree unproven drivers getting the nod over more proven (I don't mean better) drivers, such as Albers, Jamie Green, Van-der-merve (to pick a few with credible CV's at random)

FYI: I'm not agreeing/dissagreeing with any of the potential future world champions, or saying that people like green are better, I just picked them as random examples.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1698350)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The drivers you name have all won major feeder championships. It's inevitable that they will be hyped up by media looking for a story. Suggesting that Albers who couldn't score a single point in F3000 in a race-winning team is better than the drivers you name is laughable.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 10:18 (Ref:1698352)   #3
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym
Reading this weeks autosport it has the 4 main young chargers hekki, Lewis, Robert and Nico. Marked as the ones who will "devide the spoils".
Isn't that LAST week's?
Old 31 Aug 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1698358)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some of those are very good - Vettel being one, Lewis another. Lewis has tested an F1 car, think it was Nov / Dec time in 04? Was at Silverstone and think it rained, can't remember!
Old 31 Aug 2006, 10:38 (Ref:1698368)   #5
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lewis done a TV ad with Kimis helmet on. He had to drive slowly for most of the lap!

Its classic overhype of OK drivers. Theres plenty of drivers out there capable of winning in F1, possibly even winning championships. But it always comes back to budget, very few drivers there on merit anymore.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1698370)   #6
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Believe he actually did a proper test too, alongside Paffett *I think.*
Old 31 Aug 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1698381)   #7
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Id like to see Paffett in a race seat, same as I think Lewis is almost overdue a race seat.

Its just so messed up in F1 that drivers that are un-proven and a bit too rich seem to get the drives. Just look at Alex Yoong!

As for calling them all future champions, I think Lewis is a good bet, Heike is an outside bet, Kubica very unlikley and same with Rosberg.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1698406)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Doc H is the next "undiscovered" talent.

See, that's my prediction, now if Doc doesn't do well then "ach, he never had the budget" but if he does go all the way then remember where you read the prediction first!

ps: Doc, cut me in for 10%
Old 31 Aug 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1698478)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!

It's always been the same - either someone clearly stands out as a hot shot which makes it patently obvious they are going to make it to F1 and do well, such as Gilles, Mansell, Senna, Schuey, Hakkinen, Kimi etc..

or,

they are the recipient of a major marketing/pr campaign courtesy of some manager or other which helps them along nicely!

Or in the case of people like Button, Hill, Villeneuve and possibly Nico BOTH
Old 31 Aug 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1698523)   #10
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
The drivers you name have all won major feeder championships. It's inevitable that they will be hyped up by media looking for a story. Suggesting that Albers who couldn't score a single point in F3000 in a race-winning team is better than the drivers you name is laughable.
Albers has come along way in the last few years, he certainly seems to have found his feet in Formula One. It's not uncommon for a driver to look unimpressive in one series but flourish on the stepup, likewise how some drivers' talent will level out at GP2 or Formula 3.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 14:05 (Ref:1698527)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Surely as they are all being mentioned in a magazine such as Autosport and are all affiliated to current F1 teams, they are "discovered" talent's, not "undiscovered" as the thread title suggests
Old 31 Aug 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1698611)   #12
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Melbourne and Fort Lauderdale
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Why? Because it sells magazines.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 02:10 (Ref:1698960)   #13
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Judicata
Why? Because it sells magazines.

That was probably the best "intelligence per words ratio" post ever written in this forum !!!
Old 4 Sep 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1701589)   #14
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cynical, but true. The thing people overlook is that GP2 has a new champion and several new race winners each year, but F1 has the same drivers at the top for a decade or more, with only occasional new winners. Hamilton, Rosberg, Nelsinho et al are all fighting for the same drives as Alonso, Kimi et al.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 02:25 (Ref:1705628)   #15
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's probably a real undiscovered talent in the backblocks of Sibera who nobody has discovered yet. He'll combine the best of Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Villeneuve (both of them) and sweep all before him ... in a Super Aguri.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 06:15 (Ref:1705690)   #16
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even this guy was an "undiscovered tallent" once!