Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Feb 2007, 09:05 (Ref:1852618)   #26
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Don't forget that the AGP people are in the business of entertaining people - they don't care about F5000 or historics.

The Aussie Racing Cars certainly fall into the entertainment category and appeal to a broad range of fans - I dare say they'll be the most exciting racing at the GP.
No offence to the Karting community (at all!!! right!) but they let a bunch of underpowered Karts drone around this magnificent track as a "filler" once. Superkarts would have been great to see....but no...its just a farce
Old 27 Feb 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1852732)   #27
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's quite an embarassment really, I defy anyone outside the ARC community to name the first three to five placegetters in the championship last year.
Sure, there are a lot of funny little cars running around in bunches, but unless the driver is one of the the Creators "inner circle" I.E. able to bring in a sponsor to to further the empire, they have no chance of running near the front.
Apart from which, how many drivers have progressed from ARC to the front of any other category?
Drop this pointless "novelty" event, and bring on something of relevance, historic or whatever.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 11:34 (Ref:1852736)   #28
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No offence, but naming the top 3-5?

I doubt whether you can do that for either of Formula Ford, Carrera Cup, GT Championship, Fujitsu or F3.

Whats your point?
Old 27 Feb 2007, 11:43 (Ref:1852741)   #29
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumble in the Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett
Hi all, I have to say the F5000's would be spectacular around the lake, anyone who went to the Sandown Historics last year would have seen how spectacular a full field of these beasts are, and the presentation of them is amazing especially as the drivers arent afraid of pushing them hard. And there are close to 30 of them for Phillip Island in a few weeks, and this sort of event would bring even more of the big cars from the UK.
A-men brother....I would pay to wave Flags at that one
Old 27 Feb 2007, 11:55 (Ref:1852750)   #30
Backagain
Racer

No offence taken Oaksnaf, but my point is that we will have a category running at the AUSTRALIAN F1 GP which is totally irrelevant to most Motorsports fans let alone the general public. This category is ok at local tracks to make up the numbers, but to run it at an international event is a huge embarassment to the Australian Motor Racing scene.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 12:07 (Ref:1852762)   #31
lucypumablue
Rookie

England
(Not-so) Sunny Sussex
lucypumablue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain
No offence taken Oaksnaf, but my point is that we will have a category running at the AUSTRALIAN F1 GP which is totally irrelevant to most Motorsports fans let alone the general public. This category is ok at local tracks to make up the numbers, but to run it at an international event is a huge embarassment to the Australian Motor Racing scene.
I disagree completely!
How can the ARC be 'irrelevant to most motorsport fans'?
Do motorsport fans not want to see big grids?
Do they also not want to see plenty of overtaking?
3-4 wide into corners?
Will they see that in F1?
Certainly not! But I can practically guarantee they will with ARC!
Old 27 Feb 2007, 12:20 (Ref:1852775)   #32
Backagain
Racer

Yes Lucy, they will see lots of strange little cars with drivers they have never heard of. Sure they dice for position, but who are they ? Who do the public barrack for ? The funny little black "Ford" or the funny little yellow "Holden" What does it all mean when the drivers can only end up near the front if they are lucky enough to buy a "New" car built from second hand bits and it hangs together long enough to finish the first race or has enough power from the "New" used engine to pull the proverbial off a rice pudding.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 12:28 (Ref:1852779)   #33
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Supercars is really the only category in Australia where the general public and a large % of spectators know the names of those competing.

Go to a state round and a genuine spectator knows enough to tell the difference between a Formula Vee and a Formula Ford. But wouldn't really know who is winning (unless on track commentary of course) but they dont really care, as the racing is entertaining.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 21:13 (Ref:1853229)   #34
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yes Lucy, they will see lots of strange little cars with drivers they have never heard of. Sure they dice for position, but who are they ? Who do the public barrack for ? The funny little black "Ford" or the funny little yellow "Holden" What does it all mean when the drivers can only end up near the front if they are lucky enough to buy a "New" car built from second hand bits and it hangs together long enough to finish the first race or has enough power from the "New" used engine to pull the proverbial off a rice pudding.
What a complete load of rubbish!

How many drivers do you reckon the general fans (because at least 90 per cent of GP attendees no nothing specific about motorsport) know in any category after V8Supercars!?

I can't even name five names from Formula Ford or Formula 3 off the top of my head.

Do you think the public care which different Porsche wins in the Carrera Cup?

42 entries for the Clipsal 500 seem to think that the product that is being produced is of a sufficiently high standard to put their money where there mouth is - your claims have no merit.

To suggest Aussie Racing Cars are irrelevant to motorsport is utter hogwash. It is the now the major entry-level class in Australian racing. It teaches racing skills and puts young drivers at the most important race meetings in the country.

What is irrelevant about 42 entries carving it up on a race track!? They'll prove a massive hit, like they have everywhere else.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 21:27 (Ref:1853248)   #35
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Dasher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sounds like you have had a less than satisfactory experience with the ARC camp & family.
Funny thing that,your not the first one to hear it from.

Personally, I don't think there is any relevance to them being on the showcase AGP program, but they will be more entertaining than the "Challenge Karts" and thats what its all about.

Unless you are at the track, nobody will be embarrassed that this is the best support program they could find.

Last edited by Dasher; 27 Feb 2007 at 21:31.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1853308)   #36
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think most people will like the ARC’s on the bill, they produce very entertaining racing. I do think not having the F5000s is a missed opportunity as it is a very rare occasion that there is a full grid like we will see at Philip Island. It would be a huge bonus/drawcard to the overseas entrants too. The only people who may not like it would be the VHRR because any blow-ups would impact on their event, but the promotion would go a long way to outweighing that.

Not to mention it would show the F1 teams what a proper V8 sounds like!
Old 1 Mar 2007, 06:27 (Ref:1854340)   #37
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Paul Kemal on pole after first Qual session...

Bring on race one!

Go the Datto!!!