Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 16 Jun 2011, 04:22 (Ref:2899934)   #226
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Collins View Post
Haven't read much about the fact that this is almost one make racing (with clip on panels), the class/cars seems to be stacking (excuse the pun) up nicely but they will need a big parts box as all controlled class racing has proven to date.
You won't be seeing the straight line power passing and with a top driver line up it will make for some very aggressive driving. Great spectator sport! Not fun when your watching from the team garage.
Quite correct. Throw in a couple of kids (by comparison with the majority of the field) and you will need a container or three for the new bits because they will overdrive as their dad's will be paying for their damage.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 07:24 (Ref:2899988)   #227
V8madness
Rookie

V8madness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard through the motorsport grapevine the new NZV8 is based on a full tube frame chassis with some pretty trick fabricated suspension and 9inch Diff.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 08:26 (Ref:2900014)   #228
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
MarioNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8madness View Post
I heard through the motorsport grapevine the new NZV8 is based on a full tube frame chassis with some pretty trick fabricated suspension and 9inch Diff.
Sooo...kinda like a Supertourer then?? Not exactly production based. Why copy a concept that's already well underway?

@On_to_it, the program I was referring to had Tim Edgell and the guy from NZV8s talking about the new car and he called it a purpose built race car, as described by the 'newly recruited' V8madness
Old 16 Jun 2011, 09:59 (Ref:2900084)   #229
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Thanks Mario. As I said, I missed the program. So is the plan for these 'new NZ V8's' to appear in the 2013/14 season because MSNZ have said the current configuration will have two more seasons?
Old 16 Jun 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2900097)   #230
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNZ View Post
Why copy a concept that's already well underway?
like V8 Supercars?
Old 16 Jun 2011, 10:31 (Ref:2900108)   #231
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sooo...kinda like a Supertourer then?? Not exactly production based. Why copy a concept that's already well underway?

@On_to_it, the program I was referring to had Tim Edgell and the guy from NZV8s talking about the new car and he called it a purpose built race car, as described by the 'newly recruited' V8madness
I saw the program the other day too. They did say the new car would have some "Ford DNA" so from that I thought maybe it would be built on a production bodyshell, but that could be far from the mark, I was only guessing Maybe it will have a Ford Engine? See also here:
http://www.motorsport.org.nz/new-car...-championship/

Why copy a concept that is already underway? Well I suppose it depends on whose point of view you take. Mark Petch WAS CEO of NZ V8's for a while there, and part of what he was involved in was the research and development of a replacement car for the aging NZV8's. Last year he parted company with NZV8's and lo and behold this "new" V8 ST suddenly emerged. I do not kow what the politics behind the departure of MP and why he decided to go his own way, nor do I care, but he obviously thinks he can run a better show than the NZV8's, and I have to say the new car looks good. But the existing NZV8 regime is not about to roll over and die it seems, so things could get interesting!
See also here:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99457

I agree with Martin Collins, will be great for spectators, but not for those watching on the monitors in the pit garages!

Conrad

Last edited by brown dog; 16 Jun 2011 at 10:41.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 22:50 (Ref:2900629)   #232
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
brown dog, thanks for the link to the MSNZ article. Now they are saying “Construction of the new generation Ford FG and Holden VE models that will be introduced for the 2012/13 season is well underway and further details will be released next month". So it seems the current car has one season left in it maybe with some tweaks, not two seasons as I'm sure they have stated elsewhere. I think we might sit-out a season and let the dust settle.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 02:38 (Ref:2901222)   #233
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
The CoTF is moving to Polycarb windscreens rather than glass, which they claim is 250x as strong (hence I guess able to resist any wayward wheels and roos').

I guess it will also give better in car vision for cameras and drivers, which can only be good.
I don't know about those claims, but keep in mind polycarb degrades in sunlight and it will weaken.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 04:28 (Ref:2901232)   #234
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I don't know about those claims, but keep in mind polycarb degrades in sunlight and it will weaken.
Shouldn't get much chance to do that though - they replace screens after every weekend now so assuming same with polycarb than it's only got to deal with the sun for three days before it's junked.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 04:59 (Ref:2901235)   #235
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Shouldn't get much chance to do that though - they replace screens after every weekend now so assuming same with polycarb than it's only got to deal with the sun for three days before it's junked.
At an apparent Aus$3000 a pop, not sure even V8SC teams would be replacing them every weekend?
Old 18 Jun 2011, 06:50 (Ref:2901249)   #236
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
At an apparent Aus$3000 a pop, not sure even V8SC teams would be replacing them every weekend?
Fair point but once they're sand blasted then the vision is impacted too much to keep using. Tear offs may help a bit of course. Even if they do two or three weekends with them it is unlikely the screens will enough sun exposure to get brittle and reduce vision before they get impacted by sand blasting.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2901503)   #237
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
If so then they will be fine.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 05:03 (Ref:2902679)   #238
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I presume from This Ad Here that Mr Tulloch is staying with the existing series for the time being at least, running a car for Mr Bargwanna in this season's NZV8 events...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 21 Jun 2011, 05:42 (Ref:2902690)   #239
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
maybe not everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side of the fence
Old 21 Jun 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2902746)   #240
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two things. People need to listen to Martin Collins and Inky did not get to be where he is today by chasing dreams, he is far more realistic than that.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2902805)   #241
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just wondering if i could adapt this to the new NZV8's

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hossack-344x224.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	33510
Old 21 Jun 2011, 22:20 (Ref:2903178)   #242
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I presume from This Ad Here that Mr Tulloch is staying with the existing series for the time being at least, running a car for Mr Bargwanna in this season's NZV8 events...
Presumably this is Eddie Bell's car? Hope to see him back behind the wheel this season, a good peddler dogged by bad luck last season, and a hell of a nice guy.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 22:27 (Ref:2903185)   #243
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie's name was included in the list of 16 entries for the debut V8ST series. He showed at Hamilton he's still got what it takes to mix it with the front runners, in identical cars he should be good value.

Fomoco, I was thinking the same thing, perhaps Ant Pedersons International Motorsport entry could have an Audi body draped over it?
Old 23 Jun 2011, 05:52 (Ref:2904582)   #244
V8madness
Rookie

V8madness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
just wondering if i could adapt this to the new NZV8's

Attachment 33510

FOMOCO, I couldnt see this being a problem with the new NZV8 Chassis.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 11:54 (Ref:2909278)   #245
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The prototype ran a 57.9 at Puke today fyi
Old 1 Jul 2011, 23:11 (Ref:2909648)   #246
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
is this the 2nd or 3rd day at Puke?

do the ST guys still see a 53 or 54 second lap in the car?
Old 2 Jul 2011, 02:33 (Ref:2909704)   #247
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
is this the 2nd or 3rd day at Puke?

do the ST guys still see a 53 or 54 second lap in the car?
Facebook site says it's the first proper dry run the car's had.

When did anyone predict those sort of lap times??? Maybe you were thinking of this prediciton? (I remembered something about Mark Petch talking about something doing 53's at Pukekohe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Hi jd,
having recently smashed the Pukekohe lap record [54.5] Scooter [Kayne Scott] and I are looking to bring my totally rebuilt Pratt and Miller Dodge Viper SCCA Transam car over for for one or two meetings this year.
First of all we want to have a crack at the outright lap record at Pukekohe, 53.8 which we think is doable then it's over to Australia.
Given the saloon car record (with mega horsepower Trans AM cars) at Puke is a mid 54 and V8 Supercar a 56ish lap then there's no way this car would be in that territory. In relative terms though I'd say a 57 out of the box is pretty impressive.

Note: one small correction, after Googling Pukekohe lap records the outright lap record is actually a 52.9 set by Simon Wills in the 2000 NZ Grand Prix meeting. Wikipedia has it wrong also so someone can feel free to update it
Old 2 Jul 2011, 04:07 (Ref:2909716)   #248
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
i'm sure Petch was claiming the new ST would be faster than a Tranzam. i was just wondering how much was left in the ST.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 15:06 (Ref:2917992)   #249
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
i'm sure Petch was claiming the new ST would be faster than a Tranzam. i was just wondering how much was left in the ST.
Wrong, on the first count.

On the second count, we have not even begun to 'scratch the surface' on the V8ST's ultimate performance potential in our very limited testing program thus far.

So I guess we will all just have to wait and see, but a low 55 at Pukekohe is definitely on the cards, least IMO.

Mark Petch.
CEO. V8 Supertourers Ltd.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 20:44 (Ref:2918177)   #250
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
no worries, i could've sworn there was a comparison made between the ST and old Tranzams in one of the online videos or tv interviews
Closed Thread