Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 24 Nov 2005, 01:17 (Ref:1468935)   #51
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I probably missed it elsewhere, but who exactly is preparing the car for Team Australia? Is it Alan Docking Racing? The reason I ask is that we seem to be lacking in some knowledgeable engineers to assist getting the car right. I know that the driver plays a major role as well, but given Will Davison's ability in a car, I don't think it rests squarely on his shoulders. The Press Conference after Eastern Creek was interesting, as clearly neither AJ or WD were happy with the performance on a 'home' track, and both stated the team needs to get a better handle on the way the car works and responds. They both singled out Team France as having gotten the jump on the field in terms of setup of the car.

I wish it was Will Power and Will Davo in the team though, I suspect that Davo is not getting much in the way of feedback and setup from Christian Jones. Christian is a solid driver, but he's out of his depth in A1 unfortunately.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 01:53 (Ref:1468950)   #52
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
Was it just luck at the first round or is Will Power better than Will D. They haven't really figured since Will P left.
I didn't even think that was a valid question. Will P has had Davo's measure every time they've gone up against each other.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 03:36 (Ref:1468986)   #53
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
I didn't even think that was a valid question. Will P has had Davo's measure every time they've gone up against each other.
I thought it was a valid question chucky, with the exception of the second round Will D has been in the car since and it has been nowhere.
France may have got a handle quicker than anyone else but it would have taken more than one race meeting to do that.
Will Power is good but is he really that much better or is something else going on.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 05:04 (Ref:1469010)   #54
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australia were a bit embarrasing in Malaysia. The spin in qualifying was one thing, but then on race day they didn't make any ground up either. Will Davison was down the back racing Diaz and Mathius Lauda!

Either ADR are not getting the job done engineering wise or they are not getting enough information on Fridays as a result of splitting the driving duties. Perhaps Jones Snr needs to admit Jones Jnr is not up to it and give the lead driver a full weekend.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 06:13 (Ref:1469033)   #55
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Australia were a bit embarrasing in Malaysia. The spin in qualifying was one thing, but then on race day they didn't make any ground up either. Will Davison was down the back racing Diaz and Mathius Lauda!
I think they didnt make up any ground in the first race because Davsion went out at the 2nd corner.

Race two was a solid drive. 24th to 11th and the dice with Piquet was anything but embarassing.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 06:23 (Ref:1469038)   #56
Sequel
Racer

Sequel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
11th out of how many finishers? I dont believe he passed 13 cars.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 08:05 (Ref:1469086)   #57
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Race two was a solid drive. 24th to 11th and the dice with Piquet was anything but embarassing.
Fair go DRT, Piquet came from half a lap down after stalling on the grid and then finished 11 secs in front. You can hardly compare the pace between the two.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1469134)   #58
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look where Italy and the Czech Republic started and finished in the feature. Australia in comparison didn't pass too many other cars...they just did not have the pace.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 02:05 (Ref:1469800)   #59
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Fair go DRT, Piquet came from half a lap down after stalling on the grid and then finished 11 secs in front. You can hardly compare the pace between the two.
I wasn't trying to compare raw speed, just the battle between Davison and Piquet showed a great amount of skill.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 02:20 (Ref:1469806)   #60
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Will Power is good but is he really that much better or is something else going on.
Yes, he is.

The main difference is that given a good car that is 100%, Will Davo will do a good job. Anything less and he struggles.

However, you only have to give Will Power a car that 70% and he'll drag it the rest of the way. And look out if you give him the full 100%............
Old 13 Dec 2005, 03:50 (Ref:1482801)   #61
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
Yes, he is.

The main difference is that given a good car that is 100%, Will Davo will do a good job. Anything less and he struggles.

However, you only have to give Will Power a car that 70% and he'll drag it the rest of the way. And look out if you give him the full 100%............
Right.

Unless Briscoe or Courtney make themselves available, I think it might be worth a try to put Neil McFadyen or another consistantly fast driver from the Australian series in.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1482997)   #62
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ok so who do we have to fill the drivers seat ?

Will Davison (but he is off to V8 Supercar next year isnt he ?)
Christian Jones
Ryan Briscoe (could be a nice comeback trail for him)
James Courtney (Also off to V8's so we wont see him)

who else is there besides the brilliant Will Power who wont run because of his champcar deal (If i was Champcar team australia i would release him to drive a1 just to get more racing miles under his belt before pre season testing starts but thats just me)

I have no idea about other aussies that are out there.

gee 3 , 4 or 5 years ago we had heaps of them but sadly things seem to be drying up yet again
Old 13 Dec 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1483380)   #63
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Briscoe's just tested a ChampCar, has he not?
Old 13 Dec 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1483384)   #64
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes he has
Old 14 Dec 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1483811)   #65
schitarella
Rookie

schitarella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
(If i was Champcar team australia i would release him to drive a1 just to get more racing miles under his belt before pre season testing starts but thats just me)

unfortunatly thats not possible at the moment as the champ car team australia team makes all their drivers sign a contract not allowing their drivers to drive the A1GP due to the fact that both teams are branded "team Aus" and probably trying to land the same target sponsors.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 04:19 (Ref:1484422)   #66
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeah makes sense (and Welcome to Ten tenths by the way )

Of course I was just thinking on the actual keeping the driving skills up to a good level but you make a valid point I guess.

So who else do we have lurking around that would or should be able to step into team australia ?
Old 15 Dec 2005, 05:18 (Ref:1484442)   #67
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murchinson - gone very quiet after a few F3(000) test a couple of years ago...
Or even Murphy/Lowndes/Bright... (yeah, yeah, I know...)
Old 15 Dec 2005, 06:13 (Ref:1484452)   #68
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
McFadyen - Doesn't play well with the other kids/struggles in a proper team environment.

Will Davo - Has consistently underwhelmed so far
CJones - See above multiplied by 4
Murcho - Possible. Although I can't remember his last decent run
Karl Reindler - 2004 Aust. F3 champ - Good, quick young guy.
Ian Dyk - Very capable young driver. Runner up to Reindler. Possible.
Briscoe - Dream on
Courtney - Ditto
Hackett - 2001 Aust. F3 champ. Could be the break he's still looking for. And has already tested for them
John Petit - Currently spannering in the USA but was blindingly quick in FFord and F3.
Murphy/Lowndes/Bright - Well past open wheelers, especially at this level. Well maybe not CL but they'd never let himout to play.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 06:28 (Ref:1484455)   #69
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silly question, what about a current FF driver, from one of the state series or the National series?
Old 16 Dec 2005, 04:37 (Ref:1485133)   #70
D.R.T.
Veteran

Thats a pretty big jump.

I think a little harsh on Davison there chucky, I dont think the Aussie car is all there at the moment. I think Davison needs more time in the car at each weekend, which can be seen by his position at the feature race at each event.

Barton Mawer would be someone who I would be going to.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 04:41 (Ref:1485134)   #71
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Davison and ADR weren't the perfect match in F3, I recall?
Old 16 Dec 2005, 05:38 (Ref:1485146)   #72
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Will P had even less time than him and was at the front.

And I forgot al about Bart! He'd be ideal.
Old 17 Dec 2005, 06:20 (Ref:1485632)   #73
D.R.T.
Veteran

Yeah Barton would be my number 1.

Aaron Carrati, courtesy of his Aus F3 championship win should be suiting up for a A1 test, whether that be on a Friday at one of the rounds or is there any A1 sanctioned test days during the christmas break.
Old 17 Dec 2005, 08:11 (Ref:1485652)   #74
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barton would do a great job for the team. I know his F3 team were really impressed with his ability and personality.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 06:46 (Ref:1485959)   #75
thebandit
Rookie

thebandit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is team australia looking for any new drivers?

with team australia going hopeless, i hope alan jones is looking for some new drivers to replace the current drivers. jnr jones should never drive .

you think some of the v8supercar drivers would want to have a crack at it eg. jason biright as he loves open wheelers. im sure alot would.