Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 21 Jul 2011, 21:50 (Ref:2929602)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Round 10 - Moto GP 2011, Laguna Seca

The premier class has flown part way around the globe to California. (insert comment here about staging a fly away race one week after the previous round) More specifically, they have come to Laguna Seca, the site of the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix. It's the yearly visit to one of the more unique circuits on the calender.

I think this race could well be like the last one, although probably not quite as close. I think Stoner will once again be the 'ultimate' pace setter and will likely be on pole. He has always gone quickly here. BUT, similar to Sachsenring I can see him punishing the tires a bit much. Enter Pedrosa, who has also been traditionally quick here. He was looking at back to back wins last year until he binned it. Speaking of last year, I think Lorenzo will be the other favorite for victory. He has refound his confidence after looking at 2010 setups and parts. I say a Spanish duel with Stoner third.

Spies could potentially be a podium factor, as this is a home circuit and former happy hunting ground. He needs to be on his 'Assen' game though. At least the bike will look similar to that. Simoncelli could also toss in a spoiler I think. Laguna is the type of track that could favor his 'grab it by the throat' style. What about Dovi? He'll be close I think, but not close enough.

Then we come to Ducati. They are bringing a GP11/GP11.1 combo for both riders this weekend. This could be rather entertaining, as it all looks very desperate now. They could either completely derail themselves, or find the needle in the haystack.

Should I mention that we have Ben Bostrom on an LCR Honda as a wildcard? Nah, I didn't think so. I don't think any americans care either...

I for one can't wait! As always I'll try and report a bit of what I see at the track. Yes I have a lot of pride for this race, as it's in my back yard. Deal with it!
Old 22 Jul 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2929883)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stoner, Pedrosa and Lorenzo separated by 0.12 seconds. Think they're gonna run away with this one.

Edit: Afternoon session was more of the same. Dovi and Spies are a few tenths back.

Last edited by jhansen; 22 Jul 2011 at 22:32.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 08:09 (Ref:2930039)   #3
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
like usual .. Colin rocks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pijkSmA9rsc#t=03m37s

Ciao Marco
Old 24 Jul 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2930437)   #4
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Enjoyed some time at the track yesterday. A few comments:

The Repsol boys are fast, no surprise. But the bike looks smooth over the bumps, and not a lot of TC goin on.

Interestingly enough, I heard a lot of TC with the Yamaha riders. I don't recall that being the case last year. But Jorge looks dang good.

Ducati = traction control. Very noticeable. The bikes also don't look very settled.

B-Boz, yeah he's slower than RLH was last year. And over a second off Elias?
Old 24 Jul 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2930485)   #5
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
once again i have news on someone not racing due to injury and this time it is De Puniet for his injury in a qualfying crash. thanks to wild card we have 17 bikers on the grid
Old 25 Jul 2011, 00:51 (Ref:2930670)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
That was pretty good actually. Yes, a bit processional, but there were some good passes that were made with a lot of commitment. Stoner is showing a lot of maturity this year. He wasn't happy with the bike in the opening laps and just stayed in touch until the fuel load came off. Then it was game on. Even so, I thought for sure that Lorenzo has this one covered. And I also thought Pedrosa had something in his pocket. Spies once again threw away a better finish with a bad start. And I really think Hayden is starting to lose it. Heart just isn't cutting it anymore. It's been since 2006 that he's had the measure of his teammate.

Roll on Brno!
Old 25 Jul 2011, 06:21 (Ref:2930719)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Enjoyed watching the top 3 - thought Stoner's win was one of his best, then saw the way Jorge got of his bike in pain - hope that dont take the gloss of the Stoner win. Saying that, impressed with Jorge, but have been since his 125cc Derbi days - he must have an Australian bloodline somewhere !
Old 25 Jul 2011, 07:55 (Ref:2930748)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was certianly struggling, but Stoner had more left in the tank, Lorenzo to win the title needed I think to win these last tow as power will count more from now on!

Be nice if he went to Motegi and Stoenr didnt!
Old 26 Jul 2011, 15:52 (Ref:2931390)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Poor Elias, even Ben Bostrom managed a faster race lap than him. I think it is unlikely that he will see the end of the season.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2931413)   #10
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and be relpaced by who?
anyone on the spot?

Ciao Marco
Old 27 Jul 2011, 09:50 (Ref:2931677)   #11
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spaniard cant be replaced - nor a Moto 2 WC...
Old 27 Jul 2011, 14:43 (Ref:2931790)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Spaniard cant be replaced - nor a Moto 2 WC...
But the rumor was he was given an ultimatum to improve or else...
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:38 (Ref:2932549)   #13
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Get Iannone on it now perhaps...