Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Oct 2011, 12:39 (Ref:2973253)   #726
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
AMR, at a guess. Don't get much smaller, really, until you go to Malvern, and see Morgan!
Old 18 Oct 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2973257)   #727
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
If it looks like a 911, and sounds like a 911, then does it really matter if the engine's in the middle?
After all, it hasn't BEEN a 911 for 20 odd years now! 993,996,997...
Old 18 Oct 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2973289)   #728
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
If it looks like a 911, and sounds like a 911, then does it really matter if the engine's in the middle?
After all, it hasn't BEEN a 911 for 20 odd years now! 993,996,997...
Huh?
Old 18 Oct 2011, 15:21 (Ref:2973308)   #729
DeutschRenn
Rookie

DeutschRenn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think it could be renault/nissan. it would make more sense to run a renault at lemans. or itd be my preference
Old 18 Oct 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2973410)   #730
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschRenn View Post
i think it could be renault/nissan. it would make more sense to run a renault at lemans. or itd be my preference
Aside from their run in the late 70s, Renault has always been more about open-wheelers than sports cars.

Since Nissan already has quite a rich history in sports cars and maintains a presence in LMP2 they will surely be the make the company will be going with for a LMP1 assault.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2973416)   #731
DeutschRenn
Rookie

DeutschRenn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They dropped out of f1 as a car manufacturer.
And happened to show up at the ACO manufacturers meeting 2 years ago.
And like Toyota now have an empty Enstone Facility that no longer builds chassis....and similiar to ToyotaGmbh just engines and kers i believe.
toyota came back. who knows. id love to see a renault. i dont particualry like Nissan/Infiniti. They do not have any good looking vehicles except for the nissan GTR and maybe some of there 350/70 Z models. infinitis are oddly bulbous. and the new Quest? the Juke? The Cube? Nissan needs to drop the funky fresh gig.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2973437)   #732
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They dropped out of f1 as a car manufacturer.
And happened to show up at the ACO manufacturers meeting 2 years ago.
And like Toyota now have an empty Enstone Facility that no longer builds chassis....and similiar to ToyotaGmbh just engines and kers i believe.
toyota came back. who knows. id love to see a renault. i dont particualry like Nissan/Infiniti. They do not have any good looking vehicles except for the nissan GTR and maybe some of there 350/70 Z models. infinitis are oddly bulbous. and the new Quest? the Juke? The Cube? Nissan needs to drop the funky fresh gig.
If it's about looks think of the awesome looking prototypes Nissan has had in the past, R90C, the IMSA GTP ZX, the R390.
And if we're talking about roadcars, what does Renault have in terms of sportscars? What do they have that even compares to the GTRs and the Z cars?
Old 18 Oct 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2973440)   #733
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
If it's about looks think of the awesome looking prototypes Nissan has had in the past, R90C, the IMSA GTP ZX, the R390.
And if we're talking about roadcars, what does Renault have in terms of sportscars? What do they have that even compares to the GTRs and the Z cars?
It's not about road cars though is it. What do Peugeot have apart from that RCZ hairdressers car. No the good thing about the new rules are that it allows manufacturers to showcase technology and racing pedigree hand in hand.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 18:52 (Ref:2973444)   #734
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
that RCZ hairdressers car.

But yes, I agree, roadcars are not relevant to this discussion, I only brought it up because he commented on them.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 19:14 (Ref:2973457)   #735
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
The R390 was a revamped Jaguar XJR-15 I do believe .
Old 18 Oct 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2973465)   #736
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
The R390 was a revamped Jaguar XJR-15 I do believe .
The R390 showed the typical TWR design line especially in the roof line but it was definitely not a revamped XJR-15. The XJR was based on a XJR-9 Group c car while the R390 was a totally new car designed for the GT1 rules. Monocoque, suspension, engine, gearbox and aero were totally different.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 22:51 (Ref:2973563)   #737
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
So who is the third Big manufacture and the small one??????

HYUNDAI???
Ridiculous news would be this, I am unable to believe that Hyundai would never be coming to Le Mans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Aside from their run in the late 70s, Renault has always been more about open-wheelers than sports cars.

Since Nissan already has quite a rich history in sports cars and maintains a presence in LMP2 they will surely be the make the company will be going with for a LMP1 assault.
I can not believe nothing that Renault would be making a comeback sportcars race, but Nissan can build a future LMP1 car.

If you had to choose, so rather I would see the Le Mans 24 circuit the Renault team, but it is a dream.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 23:46 (Ref:2973592)   #738
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
A few months back ACO tell´s that they where in talks with 3 big manufactures and one small to enter in the near future in Le Mans.
Beaumesnil said in total four. He didn't specify how many of them were small or big:
Quote:
ACO sporting manager Vincent Beaumesnil said, "We are in contact with many manufacturers who are interested in LMP1, not just Toyota. I would say there are four, including some big ones and some small ones."
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110617/ALMS/110619866

Remove Toyota and Porsche (announcement came two weeks later) and that leaves two question marks.

I always wondered why did Beaumesnil spill out Toyota? Maybe by accident or then this reflected "the worst kept secret in LMP racing".

Last edited by deggis; 18 Oct 2011 at 23:54.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2973594)   #739
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
And [Renault] happened to show up at the ACO manufacturers meeting 2 years ago.
One year ago (7.19.10 @ http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsjuly10.html).

I think would support Beaumesnil's "in contact with many manufacturers".

Quote:
It is still in use. Renault is just no longer the majority owner of the team.

Last edited by deggis; 19 Oct 2011 at 00:03.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 00:03 (Ref:2973596)   #740
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
Ridiculous news would be this, I am unable to believe that Hyundai would never be coming to Le Mans.

I can see it. Hyundai is changing their reputation faster than the Japanese manufacturers did in the '80's and '90s. Plus the Genesis is a pretty slick little car. Why not?
Old 19 Oct 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2974071)   #741
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I can see it. Hyundai is changing their reputation faster than the Japanese manufacturers did in the '80's and '90s. Plus the Genesis is a pretty slick little car. Why not?
Its not a factory effort but it looks like someone else can see that the product has potential.

www.austechmotorsport.com
Old 20 Oct 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2974170)   #742
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
That doesn't look very serious. It seems they are developing BOTH GT2 and GTE versions *facepalm*
Old 20 Oct 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2974251)   #743
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Which was the other manufacturer (other than Toyota) Mike spotted looking at his site. Was that not Hyundai? Can't remember...
Old 20 Oct 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2974261)   #744
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Yes, it was Hyundai. See http://www.mulsannescorner.com/RCELeMans2011.html
Old 20 Oct 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2974265)   #745
deggis
Veteran

Finland
edit: posted the same thing
Old 20 Oct 2011, 12:09 (Ref:2974274)   #746
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
You are certainly well-informed, but I really do not want to believe even if the stuff was that Hyundai would be coming. If you Hyundai decide to become, so the driver rumor would certainly be Ho-Pin Tung, Cheng Congfu and Jiang Tengyi.
Old 20 Oct 2011, 20:39 (Ref:2974477)   #747
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
That doesn't look very serious. It seems they are developing BOTH GT2 and GTE versions *facepalm*
GTE and GT2 are based on the same rules so one car would suit both. Its (primarily) only the homologation that is different but now that LeMans is part of the FIA WEC I would expect them to use FIA rules. Wouldnt you?
Old 20 Oct 2011, 22:48 (Ref:2974527)   #748
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post
GTE and GT2 are based on the same rules so one car would suit both. Its (primarily) only the homologation that is different but now that LeMans is part of the FIA WEC I would expect them to use FIA rules. Wouldnt you?
I think you misunderstood his post .

Also, ACO is in 100% control of the rules and homologation in Le Mans and WEC, FIA has no control here.
Old 20 Oct 2011, 23:07 (Ref:2974530)   #749
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as Hyundai goes they put some money into Rhys Millen's pikes peak car but I don't see them as a prototype or a GT manufacturer, I just don't think they have the intrest. Is Jaguar no longer thinking of a return with an LMP car, has that fallen off the radar. Nissan I would think as the most likely seeing how Signatech is coming back with two cars but I know they are not a "factory" effort.

No manufacturer in the states seems to have any interest in a prototype effort - even though I wish that wasn't true... That is unless its a Grand Am prototurtle, or a Deltathing but lets not talk about them ok...

Last edited by Livininthinair; 20 Oct 2011 at 23:24.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 00:07 (Ref:2974539)   #750
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
Is Jaguar no longer thinking of a return with an LMP car, has that fallen off the radar.
Nothing after this.