Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Sep 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2536477)   #26
alexhall
Racer

England
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
alexhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to check - I've still got about 7 days marshalling planned for the remainder of the season (having done 13 so far), can I add these onto the form, or should I wait until the end of the season to send the form? Is there a cut-off date?
Old 8 Sep 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2536511)   #27
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I usually write down what I've done to date provided it's 12 or more. Then I write (X more races to follow). I get the form in fast but that's just a habit and I would think that, as long as you get them in before the deadline, it doesn't make a ha'penny worth of difference.
There is a cut off date. I quote:
Please ensure that if you wish to volunteer for the 2010 British Grand Prix that you send your completed Record Form to me by no later than Friday 13th November 2009.

(http://www.marshals.co.uk/national/b...hairman/30.htm)

If you put in future races as if they were done then:
1. They might get the wrong idea.
2. You cannot guarantee you will go to those races due to unforeseen circumstances.

If your question is: Do more races on the sheet increase your chances of being selected I would say it may be a factor when lots of others have also been addressed. "No-one knows 'cept them that knows", as the saying goes.
Phil
Old 8 Sep 2009, 12:06 (Ref:2536513)   #28
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Alex

Im guessing you will be applying through DDMC like us guys

Normally they ask for the forms at the end of october, which is what im aiming for as i have brands hatch to do otherwise im scraping 13 days without it
Old 8 Sep 2009, 12:35 (Ref:2536530)   #29
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have been upgraded or have completed the requirements for an upgrade and are awaiting the confirmation and badge - then that is the grade you should mark on your form.

The 12 days are ones completed up to the date of sending in the form and should be for the duty for which you are applying. Any extra days are taken into account in the final review sessions by the MSA selection committee.

ALL forms need to be in before Mid November regardless of which club you belong to - because that is the MSA cut off date.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 15:46 (Ref:2536616)   #30
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the clarification Chris.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 17:49 (Ref:2536659)   #31
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sent my form off with sufficient days completed to date. At least it's done and I don't have to remember to send it at the end of the month.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2537966)   #32
Tazman
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
Tazman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all

Just filling out my form now and I'm a little confused by the Status of Event column. Presumably Int is for international events like the A1GP, but what's the distinction between Nat A/B?
Old 10 Sep 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2537974)   #33
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It might be worth searching for last year's thread...but to start...(and apologies for those I miss)

International: BGT, F3, A1GP, BTCC, WTCC, DTM, LMS, WSR,

National B: pretty well everything else these days including Britcar, GT Cup, Lotus on Track, Ginetta. I can't off the top of my head think of anything that is Nat A but I'm sure there are some - Formula Renault perhaps?

You can check it by looking at the section of the programme where the officials are named, that will also state the permit type. You may well find a mix so a meeting will have an international permit and a national B permit. I'd just show the higher level.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 20:47 (Ref:2538053)   #34
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Bodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this is right if I've done 12 days marshalling this year I can do the British GP next yr. Just seem's a bit to soon to me. I've done eight days so far and got the LMS this weekend. Then I may do a couple of more before the season is out. I'm doing a training course on the 25th October so I don't know when I can upgrade to the next grade. Can someone confirm this for me please. When is the closing date for Grandprix?. This is also my 1st season.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2538056)   #35
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Bodger

Pretty sure you need 2 training days plus AT LEAST 10 days before you can upgrade. Closing date for GP is mid November, I think.

I think I can speak for everyone on here when I say don't rush your upgrade just to get to the GP, or any other reason. I'm hoping to do my upgrade assessment at the LMS after 30 days of marshalling, which I think is more realistic than the required minimum of 10.

Maybe see you at LMS

Steve
Old 10 Sep 2009, 21:28 (Ref:2538073)   #36
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Bodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi steve, yeah I don't want to take on too much to quickley. Would prefer to give it at least one more season before I did the GP, would be nice though. I was going to camp this weekend but decided not too. I don't have far to travel as I live in Bicester. My name is Paul Torunski if you wonder......at least if you see that name then you will know who I am if you see me this weekend, lol.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 15:38 (Ref:2538569)   #37
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I done the GP in 2007 and enjoyed it but remember doing it is not the most important thing, it's one of those meetings i think every marshal should do you meet some great people form all over.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2538691)   #38
Tazman
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
Tazman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers for that Piglet, now digging thru programs . Incedentally Trucks are Nat A

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
Pretty sure you need 2 training days plus AT LEAST 10 days before you can upgrade.
Steve
You only need 1 training day to upgrade from trainee. I got my grading last weekend with a good 20 days under my belt, personally I wouldn't want any less.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 13:14 (Ref:2539020)   #39
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone got a direct link to the form?

Both links on the site are now linking to the same Guidelines PDF?
http://www.marshals.co.uk/resources/52965493352.pdf

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 12 Sep 2009, 14:12 (Ref:2539047)   #40
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodger View Post
If this is right if I've done 12 days marshalling this year I can do the British GP next yr.
Don't forget you would only be volunteering for the GP at this stage. It is down to the selection committee whether you are selected and invited to attend.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2539444)   #41
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OOPS!

Slight entry error - hopefully you will find the links on the BMMC website are now correct.

Our apologies
Old 17 Sep 2009, 18:06 (Ref:2542947)   #42
Miss Pebbles
Another Little Teapot
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Miss Pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
Cheers for that Piglet, now digging thru programs . Incedentally Trucks are Nat A
I learnt after completing my first GP form. Now write down all the events I do and the status (from the programme) so I have an easy reference for when it comes to this time. Pretty sad I know, but it works
Old 17 Sep 2009, 18:44 (Ref:2542967)   #43
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pebbles View Post
I learnt after completing my first GP form. Now write down all the events I do and the status (from the programme) so I have an easy reference for when it comes to this time. Pretty sad I know, but it works
I have it on a spread sheet at work. It's my only highlight on a Monday morning filling in where I'd been marshalling the previous few days!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 18 Sep 2009, 07:59 (Ref:2543263)   #44
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Do non-UK events count? We're BMMC members, but don't get to do a lot of UK days over the course of the year.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 09:44 (Ref:2543308)   #45
Piglet
Veteran

I would think so EP, we have a couple of Belgian pit marshals who don't do any other uk stuff. Prob worth talking to the chief if you are concerned.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 10:23 (Ref:2543319)   #46
Matt_Ring
Rookie

United Kingdom
Epsom
Matt_Ring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the basis that there are no training days until Jan I will have to wait until 2011.

Annoying as all I need to do for upgrade is a training day.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2543358)   #47
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Answered my own question now by reading the thread properly!

Last edited by dazbaz_99; 18 Sep 2009 at 12:25. Reason: Friday afternoon stupidity
Old 19 Sep 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2544038)   #48
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
Hi Bodger

Pretty sure you need 2 training days plus AT LEAST 10 days before you can upgrade. Closing date for GP is mid November, I think.

I think I can speak for everyone on here when I say don't rush your upgrade just to get to the GP, or any other reason. I'm hoping to do my upgrade assessment at the LMS after 30 days of marshalling, which I think is more realistic than the required minimum of 10.

Maybe see you at LMS

Steve

YES. I quite agree, it is NOT a race just to upgrade, I am sure there will be many more British Grand Prix. So if you miss this one, dont worry. By the time you get to apply for the next one you will have more experience and be a better marshal.
Old 20 Sep 2009, 13:52 (Ref:2544313)   #49
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And don't forget you need an assessment after you have the required signatures
Old 25 Sep 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2548301)   #50
focuszetec
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
focuszetec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know what the Dunlop Great and British Event at Brands Hatch was classed as Nat A or Nat B?