Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Dec 2009, 00:57 (Ref:2598722)   #1
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Veggie How Homebush Was Reported/Secured... (merged x2)

here...

Quote:
Barnsey, not burnt rubber, saved the day at Homebush

Quote:
On Monday, the toadies of News Ltd went into hyperdrive. Ignoring the basics of numeracy and suggesting there were 184,856 ''payers'' at Homebush. The tax department will love that one.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 13 Dec 2009, 02:00 (Ref:2598743)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
So.. why didnt Mr McKay put his name to it??

Is he still grumpy at not getting a ticket in the corporate box? There was a spare next to me all weekend he could have had...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Dec 2009, 02:25 (Ref:2598751)   #3
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So.. why didnt Mr McKay put his name to it??

Is he still grumpy at not getting a ticket in the corporate box? There was a spare next to me all weekend he could have had...
Thought the exact same thing...maybe he is on holidays and that is his ghost writer...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 13 Dec 2009, 02:41 (Ref:2598753)   #4
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So.. why didnt Mr McKay put his name to it?
In the printed version of the Sun Herald he did.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 03:40 (Ref:2598758)   #5
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expected sour grapes

Quote:
Thought the exact same thing...maybe he is on holidays and that is his ghost writer...
That ghost writers initials wouldn't be DRT by any chance would they...?
Old 13 Dec 2009, 03:44 (Ref:2598760)   #6
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Two months ago, at Mount Panorama, we saw proper full-tilt motor racing on the best circuit in the country. But Homebush, like most street layouts, is a scrappy compromise.
Two bad Mckay's reasoning powers are deteriorating. They were never that great anyway, BUT Mount Panorama IS and WAS a street circuit.
Quote:
That ghost writers initials wouldn't be DRT by any chance would they...?
I have been wondering if they are one and the same.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 03:51 (Ref:2598762)   #7
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I simply cannot believe such a piece of biased trash was published and some moron got paid for it.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 03:53 (Ref:2598763)   #8
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
I simply cannot believe such a piece of biased trash was published and some moron got paid for it
For a so called "journalist" that is absolutely appalling. He should be accountable for the AJA for such stupid gibberish.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 04:05 (Ref:2598765)   #9
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
interesting...

Quote:
The Sydney Morning Herald code of ethics
Quote:
HONESTY
Herald staff will report and interpret honestly, striving for accuracy, fairness and disclosure of all essential facts. They will not suppress or distort relevant facts. They will do their utmost to offer the right of reply, and they will separate comment from news.

IMPARTIALITY
Staff will not allow personal interest, or any belief or commitment, to undermine their accuracy, fairness or independence.

FAIRNESS
Staff will use fair, honest and responsible means to obtain material. They will identify themselves and the newspaper before obtaining interviews or images.

Old 13 Dec 2009, 04:36 (Ref:2598768)   #10
Robert Ryan
Veteran

I sent a letter to Media Watch regarding the article. It is not just V8Supercars, but it is Rugby League, NASCAR and the IRL all have had a some of his irrational vitriol.
As a journalist he fails miserably on his impartiality.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 05:13 (Ref:2598777)   #11
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess Homebush needed someone to give a counter journalistic report to the equally biased reporting the Tele has been offering up. IMHO, the Tele's 'reporting' on the Telstra 500 failed the impartiality test more miserably than the Herald's did.

Read the "irrational vitriol" after you read the dribbling and fawning and inaccuracies of the Tele - and draw a line somewhere between the two, and you'll have a reasonable idea of how TC's Big Day Out actually went.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 05:17 (Ref:2598778)   #12
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Read the "irrational vitriol" after you read the dribbling and fawning and inaccuracies of the Tele - and draw a line somewhere between the two, and you'll have a reasonable idea of how TC's Big Day Out actually went.
I know people who know him. Irrational vitriol sums it up. Besides two wrongs do not make a right. I think everyone on this board expects a much higher standard from a paid journalist. What he wrote is dreadful.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 08:57 (Ref:2598813)   #13
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Does that include me? You'll have to tell us which part of that article you think would interest Media Watch. While you're at it, please tell us what makes Mount Panorama a 'street circuit'. Like, where are the streets? Mount Panorama is a road circuit, and one of the best in the world. Homebush is errr... neither of those.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 09:30 (Ref:2598820)   #14
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I had to lol at your quotes. Honesty, thats a good one.
Anyone with half a brain would know the truth doesn't sell papers, sensationalism does.

Quote:
HONESTY
Herald staff will report and interpret honestly, striving for accuracy, fairness and disclosure of all essential facts. They will not suppress or distort relevant facts.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2598830)   #15
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Does that include me? You'll have to tell us which part of that article you think would interest Media Watch. While you're at it, please tell us what makes Mount Panorama a 'street circuit'. Like, where are the streets? Mount Panorama is a road circuit, and one of the best in the world. Homebush is errr... neither of those.
What planet are you living on? Mount Panorama was an is a access road to the Mount Panorama lookout. It was never designed as a roadcourse . It is a street when it not used as a track for the Bathurst races.
Quote:
Does that include me? You'll have to tell us which part of that article you think would interest Media Watch.
Most of the drivel he produced. Unless the only reason you maybe concerned you are him or have dealings with him.
Quote:
HONESTY
Herald staff will report and interpret honestly, striving for accuracy, fairness and disclosure of all essential facts. They will not suppress or distort relevant facts.
Surely after todays effort , his use by date cannot be far away.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2598839)   #16
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Surely after todays effort , his use by date cannot be far away.
No, that would get him a promotion. Like any media source is going to openly admit they make **** up to sell papers, they have to have this 'code of ethics' so people who can't think for themselves take everything they say as fact.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2598846)   #17
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Media Watch, if interested at all, would have no problem with any journalist offering a counter point of view to the adoring free promotion of the Tele. It'd be more likely to find fault with those who just accept the Cochrane gospel and media releases and then quote them like some free advertising, than someone who dares to be critical.

If you can't discern the difference between 'street circuits', and the road-racing circuit (that was constructed for motor-racing) that is Bathurst, maybe you're the one wondering what planet to inhabit - but don't worry about the cheap insults. They don't work on me.

Back to Peter McKay: Peter McKay (not me) is a respected motoring and motorsport journalist who doesn't grovel and lap up the largesse (with strings attached) that TC throws at those journalists who like being wined and dined for favourable press in return. Yes, Peter is negative towards the circus that is VESA, but we'd have better motorsport (with less circuses and rock bands) if a few more offered up some criticism and doubted some of the ridiculous figures that Tony expects the masses to believe.

Let's agree to disagree.

Last edited by Aarrgh8; 13 Dec 2009 at 11:03.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2598861)   #18
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8 View Post
If you can't discern the difference between 'street circuits', and the road-racing circuit (that was constructed for motor-racing) that is Bathurst, maybe you're the one wondering what planet to inhabit - but don't worry about the cheap insults. They don't work on me.
There are 2 types of track, street tracks, and permanent circuits. Road course could just be called the american 'slang' for street track.

Or are you just going on the point its called mount panorama scenic ROAD?
Old 13 Dec 2009, 11:40 (Ref:2598863)   #19
Aarrgh8
Veteran

It's a tired old argument, and I think the best thing is to say what I said to Robert Ryan: Let's agree to disagree.

OTOH, anyone who thinks that thing around the streets of Homebush Bay and Mount Panorama are in the same category of motor-racing circuits is the one having trouble with definitions of motor racing circuits. Those who can only find two categories of motor racing circuits should get out more.

Nurburgring and Homebush Bay - same kind of track.

Spa-Francorchamps and Hamilton - same kind of track.

Silly discussion, isn't it?
Old 13 Dec 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2598867)   #20
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
It's a tired old argument, and I think the best thing is to say what I said to Robert Ryan: Let's agree to disagree.

OTOH, anyone who thinks that thing around the streets of Homebush Bay and Mount Panorama are in the same category of motor-racing circuits is the one having trouble with definitions of motor racing circuits.
They are both public roads 51 weekends a year (give or take, since bathurst is used a few other times a year), and a 'street circuit' for 1. One just happens to be in the most populated city, the other in a country town
Old 13 Dec 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2598873)   #21
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Oh, so they're the same kind of track. Thanks for straightening me out. I hope I don't get them mixed up in the future seeing they're so alike. Both street circuits. Uh huh.

The Tata Nano and Bugatti Veyron are both cars, too - unless you can see room to categorise them a bit. Life's too short to try and make Homebush and Mount Panorama into the same category of race circuit. If you can't tell the difference, let's just move on.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2598875)   #22
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Oh, so they're the same kind of track. Thanks for straightening me out. I hope I don't get them mixed up in the future seeing they're so alike. Both street circuits. Uh huh.
Yes? What else would they be? Street circuit is a circuit made out of public roads.....

I can go and drive a look of bathurst tomorrow, likewise Homebush, but i couldn't at EC.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2598877)   #23
Aarrgh8
Veteran

I've moved on - leaving you with your motor racing circuit categories of two. Nurburgring, Spa Francorchamps, Le Mans, Isle of Man, Mount Panorama, and going back a bit, Mille Miglia and Targa Florio aaand... Homebush all being in the one category and same kind of circuit.

'Tata' for now.

Last edited by Aarrgh8; 13 Dec 2009 at 12:12.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2598880)   #24
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Mount Panorama was an is a access road to the Mount Panorama lookout. It was never designed as a roadcourse.
This is not entirely correct.
Motorcycles had been racing at Bathurst every Easter on the Vales circuit from 1931-1937 and had become extremely popular, drawing large crowds. But as the Vales circuit was composed partly of main roads into and out of Bathurst, by 1937 the road closures had become too inconvenient for the event to continue on that circuit. However the Bathurst Council did not want to lose the event as it brought a lot of money into the town each year. The Mayor of Bathurst, Martin Griffin (a familiar name) who was a keen bike racing fan, concocted a plan and lobbied the federal government to provide funds to build a "scenic drive" over what was then known as Bald Hill. He argued the economic advantages of building the road as increased local employment in the construction itself and the influx of tourists the road and new lookout would attract. Until the funding was approved and received, the council were extremely careful to make no mention whatsoever of the true purpose of the road which was to be the replacement of the Vales circuit and the new home of the Easter races. Work on the road was well underway when the last Vales meeting was run in 1937 and completed, although unsealed, in time for it's debut meeting at Easter 1938. Just prior to the meeting Bald Hill was renamed as Mount Panorama. The inaugural meeting also saw cars race for the first time on the Easter Monday.

So it was actually designed as a road course, although not officially, and ironically was built using government money. Some things don't change.
Old 13 Dec 2009, 12:23 (Ref:2598883)   #25
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....

Not buying into any silly arguments here as it only drags the forum down but there are a lot of straight out misrepresentations in that feature/story.

For a start has he never heard of the GST.

It's all just rubbish cliques that the V8 knockers/haters/deniers drag out all the time.

If that came from the Murdoch press it wouldn't bother me but you do expect a higher standard from your 'normal' press sources.

Last edited by retro; 13 Dec 2009 at 12:32.