Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 29 Aug 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2947714)   #1
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Britcar24 2011

http://www.britcar24hr.co.uk/cms/news.php?item.1144

it's come around so quick again, so who is out to play for the 24.
above is a link to the provisional list which stands at 68 cars at present.
or if this is your first time out for this meeting, feel free to ask any queries you have, no doubt the answer will be out there somewhere.
as per usual, this is one of my highlights of the year, can't beat 3 days of sleep deprivation whilst being sober on a Saturday night and waking up to cars racing at silly 'o' clock....sweet
Old 29 Aug 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2947748)   #2
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
always a great meeting, will be in the pits as usual
Old 29 Aug 2011, 16:35 (Ref:2947779)   #3
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give me a break, I only just got back from Snetterton yesterday evening...

11 hours sleep last night... that's 11 more than I got on Saturday night!
Old 29 Aug 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2947839)   #4
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im down for this one, really looking forward to it being the first time I've done it!

Doing saturday/sunday, hopeing to come down friday and watch for a little while.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2947863)   #5
stephen0183
Rookie

England
Nottinghamshire
stephen0183 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is the best person to get in contact with to let them know the times I can and can't marshal during the weekend? Would like to do a little bit of flagging, so Penny probably won't be the best bet, unless someone says otherwise!

Will try to be there for the Friday evening session, but can't do Saturday morning/early afternoon.
Ta
Old 29 Aug 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2947878)   #6
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen0183 View Post
Who is the best person to get in contact with to let them know the times I can and can't marshal during the weekend? Would like to do a little bit of flagging, so Penny probably won't be the best bet, unless someone says otherwise!

Will try to be there for the Friday evening session, but can't do Saturday morning/early afternoon.
Ta
you have a pm
Old 29 Aug 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2947879)   #7
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd suggest contact Roy Salsbury (BRSCC Midlands Chief Marshal).

Contact details:

http://www.brscc.co.uk/midlands-centre.html
Old 29 Aug 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2947885)   #8
simon_blay
Racer

simon_blay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Evening,

I'm considering marshaling for the weekend of the 24hr Britcar. Only done 3 events so far, all at my local circuit, will I be able to attend given I'm not a member of any club?

Cheers
Old 29 Aug 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2947893)   #9
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_blay View Post
Evening,

I'm considering marshaling for the weekend of the 24hr Britcar. Only done 3 events so far, all at my local circuit, will I be able to attend given I'm not a member of any club?

Cheers
Of course, the more the merrier.

The main reason for belonging to a club is for help with the upgrading process. You don't ever have to belong to the club organising the event (or indeed any club) to marshal any event.

Personally, I don't do sleep deprivation and I'm not that keen on endurance events... but I love the Britcar 24-hour and have done all so far.

Anyone considering this event... even if you can just do one shift, it all helps. I remember one year, racegypsy and one of our foreign friends (blueflagger or racerkeke) did the Saturday at Rockingham, came to Silverstone for an evening shift then back to Rockingham for the Sunday.

simon, just let chief marshal know your experience (Penny for incident or Roy, as above, for flags) and they will place you as appropriate.

PJ
Old 29 Aug 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2947904)   #10
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Ta

as suggested, contact the chief marshal.
also, when you turn up on post, inform the post chief or i/o of the times you are available over the weekend.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 20:57 (Ref:2947941)   #11
Matt Hunter
Racer

England
Exmouth
Matt Hunter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been to this race soooo many times now. Absolutely love it! First time marshalling it. I'm doing Friday and Sat with my better half braving all three days. What with this and the ILMC it's a proper enduro end to the year. Can't wait. Hope the MJC Ferrari and Jet Alliance Porsche will be back to do battle once more

EDIT: Just seen the entry list, yay!!!
And Chevron are back too. Hope they make more than a few corbers this time. It's a beauty of a car.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 12:41 (Ref:2948283)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm down for this one. I was supposed to do last year but MRs Woolley was unwell so I didn't get there until 5:30 on Sunday and ruined everyone's night by arriving awake and excitable when they were all comatose and wanting quiet!

Hopefully this year I'll be able to manage the full experience because I loved the half a race I did see.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 12:53 (Ref:2948293)   #13
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there Saturday & Sunday as usual; I might make the Friday evening but I'm not sure yet.

Gerry
Old 30 Aug 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2948301)   #14
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Will be there Sat /sun unable to do Friday...
Old 30 Aug 2011, 13:16 (Ref:2948304)   #15
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will be there and I will be better organised this year, as I've already booked the hotel for Friday and Sunday nights.
Hope the Honda Jazz wins this year.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2948439)   #16
vulcan607
Rookie

vulcan607 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I'm spectating this year id like to try this out next year, i was wondering though, whats the drill with marshaling 24hrs? is it so many hours on and then some off ?
Old 30 Aug 2011, 18:08 (Ref:2948452)   #17
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan607 View Post
Although I'm spectating this year id like to try this out next year, i was wondering though, whats the drill with marshaling 24hrs? is it so many hours on and then some off ?
Correct - but how many on and how many off does rather depend on how many marshals are there in the first place . It's quite a popular meeting now but I do remember doing solo flags / observer for 13 hours overnight on the first one!
Old 30 Aug 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2948603)   #18
PieMan
Seigneur des pâtés en croûte
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
PieMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to everybody who's contributed so far for kicking off this thread. I'm attending a meeting tomorrow evening to go through some of the details so hope to be able to pass on more information soon.

As usual I'll be doing the allocation for flags & observers and anybody else on the BRSCC list so feel free to get in touch (the Scots already have) but you still need to volunteer through the usual channels to make sure you get your passes.

This is a special event so I'll take as much account as possible of availability constraints and preferences for location and who you want to be with - the more people there are the easier this becomes! I'll also try and cross reference with the incident allocation but, for those not familiar with Silverstone, don't forget that the flag posts and incident marshal locations aren't always very close to each other.

This will be the first year on the Arena layout but I hope to adopt the same strategy as in 2008 & 2010 and, for most of the circuit, allocate groups to cover two or three adjacent flag points. Not all points operate during the hours of darkness so this gives you some flexibility for breaks and to rotate around those points. We leave you free to work out what suits you amongst yourselves, rather than imposing a timetable.

As has already been mentioned, don't worry if you can't make if for the whole weekend. If you can only do Friday then there are usually a couple of races to make it worth you while or if you can't get to the circuit until the afternoon then there's the evening practice. Saturday day-time only people are welcome too for the support events if long distance and or night racing aren't your thing. Even if you can't make it until Sunday then do still come and give the people who've been busy in the night a chance to have a decent break before the finish and journey home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate93 View Post
Im down for this one, really looking forward to it being the first time I've done it!

Doing saturday/sunday, hopeing to come down friday and watch for a little while.
Please join in for the Friday evening practice if you can. Go to race control to sign on and get your allocation. I see you're at the Le Mans meeting too so feel free to catch up with me for chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryc View Post
I do remember doing solo flags / observer for 13 hours overnight on the first one!
We've moved on from that now Gerry but it made you the man you are today!
Old 30 Aug 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2948612)   #19
socko
Rookie

England
socko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that pieman i was thinking about signing but didnt know how the 24 hour thing worked,after reading your usefull info i will get onto it in the morning and sign up
Old 31 Aug 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2948804)   #20
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieMan View Post
We've moved on from that now Gerry but it made you the man you are today!
So that's what did it! I thought it was the mis-spent youth, with all that wine, women, song and debauchery (we can dream can't we?)
Old 31 Aug 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2948814)   #21
socko
Rookie

England
socko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive signed up for Sunday but can make it from late afternoon on Saturday and go through till Sunday finish,can i do this if so do i just turn up and sign on or do i need to sign for Saturday too?
Old 31 Aug 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2948881)   #22
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by socko View Post
Ive signed up for Sunday but can make it from late afternoon on Saturday and go through till Sunday finish,can i do this if so do i just turn up and sign on or do i need to sign for Saturday too?
I am sure you can just turn whenever, go to race control to sign on and be told where to go (in the nicest possible way!)
Old 31 Aug 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2948888)   #23
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The more the merrier. From memory of last year (dim and distant), one signature covered both days.

It's certainly a good experience to try out at least once. I found the sense of achievement at the end of the race was enormous - and all the more satisfying for sharing it with the drivers and their teams.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2948929)   #24
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
The more the merrier. From memory of last year (dim and distant), one signature covered both days.

It's certainly a good experience to try out at least once. I found the sense of achievement at the end of the race was enormous - and all the more satisfying for sharing it with the drivers and their teams.
always love finsih on the sunday, grab beers and straight to the podium and pitlane, always a good crack
Old 31 Aug 2011, 16:42 (Ref:2948933)   #25
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We are due to be there (staying in a B&B) but, while Bill will be working (deputy chief flag?), it all depends on how PieLady is feeling as to what she does or does not do!!! She certainly hopes to be there, if only for moral support!