Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

View Poll Results: Will the Premier 1 GP series go ahead?
Yes 16 84.21%
No 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Oct 2001, 19:17 (Ref:161579)   #1
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Premier GP Signs Chassis Deal

Perhaps they are serious after all - Premier 1 GP has signed a chassis development deal with Reynard to build the cars (50 chassis in total) for the proposed series.

The cars will feature ground effect aerodynamics and electronic gearshifts - but that is all in the way of high tech.

The engines are highly likely to be built by Judd 4 litre v10s producing 750 bhp.

I have been very sceptical about this series going ahead, and whilst I don't doubt there are probably more get out clauses in this new contract than there are brown rocky areas in Afghanistan, it does at least show some seriousness of intent?

What do you think about whether the series will go ahead or not?
Old 16 Oct 2001, 20:13 (Ref:161602)   #2
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it will go ahead without a doubt. How long it lasts is another matter.
Old 16 Oct 2001, 20:16 (Ref:161604)   #3
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW - I don't think it's supposed to be a junior formulae!
Old 16 Oct 2001, 20:54 (Ref:161639)   #4
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ahh, but we can take care of it here for a while

I know some questions have been asked about giving it a forum of its own, but currently there wouldn't be the traffic to support it. Think of this as an "other Formula Racing" section and it fits just fine...
Old 17 Oct 2001, 11:48 (Ref:161913)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm, I don't think it will work. It's being launched when other series are struggling for sponsorship and survival (TOCA for example), and we are also moving into a global recession which is likely to last for another three years (Sorry, don't mean to sound too pesimistic).

The last time we had a recession Brands Hatch tried to launch Formula Forward, Formula First and some other nondescript formula. With the exception of Formula First, all others failed.

Given the high cost of this proposed formula, I just can't see it working and think it will go the way of Interactive Sports Cars this year. Sorry!

Stephen.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 14:47 (Ref:161986)   #6
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with Stephen. This is not going to survive in an economy where even Michael Andretti has problems raising money. The whole world is in a bad economic situation, and this is not the best time for a now series to launch.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 20:41 (Ref:162230)   #7
Rempie
Racer

Rempie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think you guys understand the concept: the series will have a few fixed sponsors (= for all teams) and team-sponsors wich will be mainly brought in by the associated soccer team.

The cost is VERY low compared to F1, and there's only 1 car/team to sponsor... The only reason why they involved soccer is because they wouldn't have to worry about budgets that way! Besides, the economy is relativily 'slowing' down for a second, but has improved greatly compared to 10 years ago.. It's all how you look at it.

Just give it a chance, they've thought more about the concept than you may think. Besides, the slicks and loss of electronical systems may show us some real good racing (perhaps by great, talented drivers who don't have big budgets).

Pedro Lamy and Bas Leinders sound VERY good to me.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 21:14 (Ref:162248)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Rempie, even top name soccer clubs have to worry about sponsorship deals. I beg to differ with you over the recession which I think will last a lot longer than you think, and if the war in the Middle East goes on for a long time, as many think it will, then matters are made worse.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it's a great success, but in reality I don't think it will ever get off the ground. If it were such a great thing I would have thought more than two clubs would have committed to the series already. From day one it's not looked like a serious runner to me, sorry mate.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 22:11 (Ref:162279)   #9
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It must be a huge thing to start from scratch...but they seems to be on the good path...lets see how they do in June 2002
Old 18 Oct 2001, 08:53 (Ref:162388)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
My guess would be that if no other teams have signed a firm committment by early 2002, then the series will be scrapped. They won't want to get chassis and engines built before having orders in place.
Old 19 Oct 2001, 17:34 (Ref:163013)   #11
Rempie
Racer

The contracts with the soccer teams were fixed months ago, just wait and see.. They'll announce it soon, but not too early and not all at the same time to keep the media attention alive.
Old 19 Oct 2001, 17:40 (Ref:163017)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Rempie I really do hope you are right. As I said before I'm not against it and would like to see F1 type cars at other UK circuits. Let's keep our fingers crossed in that case!
Old 20 Oct 2001, 13:39 (Ref:163249)   #13
Rempie
Racer

Well, all I know is that Anderlecht (Belgium) and a Dutch soccer club (I believe it was Feyenoord) were reported to have signed a contract months ago, and the press said that the remaining contracts with other clubs in europe/world were being finalised and signed...

They're just not officially launching it yet, wich is a logical commercial decision.
Old 6 Nov 2001, 10:03 (Ref:170669)   #14
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rempie
They're just not officially launching it yet, wich is a logical commercial decision.
I think they are getting there act together and there is nothing wrong with building up a bit of momentum with press launches.

I hear the cars will be fat slick tyres with a lot of aero including full Ground Effect and nearer 850 bhp.

add to that very very strict technical control including a squad that has 24/7 access to the chassis at all time and some inovative rule changes then this could really be the Drivers series we have all been waiting for!!
Old 6 Nov 2001, 10:15 (Ref:170674)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Maybe, maybe, but I'm still sceptical about it ever getting off the ground I'm afraid. To me they need to have other teams signed up already and then to usse the time between now and the first race to really hype the series. At the moment it's probably getting more negative publicity than positive, not a good thing when you are trying to sell a product.
Old 6 Nov 2001, 10:28 (Ref:170682)   #16
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Maybe, maybe, but I'm still sceptical about it ever getting off the ground I'm afraid. To me they need to have other teams signed up already and then to usse the time between now and the first race to really hype the series. At the moment it's probably getting more negative publicity than positive, not a good thing when you are trying to sell a product.
My understanding is that they have all the teams signed up and are staging the annoucements to build up momentum remember the first race is not slated until July.

Once testing starts in April time and Bernie's mates stop muddying the water I honnestly feel that this could be a good series.

It would make sense to get a flood of annoucements between now an early Jan (in time for the Autosport Show)

If what is reaching me down the grapevine is only 50% true regarding some the revolutionary sporting rules then I for one will watch.
Old 6 Nov 2001, 10:50 (Ref:170696)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I really do hope you are right as they certainly have the potential to rival Formula 1. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the promises turn into reality. History tells us that words are cheap, it's when you have to part with your hard earnt cash that people start to falter. Let's hope it goes ahead, I would love to see and hear them too!