Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 7 Aug 2003, 19:13 (Ref:682190)   #1
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rally Paint

Boring day so I was bumming around the subaru rally site ( www.swrt.com if your interested) and I found an interesting tech article

Quote:
The team's rally cars are painted using complete Standox paint system, which includes primers, fillers, colour coats and high-gloss clear lacquers. The pearlescent blue of the Subaru rally cars, unique to the 555 Subaru team, is developed and manufactured in one of the world's most advanced production facilities in Wuppertal, Germany

The bare metal body shell is sprayed with an etch primer and filler coat before the outside is painted with the colour coat and finished with a high-gloss clear lacquer. The colour coat is applied sparingly on the inside, and no lacquer is used in order to keep the weight down to a minimum. The inside of the roof is painted white to minimise heat absorption, and lacquer is applied to the engine bay to help keep it clean. From start to finish it can take up to three people one week to paint the Impreza, while the road car requires two days of work

Weight is an important consideration on the WRC car. The primer, base-coat and lacquer used on each Subaru Impreza WRC2003 adds approximately 10kgs to the overall weight. After each event, the shells are stripped before being repainted to ensure there's no paint build-up and consequent weight disadvantage

The paint materials used for the Subaru Impreza WRC are lightweight. The 18 litres of materials used per car, weighs just under 10kg, while in contrast the 5 litres of paint used for the road car, weighs 5kg. More paint is required for the rally car as it's applied to both the exterior and interior, there's no metal exposed on the inside of the road car so less paint is required

Presentation has always been of paramount importance to the 555 Subaru team. Their cars were the first to use a custom-metallic paint in 1997 and over the years, the team has constantly amended the colour to ensure that the cars continue to look good on film. There have been several slight colour changes, notably the change to metallic in 1997, and a new blue for 2001 when the four-door car was launched. The yellow graphics were changed to fluorescent yellow in 1997, as it appeared far more striking on television
I highlitghted the interesting parts...enjoy
Old 10 Aug 2003, 14:40 (Ref:684251)   #2
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks avsfan, I had never thought about that, although that article was interesting. Did anyone notice the change for 2001? Am I right in thinking it went slightly darker?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 20 Aug 2003, 10:53 (Ref:693052)   #3
perminder
Racer

United Kingdom
in my house
perminder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats what u call attention to detail
Old 30 Aug 2003, 22:41 (Ref:703681)   #4
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My dad has a body shop and we use all the stuff above, nothing new in the crash repair industry, the Perlessant blue isent exactly unique either, its Dunkelblau mit perlfect on the honda colour scheme and its DunkelOceanblau on the Mitsubishi scheme, anyone wants screenshots of our mixing computer with the forulation on it just pass on a an e-mail and its all yours

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..