Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 29 Jan 2004, 16:37 (Ref:855304)   #1
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Attending IRL races?

So, irrespective of what was going to happen in 2004, the IRL say they're adding a couple of road races in 2005, right? Well, I've no interest in ovals, but I might be interested in attending a road race There don't seem to be many people on here that actually get to races (not meant as a dig at attendances!), but there must be some... So how do they compare to CART? Is it basically the same arrangements? I'm wondering about things like:

Average ticket prices?
Are there autograph sessions?
How approachable are the drivers/people? (if that's not a dumb question...)
What sort of things do you typically get to see in the paddock? At a CART race, I got to chat to mechanics and watch them dismantling their cars. Same with scrutineers. Drivers walking about, etc.

Any experiences welcome...
Old 29 Jan 2004, 16:44 (Ref:855311)   #2
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to know what the engines sound like. If there's one thing I know, its that Champcars sound much different in person than on TV. I'd imagine an IRL car sounds a LOT different being Normally aspirated and all. Probably louder too, as a turbo also acts like a muffler.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 16:54 (Ref:855323)   #3
Testure
Veteran

Yeah, I was actually surprised at the sound of the CART turbos. Much quiter than I had expected, I assumed because of the change to the (super-reliable) Cosworth engine. IRL engines are changing this year too, though - interested to hear what attendees think...
Old 29 Jan 2004, 17:50 (Ref:855385)   #4
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Correct Testure, before the Cosworth only engines, CART was a lot louder, and higher pitched. I appreciate that Ford stepped up to the plate to supply engines when nobody else did, but now they really don't sound any more impressive than a Toyota Atlantic engine.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 17:53 (Ref:855389)   #5
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be going to my first IRL race at Nazareth Speedway, in August. Its a relatively close 2-1/2 hr. ride for me.

I'm actually curious also, and I don't know what to expect either. I go to the USGP at Indy every year, and I know that the IRL(or any series out there)has to be more open than that is! So this really should be a treat.

Ticket prices-$45 for reserved seat, $30 GA
Apparently the drivers and crews are very receptive to the crowd and there are autograph sessions.
They have a club called the Indy Crew, which appears to be a club that tailgates at the race, arranges to meet with drivers, has social gatherings, and things like that.
I believe there is a NASCAR Truck series race(don't care really) and the Infiniti Pro Series as support races.

As far as the sound, I don't know, but I can't wait to hear it!

Check it out for yourself at WWW.indyracing.com

Don't worry, I won't tell anyone your looking! SSSSHHHH...

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Jan 2004, 18:12 (Ref:855409)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love to visit an IndyCar race at some point, but living in Sweden makes it a little more difficult than just jumping in a car and drive to the track..
Old 29 Jan 2004, 18:15 (Ref:855413)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Living in Scotland myself, it's also hard to get to races. I'm just praying they come to Rockingham .....if only
Old 29 Jan 2004, 18:20 (Ref:855419)   #8
danieljboys
Racer

United Kingdom
Aldershot, Hampshire
danieljboys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I made the trip from little Old England to Indy last year and I had the time of my life. What a great atmosphere, the cars sounded fantastic (even when they bounced off the limiters) and at around £30-40 for each ticket in our party it has to be much better value than going to a Grand Prix. All grub and drink was reasonably priced as well. Don't think I can get there this year but I will definitely make the trek in 2005. It was well worth it.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 18:22 (Ref:855421)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rusty and Down Force, you are true fans!

Very cool Daniel! Glad you had a great time! You see, theres hope for you guys too, rusty and down force.

Last edited by GP Racer; 29 Jan 2004 at 18:25.

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Jan 2004, 18:24 (Ref:855425)   #10
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hehe, that we are GP

Someday, I'll go to Indy....one day I will.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 07:50 (Ref:856034)   #11
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With cart...all i can say is, on the thursday when they where ticking over the engines..man, you'd nearly need a new set of undies...

But yes, in direct comparrison to F1 (Last time i went was '97) CART cars are easier on the ears - you could *almost* go without earprotection but I wouldn't recomened it.

As for IRL - I'd like them to race at Charolette or Rockingham, they are the only Chances in hell that i'd have of getting to a race (Rellies @ Sawlies Plains...)
Old 30 Jan 2004, 11:56 (Ref:856270)   #12
Testure
Veteran

I didn't wear any ear protection when I was in Montreal, in fact I've been to concerts that are much louder. At F1 races I think you'd require protection if you were consistently within a dozen metres of the cars, otherwise not necessarily.

So, can anyone say how the IRL organises their paddocks, etc? Is it the same as CART or do you just see a bunch of motorhomes?
Old 30 Jan 2004, 14:57 (Ref:856471)   #13
B/Mark
Racer

B/Mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok so it seems that lots here have been unable to attend IRL races so let me enlighten - I went to 12 last year including INDY 500.
Driver access: This is not like F1, you get into the paddock very easily and the cars and teams are right there just like a FF club race meeting. The drivers can be a bit more difficult to find, usually in motorhomes, but outside the toilets before practice and race will net you a lot of drivers. Or you could attend the formal autograph session which is mandatory for the drivers, but they get a big turnout of fans and queueing is necessary.
Pit Access: During practice, qualifying and race the pits are out of bounds unless you get a Hot Pass which gets you right in behind the teams pit boxes and you get a close up of the noise and action of pit stops. Ear defenders essential!
Seating: At all the ovals apart from INDY you can see all round the ovals and easily keep track of the race action. There is a position pylon visible as well if you loose concentration. It gets very hot at most races and a hat is essential as is sun block.
Racing: IRL is very close exciting racing with lots of overtaking, in my opinion a much better spectator sport than road or circuit racing, and I did it for 15 yrs so this is not uninformed bias.
Get to a race if you can, and the INDY 500 has to top the list, there really are 250,000 fans watching in the stands, it is amazing!
Old 30 Jan 2004, 15:24 (Ref:856495)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks B/Mark, great info there!
Old 30 Jan 2004, 15:29 (Ref:856501)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Wow, 12 races in one year!?

I'm afraid to ask how you manage that. But you are lucky! Thanks for that post, as I'm going to my first, and probably only IRL race this year. Boy, that sounds weak, after hearing about your 12.

Is a hot pass obtainable, or do you have to know someone?

Danica Patrick
Old 30 Jan 2004, 15:32 (Ref:856504)   #16
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
Living in Scotland myself, it's also hard to get to races. I'm just praying they come to Rockingham .....if only
Yeah i'll second that, well here's to hoping!

I'd love to have the IRL calendar include some of these: -

Well definetly Rockingham, UK!

Eurospeedway, Germany
Welkom, South Africa
Rio De Jeneiro, Brazil

And keep Motegi on the Calendar
Old 30 Jan 2004, 15:55 (Ref:856533)   #17
Testure
Veteran

Excellent post B/Mark, that was exactly the information I was looking for. Alas, I've tried to watch ovals on TV and can't imagine paying to see such a race. I think the world is big enough for the both of us, though

Thanks!
Old 30 Jan 2004, 15:59 (Ref:856537)   #18
Testure
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by OVERSTEER
Yeah i'll second that, well here's to hoping!

I'd love to have the IRL calendar include some of these: -

Well definetly Rockingham, UK!

Eurospeedway, Germany
Welkom, South Africa
Rio De Jeneiro, Brazil

And keep Motegi on the Calendar
I think, from what George has said, that there won't be any changes to the IRL's oval calendar. The only races that'll be added are 4 road/street races in 2005, giving 20 races in total. I doubt there will ever be more than 20 in a year.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 19:22 (Ref:856802)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To B/Mark;

Good description of IRL events as far as atmosphere, etc...

Quick note:

The grandstands alone at Indy seat over 275,000 people, plus there are many who buy general admission tix in the infield as well...

The race usually attracts 350,000 to 400,000...by far the largest single-day sporting event crowd (any sport) on the planet...

If ANY of you ever get the opportunity to come to Indy, let me know...I live here and have been going to the race, quals and practice since 1967, when I was a young kid....

I can give you insight on good tickets, seats you DON'T want to buy, etc....

It is an incredible event at a superb venue....

I also have been to race at Phoenix, Chicagoland, Kentucky, Kansas, and for many years went to Milwaukee...all uniquely different venues that were great for racing...

ON the sound:

Turbos have a higher pitch, but aren't as laoud as an IRL car....they are awesome...

And especially at Indy, the sensation of speed as you watch them shoot by is spectacular....

I spend a lot of time in the Sportscar Forum...lots of guys talk about wanting to see them fly down the Mulsanne Straight...

Indy's straights are 5/8 mile long and they are hitting 235-240 mph....

That's speed...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Jan 2004, 20:44 (Ref:856878)   #20
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL cars are loud.....I've been going to Indy for years.
I've also been to several CART races, too
So, I can honestly say "been there, done that"
Old 30 Jan 2004, 21:08 (Ref:856889)   #21
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be at the Indy 500 this year, not only my first IRL race ever but also my first ever trip overseas! Sure, I live half the world away, in an entirely different hemisphere and all, but as if I'd let that stop me!
Old 30 Jan 2004, 21:56 (Ref:856928)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For how long are you coming to Indy, Jenna????

If it is just for Race Weekend, be SURE to get here in time for Corburetion Day (thursday)...that is one of the best days not only to see all of the field on the track, but also to watch the Pit Stop Comptition, and then get access to Gasoline Alley, the autograph sessions, etc....

Race morning on Georgetown Rd. (just outside of the track along the main straightaway) is a sea of people....

Do you have seats yet????

I can give you some ideas on what to look for...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 1 Feb 2004, 20:31 (Ref:859392)   #23
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'll prob be there for a week or so, not sure yet. i'm not buying the tix personally so i'm not sure where they are but it doesn't really bother me, it'll be so exciting just to be there!
Old 1 Feb 2004, 21:48 (Ref:859497)   #24
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jenna, be prepared for a HUGE crowd (yes, even though attendance has dwindled...it's still huge!).
BUT, people in Indy are nice. The town isn't London, NYC, or Paris but fun can be had by all (I won't go into my college days there, LOL BTW, Tim, it was Marian College )

Last edited by MLM; 1 Feb 2004 at 21:52.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 22:35 (Ref:859539)   #25
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got to the Indy 500 in 2001 and it is without doubt the greatest motorsport event anywhere, period. The IRL cars sound gorgeous and throaty at 230mph even though I'm a CART boy myself. Well worth the 9hr flight