Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Apr 2007, 20:05 (Ref:1894181)   #1
amier
Racer

amier has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Albers - A dirty driver

According to JV, but I dont think this guy should be in f1, he has not proved his worth, seems to be like another joss verstappen often crashing or in the gravel trap.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 20:38 (Ref:1894220)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Well, he's got a lot of financial backing, which is why he has an F1 seat, but the fact that he won races in the DTM proves that he isn't a complete clogger. The standard of pay driver is a lot better than it used to be.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 20:47 (Ref:1894227)   #3
Webslinger
Racer

Webslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Albers needs to do a lot more to prove his worth in F1 - I'm happy to go with JV's comments until proven otherwise.

But what about a potentially even greater liability called Sutil? Three races and three incidents - maybe he needs to borrow JV's specs and/or contact lenses..?
Old 17 Apr 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1894257)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webslinger
But what about a potentially even greater liability called Sutil? Three races and three incidents - maybe he needs to borrow JV's specs and/or contact lenses..?
Sutil's had a shaky start, but he's not a liability. He looked the part in F3, and is rated very highly by his former team-mate Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 21:48 (Ref:1894281)   #5
Fletcher
Rookie

Finland
Fletcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webslinger
Albers needs to do a lot more to prove his worth in F1 - I'm happy to go with JV's comments until proven otherwise.

The crash in Malaysia was not his fault, the car broke. Although he's been crashing I'm pretty impressed as he's regularly been faster than Albers.

I'd say Albers has done enough in lesser categories to deserve a chance in F1 and the first two seasons weren't that bad even if he didn't do anything spectacular. It's very hard to impress with the machinery he's had. Still, if he continues to lose to Sutil he's on his way out.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 21:58 (Ref:1894294)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't Sutil hit somebody before the main crash in Malaysia? He's always looked like a menace so far, especially when being lapped.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 22:27 (Ref:1894313)   #7
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Albers has done enough to earn his seat in F1, but I think his time is coming to a close. He outperformed his team mates (just) in his first two years, but I think enoughs enough.

As for Sutil, he's so inexperienced compared to Hamilton/Kubica/Kovalainen, that it's not surprising he's made so many mistakes. He's only ever done F3 before after all. Who knows how quick he really is.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 05:08 (Ref:1894412)   #8
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sutil could benefit from starting in the pits. The team should do it once just to get a baseline for his race pace.

Albers though, as well as having the backing, must have impressed a few people at Spyker by now, as they dont seem to have any shortage of pay drivers they could promote.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 06:26 (Ref:1894424)   #9
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On of Albers his long time backers is Michiel Mol(Lost Boys,Icon Media Lab), who also(together with his father Jan Mol) owns 70% of Spyker F1(30% of the sahres are owned by Spyker Cars, but 32% of those shares are also owned by Jan Mol).

BTW did anyone hear what Albers's manager had to say before the season started in Australia??

"Christijan has outgrown Spyker, he has to move to a bigger team next year, maybe Red Bull or Toyota"

Well, he will have to beat Sutil first won't he
Old 18 Apr 2007, 14:35 (Ref:1894749)   #10
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Albers well enough but I rate Doornbos higher.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 14:46 (Ref:1894754)   #11
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp356a
I like Albers well enough but I rate Doornbos higher.
Why? Doornbos has never won anything significant. I hope he will do well in Champcar. I rate them about the same (which is good, but no world champion material). Doornbos might be quicker over a single lap, but what a lot of people never notice with backmarkers is their racepace. If you keep an eye on Albers his racepace you'll see his always quick and very consistant (until he gets lapped).
Old 18 Apr 2007, 17:42 (Ref:1894934)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Albers is the worst pedaller to have driven a Formula One car.

To be out-performed by Sutil on occassion is worrying though.
Old 20 Apr 2007, 11:56 (Ref:1896214)   #13
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
Why? Doornbos has never won anything significant. I hope he will do well in Champcar. I rate them about the same (which is good, but no world champion material). Doornbos might be quicker over a single lap, but what a lot of people never notice with backmarkers is their racepace. If you keep an eye on Albers his racepace you'll see his always quick and very consistant (until he gets lapped).
Doornbos did far better in F3000 than Albers, and when paired at Minardi I think Doornbos did slightly better considering he only joined the team mid season. Having said that, I do rate Albers as he had some good drives for Midland last year and easily outperformed Monteiro, but he needs to beat Sutil this year if his career is to keep progressig and that hasn't happened so far. Hs seat at Spyker should be fairly safe though as I believe he is married to the daughter of one of the team's shareholders...
Old 20 Apr 2007, 12:01 (Ref:1896223)   #14
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo28
Hs seat at Spyker should be fairly safe though as I believe he is married to the daughter of one of the team's shareholders...
No, you are confusing him with Giedo van der Garde (and they are not married yet)
Old 20 Apr 2007, 14:01 (Ref:1896318)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Scott Speed and his team mate, Rat-Boy have been doing a good job of crashing into anything and everything this year and last.
Old 20 Apr 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1896703)   #16
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
I don't think Albers is the worst pedaller to have driven a Formula One car.

To be out-performed by Sutil on occassion is worrying though.
Why is it worrying to be out-performed by Adrian Sutil? Sutil has had a very respectable career in the lower formulae, and Albers has won in DTM.

We aren't dealing with a pair of Zsolt Baumgartners here.
Old 20 Apr 2007, 23:02 (Ref:1896724)   #17
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Albers is good, no doubt about that, but I reckon he has had his time. In 2 years he has done nothing worth of note, and drivers going into their 3rd year would want to start scoring points...so far the only points Albers scored was 5th place at USA and we all know why that was.

I know he hasn't had the machinery to do much, but if you look at him now he is in the same position as he was when he started in F1 in 2005, at the back. The only slightly special thing he has done was qualifying for the Canadian GP in 2005 when he managed to put a great lap together in a Minardi.

One thing that struck me watching the Aussie GP this year when Albers had that pathetic accident to end his race was how amateur it all seemed. There was Lewis Hamilton working wonders at the front, and at the back Albers with many miles under his belt, locking up, not bothering to get off the brake pedal in time to steer away from the wall. His excuse..."i was fiddling around with my ear phones which had come loose". To me it was a comical episode that you shouldn't really see in the pinnacle of the sport.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 14:24 (Ref:1897029)   #18
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going back to the original heading of this thread I have it on reasonable authority that he showers at least once a month!
Old 23 Apr 2007, 11:30 (Ref:1898445)   #19
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
The crash in Malaysia was not his fault, the car broke. Although he's been crashing I'm pretty impressed as he's regularly been faster than Albers.
To get back on this one: The car broke because he hit a Honda with it

According to german tabloid Sport Bild Albers has to prove himself in Barcelona, or he'll lose his seat to Marcus Winkelhock. Now are the german tabloids not the most reliable sources, but it does show that Albers is under pressure. And he should be in my opinion, as he's definitely not performing the way he should.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 12:10 (Ref:1898495)   #20
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen
No, you are confusing him with Giedo van der Garde (and they are not married yet)
Sorry, the Guardian F1 season prevew insisted it was Albers! Perhaps his seat isn't all that safe then, athough I imagine Spyker will be keen to have at least one Dutch driver in the future for marketing/national pride reasons...
Old 23 Apr 2007, 14:05 (Ref:1898601)   #21
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Giedo is trying to get out of his Aguri contract and test at Spyker, so that would be a Dutch driver.