Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Oct 2000, 09:41 (Ref:44894)   #1
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well, In used to think Frank was a good guy until he gave me a **** car for the 2litre's at Bathurst and it looks like my feelings were right. Now he has got rid of the only driver in England, or Britain for that matter, who looked like he could actually challenge in a race instead of make up the numbers and replaced him with another no talent Indy car racer. Frank, stay off whatever the doctor is prescibing as it has stuffed your memory. Zanardi for one and that other looser Andretti for two. JV is the only dude who has risen to the challenge and lets face it, it's in his genes!!! Just ask Danni....... Anyone else with an opinion?????Let me know.......
Old 26 Oct 2000, 09:54 (Ref:44897)   #2
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh Oh

Jonesy are you asking for it, ragging Montoya.

He will come to no good among the weak minded Europeans. They must have weak minds as Frank hired him!
Old 26 Oct 2000, 10:03 (Ref:44898)   #3
Alan Jones
Veteran

Well Mr Moffatt, obviously I think Juan is another no talent wannabe who has does good int the kiddy car series and probably would do ok in a soapbox derby as he carries a lot of $#@$% in his CV, but he is destined to take Williams further down the list in the constructors title. Guess he'll be good for something......
Any truth to the rumour Jenson is actually an Aussie???
Old 26 Oct 2000, 10:13 (Ref:44902)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any truth to the rumour Jenson is actually an Aussie???

He could be, but as I was born a Canadian I wouldn't know!

Reckon he could drive a mean Falcon V8 though.
Old 26 Oct 2000, 10:30 (Ref:44907)   #5
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How else can you get talented drivers into the sports? The bad ones are tried and discarded and the goods ones are tied to top teams.

Never write off anybody too early. Being a JV fan you should know it too well.

And if JV can be progress from the Indy to F1 then why can't Montoya?
Old 26 Oct 2000, 10:43 (Ref:44913)   #6
Alan Jones
Veteran

Good point LYM but I reckon his only chance is he will be partners with a Shumacher and if that isn't motivation to kick your team mates backside, then It is time I watched another sport
Old 26 Oct 2000, 13:37 (Ref:44970)   #7
Airhead
Veteran

I think Montoya has it all. Looks ( in latin sorry I'm cathlic way) able to drive like bugery snd break the car,act latin when the shiiiiiite hits the fan, abvility to out break himself.

He will see Ralph, spent 2 days laughind at his first name then release that he isn't good enough to wipe his arse.

Oh well, the one things about Amercans tyhat makes r easly is it is popukated by Americans....
Old 26 Oct 2000, 18:44 (Ref:45022)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Well Juan Godly Montoya is obviously very confident, having run to the press to shout his mouth off about Ralf...
Old 26 Oct 2000, 19:20 (Ref:45029)   #9
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just my opinion...

Having watched Montoya I have to say that I believe he is a very special talent indeed.

If I were Frank I would have made the same decision. Jenson is obviously talented but he has had No apprenticeship in the lower formula. Like Jackie Stewart say you can't jump from playschool to University. I think it is a good idea to let him build experience in another team. I am worried that Jenson has not had enough racing. He has moved too F1 too soon in my opinion. He should have stayed in F3 for a year or two.

I believe Ralf is over rated and I will not be surprised if Montoya is wiping the floor with him mid-season. Then again he may not.

Formula 1 needs a driver like Montoya. I for one, have not been as exited about a driver since Jean Alesi.

Tris
Old 26 Oct 2000, 19:59 (Ref:45045)   #10
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tris
Formula 1 needs a driver like Montoya. I for one, have not been as exited about a driver since Jean Alesi.

Tris
And what a glittering career he has had...

I'm not being nasty, but he has made some seriously bad decisions.
Old 26 Oct 2000, 20:42 (Ref:45053)   #11
Alan Jones
Veteran

Well Ralph's Girl, seems like you have missed the first part of the press war where Ralph started the criticism with a few jibes at his new team mate, then Juan replied saying Europeans have weak minds etc... After Ralph's season, looks like Juan already has him rattled and if you look at the way Jenson outdrove him this year, I'm not suprised. Maybe you should change your username to Ralph is a Girl ( no offence to the ladies!!!)
And Tris , While I have the greatest respect for JS , I think he is out of touch. If JButton was an apprentice and had jumped too soon, how does he explain his season this year. Seems to me JB outdrove many more experienced racers this year for relatively few mistakes when under enormous amounts of pressure. We need more drivers like JB, who don't let a silly excuse like dirty air stop him from having a go. Still think Frank should have kept him and got rid of Ralph if he had to have Juan. Imagine, a British team firing a Brit in favour of a German.... Wouldn't have happened in the 1950's.......
Old 26 Oct 2000, 21:12 (Ref:45056)   #12
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
JPM will be blinding quick in dry, but the real testers will be the wet races... Does it rain at Melbourne in March..plz somebody tell me good news
Old 26 Oct 2000, 21:24 (Ref:45057)   #13
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by AlanJones
Well Ralph's Girl, seems like you have missed the first part of the press war where Ralph started the criticism with a few jibes at his new team mate, then Juan replied saying Europeans have weak minds etc... After Ralph's season, looks like Juan already has him rattled and if you look at the way Jenson outdrove him this year, I'm not suprised. Maybe you should change your username to Ralph is a Girl ( no offence to the ladies!!!)
Oh, you are funny...

I haven't missed anything. If you look at the topic 'I can't believe he said that' I have explained it on there. Ralf responded to a question he was asked about Montoya. Then Montoya ran off crying to the press with 'Europeans are weak-minded...'

After Ralf's season...I know! I'm ashamed to be a fan! Finishing fifth! The best anyone not in a Ferrari or a McLaren could hope to be! God, I'm disappointed...

*sarcasm intended*

Jenson outdrove him...Ralf had twice as many points and won the qualifying 10-7. Outdrove...erm, no.
Old 26 Oct 2000, 21:46 (Ref:45062)   #14
Dani
Rookie

Dani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
B4 i start can i just remind everyone apart from Ralf's girl, that his name is spelt RALF not RALPH!!! Sorry it just annoys me!!

As 4 the MOnty thing!! Ralf answered a question about Montoya, which was fair and nothing bad against Montoya. What he said about not knowing about Montoya, he could end up like Zanardi, was just an answer to a question! Montoya was the one who took it further running of crying to the press!!

Ralf is NOT over rated, he is as good as people say he is!!

Jenson DID NOT kick his butt, all he did was finish a few races in front of him and out qualifying him!! BIG wow, dont u think???
Old 26 Oct 2000, 21:50 (Ref:45065)   #15
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London

Well said Dani.

Old 26 Oct 2000, 21:56 (Ref:45068)   #16
Dani
Rookie

Thanx!!!! Its true what i said!!! Ralf will kick Monty's little arse!!!
Old 26 Oct 2000, 22:01 (Ref:45072)   #17
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
I think that in some areas it will be close, like it has with Button (eg. qualifying). But, like this year, Ralf's experience will show in the race, when he can keep his head. The race is what counts. You don't get points for qualifying.
Old 26 Oct 2000, 22:11 (Ref:45080)   #18
Dani
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
I think that in some areas it will be close, like it has with Button (eg. qualifying). But, like this year, Ralf's experience will show in the race, when he can keep his head. The race is what counts. You don't get points for qualifying.
Thats is soooo true!! I mean look what happened to JB when behind the safety car!!

Old 26 Oct 2000, 23:06 (Ref:45098)   #19
Alan Jones
Veteran

I stand corrected, from here on in will always refer to him as Ralf. As to my statement that he outdrove him, yes the points clearly show this to be the other way round but when you consider JB's lack of experience, he had an amazing season and definitely unsettled Ralf on more than 1 occasion.Thankyou for your thoughts and I will check out your opinions as mentioned.

* no sarcasm intended *
love and kisses
AJ
Old 26 Oct 2000, 23:43 (Ref:45102)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya is saying nothing that Senna didn't say or would not have said - and to whoever referred to him as an American - he isn't. He's Colombian.

And if Ralf is such a sensitive plant that he needs all you guys to protect him from the big bad Colombian boy, then maybe he ought to ask Santa for a backbone for Christmas.

Let them duke it out on the piste, and let us enjoy the handbags in the press - God knows we have had too many years of public relations robotics since Prost retired and Senna was killed.

And as for Jean Alesi, he has showed us what a driver with passion used to be like ... and I don't feel as if he's trying to sell me something every time he opens his mouth. Which is a nice change.
Old 27 Oct 2000, 03:49 (Ref:45136)   #21
montoya
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leeds, Yorkshire
montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM

Hi!!

Yes girls its me!! I just wanted to say that Montoya will kick ass next year wether u like it or not!!

Who cares about their arguments!! They both said stuu they shouldnt have so who cares!!

Williams will be a quicker team because of their rivalry, as both will want to kick each others ass!!

Seeya!
Old 27 Oct 2000, 16:30 (Ref:45203)   #22
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many times we have discussed this topic?, anyway Montoya is a good driver, better than ralf, I don´t know but all this controversy is good for williams, both juan and shum could be race each other for respect, and this gives us more fun to wathc the races. As for if juan will do better than zanardi, we all know he will, it´s just most of you don´t accept it because you don´t think he´s better than european drivers. And about all the weak minded european thing, it is just something juan said because he´s tired of hearing the same question in every press conference " will you be better than your teammate?", it´s a dumb question, who cares if he has more skills than ralf, the main thing here is, is he good enough to take the championship, that´s what we must discuss about. Which of you thought mika could win a WDC, not much since michael was on ferrari´s land, but he won two straight, same thing with JV, so stop comparing williams 2001 drivers, it´s useless.
Old 27 Oct 2000, 18:36 (Ref:45216)   #23
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AlanJones
Imagine, a British team firing a Brit in favour of a German.... Wouldn't have happened in the 1950's.......

Jonesy, I think the fellows in Munich who make the lump that powers the Williams might have a thing or two to say about who drives for Enstone.

It seems absurd to to argue this point as though any two of the three drivers concerned are great and the third is a brick missing 3-6th gears.
The fact is that they are ALL good. Ralfie has proven himself to be very talented, and that first win is only as far away as a front-running BMW.
Button had a remarkably good first season, but could still do with some maturing. Frank sends him off to Flav's finishing school for two years, AND gains the benefit of Button's knowledge of the supposedly advanced Renault engines when he returns to the Williams fold in 2003.
Montoya is clearly a rare talent and seems worth the gamble while BMW-Williams are still in the developmental phase. Ralf may well not want to stick around forever at Williams. In 2003, Montoya, (and a by then veteran) Button will be a formidible team.
Old 27 Oct 2000, 18:37 (Ref:45217)   #24
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Re: JPM

Quote:
Originally posted by montoya
Williams will be a quicker team because of their rivalry, as both will want to kick each others ass!!
Well, well, well...hello Monty!

I didn't think of that. I guess Montoya will push Ralf and vice versa. But I think that, while qualifying will be close and probably fairly evenly matched, the race will be a whole different thing. Ralf, as he has shown this year against Button, is a very mature racer. So his greater experience will show in the race. And, of course, in the rain...
Old 27 Oct 2000, 19:29 (Ref:45226)   #25
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE

Montoya is clearly a rare talent and seems worth the gamble while BMW-Williams are still in the developmental phase. Ralf may well not want to stick around forever at Williams. In 2003, Montoya, (and a by then veteran) Button will be a formidible team.

I agree. I think Montoya will do even better than Button did against Schumacher in his first season. However I think Schumacher with his experience will probably pick up BMW's first win. Montoya is in for the long term with Williams. A lot of people feel Frank's been smoking those cigars again because he let Button go. But I think its smart. Frank wants to build his teams future around Montoya and Button. Schumacher will either leave for greater pastures in 2003 or take a substantial pay cut to stay with Williams because Frank hs invested a lot more in Montoya and Button than he has in Ralf Schumacher. That isent neccesarily bad for Ralf because if he continues to impress, and I believe he will, then he should have offers from Mclaren and Ferrari plus others. But I think Montoya and Button are the future for Frank and everyone involved is fully aware of that.