Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Mar 2013, 21:12 (Ref:3227379)   #1
Dayzer
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Dayzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The True Ability of Nico Rosberg

At the moment it's very difficult to find a place in the pecking order for Nico Rosberg. Is he on par with the Vettels and the Alonsos of this world? Or merely a midfield runner? If so, whereabouts in the midfield? He's clearly quick, but I don't think it's ever been determined how quick he really is. Looking back on the career and team-mates so far of Mercedes pilot, I believe that this year, we will finally have an answer.

At the back end of 2005, after taking the inaugural GP2 title ahead of Heikki Kovalainen, Nico followed in his fathers footsteps in joining Williams for the 2006 season, partnering Mark Webber. Despite being beaten by his Australian team-mate, he gave some notable performances, including setting the fastest lap of the race on his debut in Bahrain, proving that he wasn't just there because of his name. As a measure of how drivers compare, I would normally disregard the first season, with drivers getting up to speed over the course of the year. A second season with the experienced Webber would've been ideal for the world to gauge his true pace. However, after Williams and Webber failed to agree on a new contract, Mark made the switch to Red Bull (and what a move that would prove to be!).

Williams paired Rosberg with their 2006 test driver, Alex Wurz, a driver who hadn't been in a full-time race seat since the 2000 season. The Austrians lack of recent racing experience seemed clear, with Rosberg out-qualifying and out-racing the former Benetton man over the course of the year. There have been a few examples in the sports history where a driver who has been absent for a long period of time out of the car has struggled upon returning, at times not being a match for their team-mate, and Wurz didn't really buck the trend here. Alex announced his retirement at the end of the season and made way for Kazuki Nakajima.

Kazuki was a relatively unknown quantity when he arrived in Formula One, and made his debut at the last race of the 2007 season. Despite mowing down two mechanics during the race, it was a successful audition, which would lead to a two year spell with the team. He did show promise, scoring some decent points in the 2008 season, but it seemed as the races went by, Kazuki's talent was depleting. He went from having a solid debut season to being absolutely destroyed by Nico the following year, 34.5 points to nil. This further raised the stock of Rosberg and he made the switch to title winning Brawn team for 2010, rebadged as Mercedes, partnering the returning king, Michael Schumacher.

The whole 'Michael Schumacher comeback' saga has been so well documented, you probably don't need me to explain how it all turned out, how successful it was etc. However, his inability to beat young Nico has only highlighted the fact that Rosberg is a very good driver. As I alluded to before, returning drivers have not often had much success. But that's because they were drivers being forced out and given a second chance, I.e. there was a reason they were dropped in the first place - they probably just weren't quick enough. However, Michaels return was an expert coming out of retirement, completely different circumstances, but with the same issue of not much track time in the last few seasons. I think that's probably reason enough to (rather generously) discount the first seasons results as a comparison, but over the three years, Rosbergy won. The bit I can't quite determine is whether Schumacher vs. Rosberg was a good gauge of Nicos ability. Three to five years ago, Schumacher would've been the perfect yardstick to compare any driver to, what better gauge than the sports most decorated driver? But I don't think we ever saw Schumacher at his former best. There's generally a reason why a lot of professional sporting personalities retire before they're forty. Whether its just not feeling as quick or a complete loss of interest, it's rare for a sportsman to be playing at their best past the age where 'life begins'.

So looking back at the team-mates of Nico Rosberg, I believe we only really have Mark Webber for comparison, but I also believe they've both improved since then, you can't go six or seven seasons without learning a few things along the way. If Nico can prove that he is, at least, Lewis Hamiltons equal, then I'll be prepared to add him to the debate of 'who is the fastest driver in Formula One?'.

Do you Agree?

Want to read more Features on F1 - Click Here (External Link to F1Pad.ie)
Old 31 Mar 2013, 21:31 (Ref:3227383)   #2
ottostreet
Rookie

ottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Rosberg is as good as Hamilton.

But I don't think Hamilton is a truly 'elite' driver. I might not have many who agree, but he's too inconsistent in my opinion.
Old 1 Apr 2013, 01:34 (Ref:3227439)   #3
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rosberg regularly surprises me. I think that his ability exceeds his reputation. Kind of the quiet achiever.

I don't have the stats to back it up though feel as though he's a good racer, a better racer than he is qualifier. So he doesn't grab the headlines at the start of the weekend though makes good towards the end.

It wouldn't surprise me if Hamilton wins the qualifying battle though are very close on points at the end of the season. I rate Hamilton's raw pace though I don't feel as though that will shine through with the current crop of tyres.
Old 1 Apr 2013, 12:54 (Ref:3227571)   #4
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams were very critical of his race pace claiming that whilst Button-Brawn were running away with the WDC he should have been a much bigger factor but woudl go walkabouts during a race.

If that was a weakness he seems to have addressed it
Old 1 Apr 2013, 13:14 (Ref:3227575)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nico is a soft version of Keke Rosberg, without that whole "animal" energy.
Old 1 Apr 2013, 14:09 (Ref:3227600)   #6
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
I suspect he's as good as any on the grid (I'm not talking the absolute fastest on one lap) but may not quite be so motivated if not in a top car. I don't mean in the way Jenson needs a perfect car, I mean Rosberg is motivated only by a car that has a chance of winning. Out-performing Schumacher over 3 years is not possible unless you're one of the aces. Although he didn't have a race-winning car over those 3 years, his motivation was to be better than Schumacher, and he succeeded.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 00:43 (Ref:3227819)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Ask his girlfriend...
Old 2 Apr 2013, 11:19 (Ref:3227935)   #8
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well we'll all find out at the end of 2013 I think.

It was a bit too early to compare him to Webber, and I can't even remember them much anyway a team mates. Alex Wurz was okay but 6 years out of F1, he was done. I always thought Alex would do better than he did, but I guess he had enough chance. Nakajima should never have been in F1, he never even won a Gp2 race with DAMS.

That's what makes Hammy vs Rosby so interesting this year. Does he have the speed of Keke? Don't see why not - level of racing talent usually follows through the generations. Wonder if we'll see Schumacher's son in F1 in future?
Old 2 Apr 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3227973)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No more TGFs in the future please !
Old 2 Apr 2013, 18:03 (Ref:3228138)   #10
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
No more TGFs in the future please !
You mean Schumi or Vettel or Rosberg?

On the subject of Rosberg, I suspect that he is quite a good driver. I think that Hamilton will find him a much tougher teammate than he expected(even though they have known each other and race each other for some length of time).

Is he a future WDC? Hmmmmm, jury is still out on that.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3228193)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

I mean everything that TGF means. And I guess a lot of people here do agree.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 22:49 (Ref:3228277)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think Nico is a talented young chap, we have not seen him in a truly great car yet although the Mercedes this season appears to have broken new ground..

Last edited by JeremySmith; 2 Apr 2013 at 23:40.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 23:38 (Ref:3228297)   #13
ottostreet
Rookie

ottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridottostreet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He appears to be quite likeable too. This season could be the making of him.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 11:46 (Ref:3228498)   #14
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good post Dayzer.

Nico Rosberg is a very good Formula 1 driver who I've rated since his first season. For him to be so competitive alongside Schumacher and now Hamilton is not so surprising. There is a fine margin between the talents of these guys and he's shown some serious speed before. Judging him against someone like Nakajima was rather inconclusive.

He gets the job done and I have seen him winning some racey battles, although it's not the most memorable thing about him.

Where Hamilton currently has the edge is in qualifying.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 15:50 (Ref:3228624)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Nico was rated not much above the Heidfeld's of this world, not that long ago. Now he seems to be having something of a resurgence. hmmmm.....
Old 3 Apr 2013, 16:22 (Ref:3228639)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have always rated Nico, from before he got to F1. He has had one or two mediocre seasons in F1 (his 2006 season, for example, degenerated appallingly), but generally he's pretty on the money.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 16:29 (Ref:3228642)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I have always rated Nico, from before he got to F1. He has had one or two mediocre seasons in F1 (his 2006 season, for example, degenerated appallingly), but generally he's pretty on the money.
But he's not a Vettel, a Hamilton, or an Alonso, would you say?
Old 3 Apr 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3228671)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well no, but he isn't far off I'd say. Mere fractions.

The next two or three years will reveal all.