Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Apr 2013, 07:44 (Ref:3229412)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Driver Favoritism

we already know who the Number 1 drivers are in the top teams so far:

Redbull - Helmet before the start of 2013 season - " Sebastien Vettel and Mark Webber will now be treated equally...''

Mercedes - The 13 Malaysian GP, ''there's no 1 and 2 here'' - Hamilton after the race.

Mclaren - Jenson Button

Ferrari - Alonso

why can't the teams just give each of their drivers equal machinery, budgets, strategy's, none of this 1 2 business or whatever country your from and then tell the drivers to hell with it, knock yourselves out..lol would be a site to see.

Last edited by FAS33; 5 Apr 2013 at 07:49.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 07:57 (Ref:3229416)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Because not all drivers are equal and not all teams are suicidal.

I think Brawn is pragmatic enough to alter his approach to suit the circumstances. There's every chance Hamilton will be told to hold position behind Rosberg at some point. What Brawn won't do is risk the possibility of them taking each other off - not that I think they would.

At McLaren, Button has the advantage of being the old hand in residence while Perez gets used to the team. But I think Perez will be let off the leash if he's quicker.

At Redbull, they have every chance of retaining the WDC with Vettel, so why wouldn't they give him every opportunity?

At Ferrari, why wouldn't they throw everything they can behind the best driver on the grid? It very nearly paid off last season, I don't see why they can't go one better this season.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 13:41 (Ref:3229515)   #3
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Twas ever thus.

The team management of all the teams are playing the long game. They're not thinking of this lap, or this race, or even this season in some cases. They're thinking of ongoing or new sponsorship, ongoing commercial developments, commitments to suppliers & spin-out companies, whether they'll be able to negotiate a bigger slice of the TV pie somewhere down the line and a plethora of other "political" issues that we don't necessarily get to see.

Brawn's radio comments were a perfect example of that. He's been in the game for long enough, inside one of the biggest political movers in F1, to know that the long game is what matters. Horner should know that; one suspects he now has rather more knowledge of it than he did before this season started - and you can be damned sure that Vettel's learned some of it, too. Whether it makes a difference to him will be interesting to see in the future.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 13:58 (Ref:3229520)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Twas ever thus.

The team management of all the teams are playing the long game. They're not thinking of this lap, or this race, or even this season in some cases. They're thinking of ongoing or new sponsorship, ongoing commercial developments, commitments to suppliers & spin-out companies, whether they'll be able to negotiate a bigger slice of the TV pie somewhere down the line and a plethora of other "political" issues that we don't necessarily get to see.
That's the pity for me. The drivers' championship has become such an obsession that it is focused on to the detriment of racing. Hobbled or not, Webber and Vettel's battle was one of the best battles of the last few years.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 15:28 (Ref:3229554)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
why can't the teams just give each of their drivers equal machinery, budgets, strategy's, none of this 1 2 business or whatever country your from and then tell the drivers to hell with it, knock yourselves out..lol would be a site to see.
That's a dream, you know. No matter what, top teams have their politics and strategies and hardly they'll put to risk a WDC. Ferrari is clear (one rooster in the hen-house) about this and the others just keep it silent.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3229717)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From the OP every team will have a number 1 if you look at it like that. Does that then mean there is a favoured number 1. Not in every team no.

Also everyone here has a favourite. That doesn't mean that some can't see past that to be fair.

In Red Bull there are very important people favouring Vettel. In Ferrari they don't hide that they have Alonso as a number 1. Fine.
Elsewhere I don't see it. It just happened that Lewis was ahead. Jenson is the established driver and has been quicker so far this year, are they favouring him unfairly? Why is that the conclusion.

Although each team can do what they want.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 22:39 (Ref:3229739)   #7
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd question if it is possible to give drivers completely equal machinery as occasionally different engines will give different levels of performance, for instance. Furthermore, if drivers are running in close proximity, there has to be some degree of preference given to one or the other in terms of pit stops to prevent them both queuing in the pits at the same time.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 23:30 (Ref:3229751)   #8
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
2007 F1 Season
Old 5 Apr 2013, 23:36 (Ref:3229753)   #9
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nevermind team's favouritism, the FIA themselves have always had a favourite team and often driver. Also, the teams will often switch their 'number 1' driver around if it's important to do so. This came true in the case of Ferrari in 1999 and 2008 when Irvine and Massa were supported for their chance to win the championship compared to their previous number 1 driver.

Brawn has always been like this, he's intelligent and calculated with the humanism and character of a damp dull rag hanging off the side of a bathtub. Basically, perfect for his job in Formula 1.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 01:51 (Ref:3229790)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Nevermind team's favouritism, the FIA themselves have always had a favourite team and often driver.
That's a bold statement.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 02:48 (Ref:3229801)   #11
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
That's a bold statement.
Well, I take back 'always', but its pretty clear that many times certain drivers get away with certain things that others just don't. How many times was Schumacher ever penalised for rough driving while he was at Ferrari, then compare it to how many times when he came back with Mercedes? Also, the 2003 F1 season is a perfect example (through the tires) where the FIA decision essentially flipped the title fight towards one particular team with an inane decision. Inconsistent penalties and constant rule changes ect. And of course the 80s during the FISA FOCA war.

Its certainly gotten better since Jean Marie Balestre and Mosley.

I just don't see the problem with team's favouring one driver, this has been a part of Formula 1 since it's inception
Old 6 Apr 2013, 10:46 (Ref:3229897)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
From the OP every team will have a number 1 if you look at it like that. Does that then mean there is a favoured number 1. Not in every team no.

Although each team can do what they want.
The problem comes when teams realise the only way to compete for the drivers' title is to nominate one driver and they all follow suit. With drivers' titles being decided by a few points, if they don't all do that, they're not competing the same and the drivers' title is rendered slightly devalued.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 10:59 (Ref:3229900)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it's fine to back a driver over a team mate when the situation is obviously one sided as at McLaren where Jenson is a proven winner and world champion and Sergio is coming to a new team and learning.

Maybe some teams like Ferrari should perhaps be a little more even as Massa is a proven winner, yet perhaps not recently.

I would rather have that rather than the woeful choreographed tripe you see in WTCC and DTM where everyone pulls out of the way to let a Spengler/Schenider.Ekky into the lead, it looks awful!
Old 6 Apr 2013, 12:32 (Ref:3229918)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I know people have long thought the FIA favours Ferrari (though I disagree). What I've never been able to figure out is why they would do so. Cui bono?
Old 6 Apr 2013, 13:31 (Ref:3229929)   #15
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
good question.

i must admit i dont know much about the FIA structure but my impression has always been that Ferrari has enjoyed much greater support then the other teams amongst the FIA membership and the national reps which make up the FIA.

im probably totally way of base with that but decisions always seem to come down in their favour. maybe its just more that i always thought there was a bias against Mclaren and as Ferrari were the main rival anti Mclaren rulings naturally meant a benefit for Ferrari hence the notion of favoritism was born, for me anyways.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 07:38 (Ref:3230225)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well if you read Bernie's book, he has never liked Ron Dennis and always got on fine with people at Ferrari, he never really liked Uncle Ken either!
Old 7 Apr 2013, 09:25 (Ref:3230266)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

2008 was the nadir. Things have been largely fine since then to what I know.