Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Oct 2008, 22:40 (Ref:2308709)   #51
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But, then, anyone with any business sense could have seen through the CC owners club, and know things weren't hunky-dorey.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 23:01 (Ref:2308722)   #52
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do people always get upset when Murphy reports on rumors? Is it that hard to see a difference between rumors and news?
Old 10 Oct 2008, 23:12 (Ref:2308734)   #53
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I could come up with a new nickname and throw out all sorts of rumours that come to the voices in my tiny mind !!!

Hows this for a rumour .....

Rodger Penske , the Captain , is known to be at the sharp end of the stick , which is where he is not at the moment . Meaning that he would probably prefer to be up with Audi in LMP1 .

The plot thickens ..... It doesnt appear to make business sense to Peugeot , for a prolonged race program in the ALMS . Peugeot has also said that privateer chassis would be available to the "right" team .

Penske on the other hand , probably doesnt care what chassis he runs as long as its works supported and wins . Looking at the 908 ..... I reckon Penske could do just as good a job as the factory team , possibly better with his teams vast knowlage of American tracks .

My theory about what penske will be doing come 2009 is this :

Penske will run a brace of Peugeot 908 HDI VAP in the ALMS in 2009 .

What about that for a theory Murphy ?

Last edited by The Badger; 10 Oct 2008 at 23:14.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 02:06 (Ref:2308801)   #54
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I could come up with a new nickname and throw out all sorts of rumours that come to the voices in my tiny mind !!!

Rodger Penske , the Captain , is known to be at the sharp end of the stick , which is where he is not at the moment . Meaning that he would probably prefer to be up with Audi in LMP1 .

The plot thickens ..... It doesnt appear to make business sense to Peugeot , for a prolonged race program in the ALMS . Peugeot has also said that privateer chassis would be available to the "right" team .

Penske on the other hand , probably doesnt care what chassis he runs as long as its works supported and wins . Looking at the 908 ..... I reckon Penske could do just as good a job as the factory team , possibly better with his teams vast knowlage of American tracks .

I don't believe any of it since you spelled Roger wrong.

DK
Old 11 Oct 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2309008)   #55
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
If only you could have told my parents that...
Old 11 Oct 2008, 14:09 (Ref:2309150)   #56
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies
If only you could have told my parents that...
LOL

DK
Old 11 Oct 2008, 16:18 (Ref:2309177)   #57
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
And I thought I was stupid !!!
Old 11 Oct 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2309210)   #58
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

That was exactly my theory as well, and one I hope comes true.

Although with only 1-2 years of elligibility in the current rules, would Penske want to bother with a current LMP? Perhaps he'll do Grand Am next year while Porsche develops a P1 for the new regulations.

Last edited by WMUCarGuy; 11 Oct 2008 at 17:37.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 17:44 (Ref:2309212)   #59
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
There's only one thing wrong with the Peugeot-theory: Next year there'll be new cars from Acura and Audi on track, while the 908 will be in its third year of competition. And the 908 isn't known for its reliability, either, so they can't really hope to win against their opposition on reliability, either.
There's probably just one more year of competitive racing in the car, if at all. Would be quite a risk for Penske.

Will Peugeot have a new car for LM(S) 2009 or will they 'just' develop the hybrid car?
Old 11 Oct 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2309213)   #60
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
There's only one thing wrong with the Peugeot-theory: Next year there'll be new cars from Acura and Audi on track, while the 908 will be in its third year of competition. And the 908 isn't known for its reliability, either, so they can't really hope to win against their opposition on reliability, either.
There's probably just one more year of competitive racing in the car, if at all. Would be quite a risk for Penske.

Will Peugeot have a new car for LM(S) 2009 or will they 'just' develop the hybrid car?
Yea, well it's been easily faster than Audi at every event this year, and I don't think they'd have many reliability problems in our 2:45 races. And IF someone aside from the factory were to run them (especially in the ALMS), I'd think Pug would want them to have the newest, best version of the car to take on Audi and Acura. While Peugeot won't have an all new car next year, surely they won't be standing still over the off season and hey 908 will be even more improved than this year's version.

Last edited by WMUCarGuy; 11 Oct 2008 at 17:55.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 19:04 (Ref:2309251)   #61
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Mr Penske does not have an Peugeot franchise. So this makes no business scene for Penske. Oh wait? There are no Peugeot Franchises in the US.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2309263)   #62
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why let details get in the way of a foolish fantasy?
Old 11 Oct 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2309264)   #63
The Badger
Veteran

Would it matter to him ..... what he races as long as it wins ?

Im sure he didnt do much business outta Lola .
Old 11 Oct 2008, 19:24 (Ref:2309265)   #64
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
Why let details get in the way of a foolish fantasy?
Whats wrong with a little fantasy ..... sometimes it comes true !!! ..... and since this thread is about poop , im allowed to indulge .
Old 12 Oct 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2310358)   #65
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Penske - Acura someone?
Old 12 Oct 2008, 19:19 (Ref:2310410)   #66
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think, not.

L.P.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 23:38 (Ref:2310624)   #67
hemicuda
Rookie

Portugal
Pennsylvania, United states
hemicuda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Mr Penske does not have an Peugeot franchise. So this makes no business scene for Penske. Oh wait? There are no Peugeot Franchises in the US.
As unrealistic a proposition as it may appear in regards to Penske running Peugeots next year, it has nothing to do with penske having a Peugeot franchise or Peugeot selling cars here in the states. A few things to keep in mind, Roger is a smart businessman or a cheapskate, take your pick, either way, whatever he races you can be sure that its not his money being spent. Also, on the remote possibility that he was running peugeots, it would be all about the TV coverage from Peugeots POV. The ALMS has excellent coverage in Europe, in some ways, better than we have here in the states. If Peugeot was to actually pay the captian to run its high tech oil furnaces, that would be its main focus. Also, as of right now, the Hybrid will not be raced intil 2010.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 01:46 (Ref:2310659)   #68
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You could. But that wouldn't make them things said by people in the ALMS paddock and elsewhere in the sport, as is the case with Murphy's rumors. The Bear has never "made up" a rumor. As far as he's gone is to speculate based on things he's heard - and then he says right there in print that "this is speculation."

Speaking of "speculation," the idea that Roger would field Peugeot's isn't all that outlandish, as hemicuda pointed out above.

If Penske found a sponsor who wanted the exposure of running Peugeots (they'd get huge television and at-track coverage, wouldn't they?) then he'd be right there in a heartbeat. With the margin that the 908 already has on the field and Penske development, driver selection, and race management, I'm sure he could win his share, whether Acura and Audi has a new car or not.

If you've seen a Joyce Julius report, you'd realize that the value of coverage a sponsor would get with Penske running the Peugeots would be very substantial, indeed.

However, I suspect Murphy hasn't heard any such discussion in the paddock, so he didn't report it.

As for Champ Car, it's a little disingenious to say now that "anybody with business sense" would have known. The fact is that either they didn't or didn't admit that they did. ALMS/IMSA flatly rejected the possibility (at least in public) in October of 2007 (ask Fogelhund, he asked the question at the State of the Series), and CC teams mostly claimed it came as a complete surprise. IMSA said they had to "scramble" after the announcement (or some such phrase) in regard to the joint-events schedule.

There was no one in these forums who was out there saying with any conviction that CC couldn't/wouldn't finish the 2008 season, say nothing of not starting it. The small bear got a huge load of **** for what he wrote. (And he made up exactly none of it...though he did identify some of it as speculation based on the "facts on the ground.")

I guess (as someone wrote in some forum or another) you could just wait until Autosport or Speedtv prints it, because that makes it "more credible." On the other hand, it might be a good idea to check the track record there, too, while you're at it.

Murphy really doesn't give a damn whether the rumor turns out to be true or not, actually. He's reporting what someone said...not passing judgment on it (though he does leave out some of the more far-out stuff - occasionally).
Old 13 Oct 2008, 05:03 (Ref:2310754)   #69
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Penske with Peugeots, or simply some 908s for privateers, why not, is Lola Cars a "road car" constructor ? even though they have some chassis in the ALMS, the same can be done for Peugeot
Old 13 Oct 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2311280)   #70
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda
As unrealistic a proposition as it may appear in regards to Penske running Peugeots next year, it has nothing to do with penske having a Peugeot franchise or Peugeot selling cars here in the states. A few things to keep in mind, Roger is a smart businessman or a cheapskate, take your pick, either way, whatever he races you can be sure that its not his money being spent. Also, on the remote possibility that he was running peugeots, it would be all about the TV coverage from Peugeots POV. The ALMS has excellent coverage in Europe, in some ways, better than we have here in the states. If Peugeot was to actually pay the captian to run its high tech oil furnaces, that would be its main focus. Also, as of right now, the Hybrid will not be raced intil 2010.
Puegeot would have to pay Penske lots of money.

I think Toyota is a better bet. Get the Penske motosports teams in Toyota.

NASCAR switch from Dodge to Toytota as well.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 14:43 (Ref:2311290)   #71
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Puegeot would have to pay Penske lots of money.

I think Toyota is a better bet. Get the Penske motosports teams in Toyota.

NASCAR switch from Dodge to Toytota as well.
Why assume that it would be Peugeot paying Penske? The "value of exposure" reports referred to above, and the experience of/with Patron in particular would suggest otherwise.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 15:31 (Ref:2311329)   #72
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you think of Peugeot as a race car constructor in the same light as Lola, and thier product is best out there at the moment it makes perfect sense for any team to want to run them.

Penske is better set up to attract sponsors than others I would suspect and is more than able to find the money to run it and return a profit.

How about Audi + Penske as an alternative or Penske Lola Aston there is no shortage of options. As long as he is in the P1 class with a chance of winning does it matter what he runs?
Old 13 Oct 2008, 16:40 (Ref:2311368)   #73
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also in that is, arguably, Penske being the best person/organization/team to take on a very promising works/semi-works program and push it to its full potential. Which could make them very attractive to the likes of Peugeot as a customer.

But who knows? The Shadow Knows!

L.P.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2311407)   #74
rsr
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
rsr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Also in that is, arguably, Penske being the best person/organization/team to take on a very promising works/semi-works program and push it to its full potential. Which could make them very attractive to the likes of Peugeot as a customer.

But who knows? The Shadow Knows!

L.P.
Penske will run Toyota LMP1s next year. Its obvious isn't it??
Old 13 Oct 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2311413)   #75
hemicuda
Rookie

Portugal
Pennsylvania, United states
hemicuda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr
Penske will run Toyota LMP1s next year. Its obvious isn't it??

No, I'd bet more money on a Peugeot than a Toyota at this point. Speculation is a wonderful thing, we will however need to just wait and see who or what happens.