Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Mar 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3044186)   #51
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With Toyota (2010) they finished the season in 4th, and that was their best result since 2004 with BMW.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 00:46 (Ref:3044328)   #52
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens would have bought the car home..
Old 19 Mar 2012, 00:52 (Ref:3044335)   #53
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think he would like to buy it to bring it to his home in Brazil.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 00:58 (Ref:3044339)   #54
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I would say that the biggest change is that they now have Mike Coughlan designing the car (yes, I know he was a naughty boy, but he's all better now), rather than an engine that is vastly superior to the Cosworth. Aero is king in F1.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 01:00 (Ref:3044341)   #55
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rossi View Post
Rubens would have bought the car home..
In about 11th yes.

Its funny how this 'crash or win' attitude is celebrated for some drivers (Hamilton - particularly when he was of a similar experience level as Maldonado) but then criticised with others. I do generally agree with the idea that he should have brought the car home though.

Last edited by beau1; 19 Mar 2012 at 01:12.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3044602)   #56
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As we all know, aero is the major factor in designing an F1 car. The Cosworth engine wasn't bad, but I think that the Renault engine has better driveability.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3044633)   #57
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I would say that the biggest change is that they now have Mike Coughlan designing the car (yes, I know he was a naughty boy, but he's all better now), rather than an engine that is vastly superior to the Cosworth. Aero is king in F1.
are you sure that he joined williams at an early enough stage to make a difference?

for example, the marussia is still a complete cfd car, since the wind tunnel programme hasn't been operational for long enough to affect the design.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 15:28 (Ref:3044702)   #58
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
are you sure that he joined williams at an early enough stage to make a difference?
He joined the team back in May 2011, so I reckon that he has been there long enough to have had a lot of input, if not all of the input, into this seasons Williams car.

Most agree that the Williams is the most improved car of 2012.

Quote:
for example, the marussia is still a complete cfd car, since the wind tunnel programme hasn't been operational for long enough to affect the design.
Marussia have a technical partnership with McLaren that has enabled them to have the use of their wind tunnel and other technonlogy for their 2012 car. Marussia also have a new technical base in Banbury. The cars design is a result of both CFD and wind tunnel use. Pat Symonds playing a big role in the design of the car. Timo Glock says that the car is a vast improvement over the previous Virgin cars.

Ironically, both teams now are headed technically by two victims of recent F1 'gates'.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 16:49 (Ref:3044741)   #59
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
do we know if there were any radio orders from the Williams pitwall instructing PM to either push past Alonso or hold off and secure the points?

common sense would suggest they told him to bring it home safely but being a young man i cant blame him if he wanted to be a hero.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 17:05 (Ref:3044747)   #60
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I think that this article explains all.

"I had already accepted [finishing behind Alonso] because I tried to pass into Turn 3 and it didn't work. I think Alonso was slowing down, his pace was not so strong, so maybe I got too close to him and that's why I lost the back."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98170
Old 19 Mar 2012, 18:20 (Ref:3044787)   #61
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The cars design is a result of both CFD and wind tunnel use. Pat Symonds playing a big role in the design of the car. Timo Glock says that the car is a vast improvement over the previous Virgin cars.
no, it's a full-cfd car. they only got last year's car in the tunnel just before christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme lowdon
The car that we take to the grid this weekend is a full CFD car, so there is no windtunnel work on the car as it stands because there is such a long lead time. We are doing catch-up against teams who have a much better idea of how to use them, so they have a much better idea of correlation. So it is still an all-CFD car, it will be an all-CFD car that is developed using a windtunnel and the 2013 car will be the first one we do that actually has a windtunnel involved in developing it.
http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...er-f1-virgins/
Old 19 Mar 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3044800)   #62
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
no, it's a full-cfd car. they only got last year's car in the tunnel just before christmas.
That's interesting! Thanks for that.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 18:48 (Ref:3044807)   #63
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
that's where i was going with the whole how much influence does coughlan have on the williams thing - ok, so setting up an entire model shop and wind tunnel data analysis department (i'm sure they have a technical name apart from "boffins" ) takes longer than it does for a leader to change the direction of design and development in a car. presumably the williams new car design process started around the time he arrived, whereas vir.. marussia's was already a few months late and symonds could get his hands on it immediately.

whatever both teams have done, so far it has definitely worked!
Old 19 Mar 2012, 18:52 (Ref:3044810)   #64
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He joined the team back in May 2011, so I reckon that he has been there long enough to have had a lot of input, if not all of the input, into this seasons Williams car.

Most agree that the Williams is the most improved car of 2012.
Like Bella, I doubt Coughlan had much of an input on the overall design philosophy of this year's Williams. I suppose he did join before the summer (the time when most teams start to heavily focus on next year's car) but he would have had to have time to integrate into the team and understand the processes in place before even getting to look at and understand the team's design plans for 2012.

I'd imagine he would have made some suggestions, and his influence during testing was probably invaluable, but I doubt he was single-handly Williams' messiah.

I'm certainly happy that the team has made a radical step forward, they were one of my favourite teams as a child so to see them back up the grid has put a smile on my face. Now, if only they could find some of their own sponsors and hire some decent drivers...
Old 19 Mar 2012, 19:42 (Ref:3044853)   #65
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would imagine that Mike Coughlan had a significant influence over this years car as Williams has a pretty good factory aero facility and other infrastructure that would leave them with shorter lead times than Marussia.
Don't forget Marussia were starting from a low base in terms of infrastructure in designing this years car.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 20:06 (Ref:3044866)   #66
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In answer to the thread title. Pastor Maldonado.

Last edited by JeremySmith; 20 Mar 2012 at 00:27.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 20:18 (Ref:3044881)   #67
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I would imagine that Mike Coughlan had a significant influence over this years car as Williams has a pretty good factory aero facility and other infrastructure that would leave them with shorter lead times than Marussia.
Don't forget Marussia were starting from a low base in terms of infrastructure in designing this years car.
This is true, I hadn't really considered that. I suppose Maldonado's PDVSA money must help that.

Marussia always seem to be starting from a low base. They have been in F1 three years now and they seem to have made no progress relative to the establishment. I suppose you could say that to only be 5 seconds off after no preseason testing is an achievement, but the fact that they put themselves in that position is lamentable.

I wonder what was running through John Booth's mind during the off-season?
Old 19 Mar 2012, 23:08 (Ref:3044996)   #68
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
So you think Maldonado in a Williams doesn't compare too well with Alonso in a Ferrari?

I certainly think that Senna got a shock in qualifying. Neither of Williams drivers covered themselves in glory, but at least Williams know that they've got a good car to build on, even if they haven't really got the drivers to bring them home.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 00:29 (Ref:3045036)   #69
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Not ! as Kimi would say...
Old 20 Mar 2012, 00:33 (Ref:3045039)   #70
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
So you think Maldonado in a Williams doesn't compare too well with Alonso in a Ferrari?

I certainly think that Senna got a shock in qualifying. Neither of Williams drivers covered themselves in glory, but at least Williams know that they've got a good car to build on, even if they haven't really got the drivers to bring them home.

They do have a good car and a good engine, there's hope for evolution now.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 20:54 (Ref:3045597)   #71
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps they will take Massa off Ferrari.....

Theyres a thought..Bruno or Pastor number 2 at Ferrari
Old 20 Mar 2012, 23:42 (Ref:3045709)   #72
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Perhaps they will take Massa off Ferrari.....

Theyres a thought..Bruno or Pastor number 2 at Ferrari
I would never put Pastor Maldonado in a Ferrari....
Old 21 Mar 2012, 00:00 (Ref:3045718)   #73
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I would never put Pastor Maldonado in a Ferrari....
Yeah. You wouldn't want him getting anywhere near Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3045731)   #74
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Near anyone...
Old 25 Mar 2012, 18:52 (Ref:3048223)   #75
moonman
Rookie

moonman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this year they we can already say that there is hope for them, I was to give up not long ago.

Just my speculation why things look brighter now:

Getting rid of Patric Head - too old and probably wanted to do things the same way they did in 90's when they were still winning. Just look at the F2 car he was responsible for...

Getting rid of Sam Michael - I don't think he have what is needed to lead the development of a F1 car, year after year he was there but not much results. And now he is sporting director at McLaren, pretty far away from design and development I guess...

The Renault engine for sure have to be better than the previous one.

Pastor Maldonado is the right driver for Williams, no one has better value for money in F1 currently.