Old 3 May 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1291876)   #1
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi to run Cosworth V10 engines in 2006

See this link

Interestingly they will be using a development of this year's V10, not a V8. Wonder if this will be a competitive proposition...
Old 3 May 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1291898)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As we said before it will negate the need to build a totally new car: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...8&page=1&pp=15
So Cosworth are building their V8 as well as this - who will have it?
Old 3 May 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1291903)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is good news that Minardi have an engine deal sorted out this early.

However, they have opted for V10s, limited by FIA, and i doubt it would do them much competitive good.

The only reason i could think of is that Minardi is planning to run an updated 2005 car for 2006, hence, with the current car designed around a V10, they want to keep the whole chassis as it is. Choosing a V8 would meant a need for redesigning the mounting points and a host of other issues.
Old 3 May 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1291905)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Cosworth must be trying hard to tie down a deal for somebody to run their V8s. The V10 Minardi get, i doubt they will receive much updates....
Old 3 May 2005, 11:00 (Ref:1291907)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Also here at www.grandprix.com And what about Sauber or Midland for the V8.They both have had recent ties with Cosworth (Ford).
Old 3 May 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1291911)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
I think Cosworth must be trying hard to tie down a deal for somebody to run their V8s. The V10 Minardi get, i doubt they will receive much updates....
The current V10 won't require any updates.In fact the FIA will have to make sure it doesn't allow Minardi too much of an unfair advantage!
Old 3 May 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1291915)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree, there is no point in updating the V10 as it will only be hit with further penalties/restrictions if they do.

If Minardi are the only team to continue with V10s then will help be given to (or put pressure put on) Minardi to change to V8s so that the entire grid has the same engine config.?
Old 3 May 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1291931)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I hope Minardi run the V10 for 2006/7.I also hope that they find a loophole that allows them to run it at full power.
Old 3 May 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1291988)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Running with restricted V10s is the team's cheapest option. In effect, the slower the car is relative to everyone else's, the faster the engines will be tuned to be relative to everyone else's, so they might be almost guaranteed not to drop in competitiveness (as logn as they can get the car reliable). I can't see anyone else using V10s, and there are nly really 2 possible users for the Cosworth V8 which is under development. However, is ti possible that teh engine would be detuned and used in ChampCars if it doesn't get into F1, remembering that Kevin Kalkhoven owns the company now?
Old 3 May 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1292022)   #10
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The V8 or the V10? Good idea for the motor to be used in champcar, but as an F1 motor it would be far too expensive to manufacture wouldn't it, compared to price it needs to sold at for champcar?
Old 3 May 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1292056)   #11
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if the V10s will be faster than the V8s at some tracks, but slower at others? That could be interesting. At the very least, it's good that the proud Cosworth name isn't disappearing from F1.
Old 3 May 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1292157)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As was said above, I think sticking with the V10 is a good move for Minardi.

The real question will be how the FIA restrict it? Let's say the other teams are running between 750-800hp. Will the Cosworth be allowed to run at 800hp or 750 or potentially even less? IMO they should be allowed to run more like 850.

Boots has an interesting though regarding Cosworth's development of the V8, but surely it would be too expensive for Champ Car? Maybe not, why else would Cosworth be developing an engine when all of the teams look likely to have other engine arrangements?
Old 3 May 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1292261)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
The real question will be how the FIA restrict it? Let's say the other teams are running between 750-800hp. Will the Cosworth be allowed to run at 800hp or 750 or potentially even less? IMO they should be allowed to run more like 850.

The V10 will not be allowed to produce more power than the V8s
Old 4 May 2005, 02:14 (Ref:1292518)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Would it not be prudent to make every team run a V8 rather than having the possible scenario were one team are running more horsepower than another because they are using a V10 and are able to somehow disguise the fact maybe via engine mapping etc. I know what I am trying to say, maybe I am not making my point to well so please excuse me.
Old 4 May 2005, 04:30 (Ref:1292547)   #15
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im pretty sure even if minardi had two extra cylinders then the rest of the grid, they would still be backmarkers.
Old 4 May 2005, 06:44 (Ref:1292575)   #16
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Even if they had similar power to the rest of the field...
Their chassis/aerodynamics/drivers will keep them at the back.

DKGandBH
Old 4 May 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1292979)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
They should have reliability on their side though.

Also i'm not sure how many races next years engines are supposed to last for.There was talk of six! Does anybody know?
Old 4 May 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1293228)   #18
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
They should have reliability on their side though.

Also i'm not sure how many races next years engines are supposed to last for.There was talk of six! Does anybody know?
On the FIA site, there is a press release from 15 januari 2003, named "Formula One - Notes on the Application of Existing Rules for 2003 and New Rules for 2004, 2005 and 2006".

According to that press release, there would be:
- a one-event Single Engine rule in 2004
- a two-event Single Engine rule in 2005
- a six-event Single Engine rule in 2006.

I do not know whether that still stands.
Old 4 May 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1293236)   #19
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Would it not be prudent to make every team run a V8 ...
That might be too expensive for some teams.

I think this is just a way to give the less-rich teams more time to build/buy a new engine, and to build a new car which work with the new engine, without giving them an advantage.

I guess the tuned-down V10's will only be allowed for a limited amount of time.

It's probably a bit like the seasons in which each team was allowed to choose whether or not they wanted to use a Turbo engine.
Old 5 May 2005, 00:43 (Ref:1293302)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K
That might be too expensive for some teams.

I think this is just a way to give the less-rich teams more time to build/buy a new engine, and to build a new car which work with the new engine, without giving them an advantage.

I guess the tuned-down V10's will only be allowed for a limited amount of time.

It's probably a bit like the seasons in which each team was allowed to choose whether or not they wanted to use a Turbo engine.
I see what you are saying, I was playing devils advocate if you will. However I fail to understand all the constant rule changes every season which must cost a fortune to implement. The introduction of the V8 engine rule, the cost of re-tooling, the RD involved, the never ending testing, making it fit the chassis! the list goes on and on. and the powers that be are trying to save the sport money.

So at the end of the day which ever way you cut the cake the teams with the most funds, well you know what I mean.
Old 5 May 2005, 01:21 (Ref:1293314)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Please excuse the double post, but why not get all the teams to use de-tuned V10's That would save money.
Old 5 May 2005, 01:30 (Ref:1293316)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Please excuse the double post, but why not get all the teams to use de-tuned V10's That would save money.
What would be the point! BMW,Mercedes,Toyota etc are in F1 to beat the opposition.If all there developments come to nought because all the engines are restricted to the same power,why would they stay in F1?
Old 5 May 2005, 01:31 (Ref:1293317)   #23
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Most teams have a new engine anyway each year don't they ?
Not just a development of a previous engine ?
The Ferrari engine, wouldn't even fit into their new car.

So how does developing a V8, cost more than developing a new V10 ?

DKGandBH
Old 5 May 2005, 01:32 (Ref:1293318)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
What would be the point! BMW,Mercedes,Toyota etc are in F1 to beat the opposition.If all there developments come to nought because all the engines are restricted to the same power,why would they stay in F1?
Well I will think a little more before I type. You are right of course, I am talking crap sorry.
Old 5 May 2005, 01:49 (Ref:1293324)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Well I will think a little more before I type. You are right of course, I am talking crap sorry.
It's late,or maybe it's early,it depends on where the hell you are.