Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Jan 2015, 12:46 (Ref:3491259)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Classic Car show at Excel

going tomorrow - anything in particular worth not missing?
Old 10 Jan 2015, 07:27 (Ref:3491534)   #2
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if I'll go or not. I was not planning to as someone else said on here "paying a lot of money to look at a lot of old cars in a hangar" may as well go to Brooklands or Shuttleworth...however, the weather is miserable, my bike ride has been cancelled and the endless trips ferrying children from A to B have miraculously faded away.

So, I might surprise Mrs Morrison with a day out and go and have a look. Anyone got any stalls or anyone else going?
Old 10 Jan 2015, 07:47 (Ref:3491537)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I heard very good reports from someone who went yesterday - apparently the cars and trade stands are all refreshingly high end.
Old 10 Jan 2015, 09:30 (Ref:3491556)   #4
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon,
I visited on Friday morning. ExCel is not, to me, a particularly good exhibition space, though at least it is new. (Give me Olympia Old Hall any time).

The Classic Car Show had some good exhibitors (Hall & Hall, Jim Stokes Workshop etc), although not a lot in the second-tier category... mainly sales operations rather than restoration.

I was unimpressed by the Engine Run Up Runway ... poorly executed and, on Friday, some pretty unexceptional cars. And if they had not taken up the whole middle of the hall with the runway, the show would have looked very thin indeed.

To sum up, Race Retro is much better, consistently, and I thought £25 for what I saw was a long way from good value.
I won't bother next year.
Nick
Old 10 Jan 2015, 10:34 (Ref:3491567)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

Thanks Nick, I agree Race Retro is a hard act to follow (although I am sure the Paris show is very good) to be fair the comment to me was made by comparison to the Classic Car show at NEC which I gather is more "grass roots". Nothing wrong in that but in January I want to see some glamour to lighten the gloom of winter!
Old 10 Jan 2015, 14:20 (Ref:3491605)   #6
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was a little disappointed with retromobile in Paris..Some nice stuff but a lot of boot market type stalls and squawking kids…Once you have been to Essen Techo classica you will be spoiled forever…

Book your flights and hotels now and it doesn't have to be an expensive weekend.

N.
Old 10 Jan 2015, 21:00 (Ref:3491708)   #7
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon, I hope you enjoyed the Classic Car Show at ExCel. I went on Friday, the show was not big but there was a range of cars from 1902 onwards. The Grand Avenue was hardly a success, but at least the organisers tried something a little different and Steve Griffiths did give the Judd a blast in his 101. Most of the exhibitors were big names possibly aimed at the "City" types, but the variety of cars that could be found made it very interesting, at least for me. On the competition side the Adrian Newey collection, the six Le Mans icons and the eight GP cars on the Motor Sport stand plus others such as McLaren, De Tomaso, Williams, Tolemans were all worth looking at. In contrast a Phantom II and two Silver Ghosts showed what money bought in the past when new. My personal favourites were the DS21 Decapotable and the Tojeiro sports racer with a JAP v-twin engine built for Brian Lister and also driven by Archie Scott-Brown.
I am glad that I went rather than to the Autosprout show near Brum.
Old 11 Jan 2015, 12:57 (Ref:3491830)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

It's true, it was a bit thin and if I had come a long way to see it I might have felt short changed.. However there were redeeming features like the Newey collection (didn't bother with the James May one) and the Le Mans cars.

I think it would be improved with an auction but I can understand why the houses stayed away in the first year.

Seen in the context of a car show rather than against Race Retro it has a place and hope that more exhibitors come next year.. I will definitely go if they do it again
Old 13 Jan 2015, 22:08 (Ref:3492599)   #9
piekey
Rookie

piekey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been to autosport since its very early days in london and race retro for many years.
This show was a huge disappointment for the four of us that travelled by car from surrey.

Two of us had seen the lot in 1hr 20 whereas the other 2 actually read most plaques on every stand and finished in 1hr 45mins.

We certainly won't bother next year.

May we add that we visited Autosport NEC on the friday with a view of talking to suppliers, this was also a blow to the system as most exhibitors that we chat to every year did not bother taking a stand due to financial constraints of recent economy.
Very poor show there as well.

Lets hope Race Retro won't go the same way.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 09:50 (Ref:3492700)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I swerved it as it got a cold reception from home, but went to Autosprout on Friday with a senior accademic engineer, between us a mix of theory and practice, perusing the trade stands and chatting with a few people. Most of the better UK manufacturers were absent, some new 'manufacturers' of components of dubious design/quality/origin. and the usual mass market tat peddlars.

I may go again in 5 years

Race retro I really should do this year.
Old 15 Jan 2015, 07:35 (Ref:3492997)   #11
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have come to the conclusion that anything to do with mechanical racing components (as opposed to switch gear or fabric based product) or, for that matter anything of a similar nature to do with day to day motoring which is not machined or cast in Europe is of poor quality.

As for the tat merchants I am amazed they make any money. They all sell the same kit and I presume they all pay the same for the space and accommodation as everyone else. All I can say is that the public must feel obliged to buy something having travelled all that way and mass produced shiny bits or cleaning products are the natural inexpensive choice.