Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Oct 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1448584)   #1
reynard
Rookie

reynard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Need help: Modsports Cortina

I have a Lotus Cortina that has been a race car since the sixties. It has all fibreglass bodywork (except the main "shell") and flared fenders. The Vintage groups here in the US won't allow the fibreglass body panels unless I can show that they were allowed in 1974 in some race series. I have seen photos of Modsports prepared cars, and my car seems to be built to these specifications ( or later SCCA GT4 specifications, which are not alowed ). I was hoping someone had some information on the Modsports series (specifications?) that would help me. I have a steel "donor" Cortina GT that I could break for the fenders, hood, doors, boot lid etc. but I would hate to have to destroy this car just to be able to Vintage race it.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1449317)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'd prepare the GT and race that instead !

over here theres over prepared and legit period cars, both have a choice of series and can race together, the one series thats missing is the extremes of modification, which tended to be 60's cars, preppe din the 70's, I guess they where cheap.
I'm not sure how you'd regulate it, but it'd be great to see them again. I guess the nearest we have is classic Thunder . . . A 1300 Anglia won it a few years ago.

send me a PM, I've got quite a few panels knocking about, if you don't mind paying the shipping I could get them for you. but don't trash a GT shell please !
Old 1 Nov 2005, 13:20 (Ref:1449375)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wondered how long it took before the Zef appeared on this thread!!!!
Old 1 Nov 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1449514)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
I wondered how long it took before the Zef appeared on this thread!!!!
haha . . . by all means chop it if its rotten, I know shipping to the US is pricey. but you'd be better off prepping the GT , and mothballing the LC

are they pre or aerflow cars ?
Old 1 Nov 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1449572)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
speak for yoursself - I will definately NOT be mothballing mine!!
Old 1 Nov 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1449774)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is it this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynard
I have a Lotus Cortina that has been a race car since the sixties. It has all fibreglass bodywork (except the main "shell") and flared fenders.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1450317)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Thats Doc MErefield I think, if not then Terry Sanger, can't remember which one of them ran the Fraud Cortina . . . .basically a cut and shut job with a mustang/galaxy underneat. imagine the shell twist/stresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Is it this one?

Old 2 Nov 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1450321)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
Thats Doc MErefield I think, if not then Terry Sanger, can't remember which one of them ran the Fraud Cortina . . . .basically a cut and shut job with a mustang/galaxy underneat. imagine the shell twist/stresses
scary!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1450324)   #9
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who Cares??

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
This car can hold its head up high......as a great entertainer
Old 2 Nov 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1450437)   #10
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That must be Merfield as Terry Sanger has always had a beard

Terry's an old mate of my Dad and he told him recently that the Fraud Cortina's engine was actually a Coventry Climax V8...

If you look at Terry's CV on the BRDC website his last event was sprinting our Mk 2 Lotus Cortina at Combe...

Sorry for hijacking the thread - nobody else understands the Cortina disease and I just get carried away....
Old 2 Nov 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1450453)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
good post jonners . . . .nice to know I'm not the only sad git into Cortinas !

I thought it was Doc M I've seen other V8 MK1's although I think Terry was more famous for his explouits with the Fraud.

If it was as affordable now as it was then I'd get my road car prepped v8 style for an attack on the HRSR next season !