Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 20 Jan 2013, 09:25 (Ref:3191672)   #1
SnifferUK
Rookie

SnifferUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Power at Houx

Morning folks

I'm about to celebrate my 21st visit to La Sarthe this year and I've had a question for the last few years which I have never had a satisfactory answer to.

For the last three years we've been staying in a motorhome at Houx due to its reasonable location and power points.

In recent times we've noticed on some of the power poles there are two types of connection - a 'traditional' 16A type connector and also a much larger one (which I assume, rightly or wrongly, is a 32A one). Interestingly last year one camper had a connection plugged into one of these larger ones which then split off into two 'standard' 16A plugs giving them two bites at the power. Very useful!!

Can anyone shed any light as to this type of splitter/connector and where I can get hold of one prior to this years's visit?

I'm contemplating taking a projector/screen this year (to compliment the trackside viewing) so the more power the better!!

Thanks in advance.
Old 20 Jan 2013, 10:02 (Ref:3191683)   #2
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Try Google, loads on offer. E.G. http://www.olson.co.uk/16a_2b_2cb_r.htm.

Regards

Jim
Old 20 Jan 2013, 10:07 (Ref:3191686)   #3
SnifferUK
Rookie

Thanks Jim

I've had a look on similar sites - but not sure exactly what I'm looking for (not knowing much about power)

The connection I'm looking for is considerably larger than a standard 'hook-up' connector so I'm only assuming its 32amp. I'm aware you can get 32amp connections in a standard connector (looks like a normal hookup from my lay mans view) which is why I'm unsure.

Does anyone have direct knowledge of what the connections are at Houx?
Old 20 Jan 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3191702)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Sniffer are the two types you have seen different colours? One blue and t'other red by chance?
Old 20 Jan 2013, 10:57 (Ref:3191704)   #5
SnifferUK
Rookie

I couldn't be certain on the actual colours but I vaguely remember them being different.

I do also remember someone saying something about them being a different phase ? (see, told you I know nowt about electricity !!)
Old 20 Jan 2013, 11:14 (Ref:3191710)   #6
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Race paddocks always have a mix of red and blue. Red is 415 volts, for the big team trucks. Maybe this will help?
http://tinyurl.com/b43psxc
Old 20 Jan 2013, 11:53 (Ref:3191719)   #7
SnifferUK
Rookie

I guess it could be one of the 415 volt connectors - the connector was similar to the standard hookup (although I can't remember whether it had more pins/holes) just much larger.

The guys I saw last year (wish I'd taken a photo !!) had obviously rigged one up before and came prepared.

Hmm....still no clearer - thanks anyway !
Old 19 Feb 2013, 10:26 (Ref:3207167)   #8
SnifferUK
Rookie

Thought I'd bounce this question to see if anyone who stayed at Houx last year knows what I'm talking about.....

Having looked at all the different types of connection possibilities I'm still no closer to having a clear view on what it is.

If anyone has any ideas and can point me in a suitable direction (clean suggestions only please !!) then I'd be extremely grateful.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 11:28 (Ref:3207211)   #9
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On a similar note, Simmi and I last year said we might take some kind of extension lead across from the power points to our tent, I realise this is a stupid question I could google but I can't think of the right term to use, so can anyone advice what we need to purchase for the job.

Last edited by wewantourdarbyback; 19 Feb 2013 at 11:28. Reason: Adding a word
Old 19 Feb 2013, 11:31 (Ref:3207213)   #10
SnifferUK
Rookie

One of these might help.....

http://www.towsure.com/product/3Way_...ains_Connector

http://www.towsure.com/product/Carav..._Lead_23_Metre
Old 19 Feb 2013, 11:33 (Ref:3207214)   #11
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And then some kind of converter for a multiplug thing to plug in phone chargers etc?
Old 19 Feb 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3207216)   #12
SnifferUK
Rookie

One of these ?

http://www.towsure.com/product/Campi..._Unit_3_Outlet

http://www.towsure.com/product/Carav..._Mains_Adapter
Old 19 Feb 2013, 11:42 (Ref:3207223)   #13
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
You are a beautiful man/woman/thing (I presume). Thank you.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 11:45 (Ref:3207225)   #14
SnifferUK
Rookie

No problem - my invoice is in the post for the research I did

I just need someone to help me with my query now......