Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Mar 2009, 23:27 (Ref:2428497)   #1
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Garry Rogers Motorsport At The Grand Prix-Bringing Motorsport Into Disrepute????

The actions of the GRM team at the Grand Prix were possibly the most disgraceful I have seen in over 40 years of following the sport.Basically the team didn't race all weekend.During races they removed themselves from competition by making pit stops without reason,starting from pit lane or just slowing down until they were well behind the rest of the field and then cruising around in formation.These teams were paid a lot of money to race at this meeting and for a team to treat the spectators and organisers with such disdainful contempt beggers belief.Imagine if all the other teams used their track time as a literal test session and made no attempt to race it would turn the event into a farce.I hope that V8 Supercars at least fines GRM their share of the GP appearance fee ($50,000?) and then doubles it to ensure this never happens again.The team also deserves the karma of a bunch of bad results immediately to pay them back for what they did at the weekend.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 23:35 (Ref:2428504)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
in some ways i tend to agree alan
Old 29 Mar 2009, 23:48 (Ref:2428520)   #3
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't the Stone Brothers do something similar a few years ago at the GP.

Hope no one put money on GRM for the win or place on one of the many betting agencies out there as if this was horse racing I can hear the lawyers geting excited already but being motorsport.........
Old 29 Mar 2009, 23:50 (Ref:2428523)   #4
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The actions of the GRM team at the Grand Prix were possibly the most disgraceful I have seen in over 40 years of following the sport.Basically the team didn't race all weekend.During races they removed themselves from competition by making pit stops without reason,starting from pit lane or just slowing down until they were well behind the rest of the field and then cruising around in formation.These teams were paid a lot of money to race at this meeting and for a team to treat the spectators and organisers with such disdainful contempt beggers belief.Imagine if all the other teams used their track time as a literal test session and made no attempt to race it would turn the event into a farce.I hope that V8 Supercars at least fines GRM their share of the GP appearance fee ($50,000?) and then doubles it to ensure this never happens again.The team also deserves the karma of a bunch of bad results immediately to pay them back for what they did at the weekend.
I think that’s a bit harsh Alan, but I do understand your dislike of GRM's approach to the weekend. However I also see Gary's point which seems to be shared by most if not all in pit lane, it should be part of the Championship.

In the past it has been a given that the V8's go to Melbourne for the exposure connected to the GP. This is no longer a good enough reason and the Championship could sustain another round of points so why not change?

Just make them 3 sprint races like they are now with no pit stops and progressive grids for each race. The twilight Saturday race could even be longer, maybe 20 laps, and then suddenly they are racing for something that counts.

Maybe it’s just me but I reckon the racing would be pretty tough on such a great track if it was for real and not just exhibition...
Old 30 Mar 2009, 00:14 (Ref:2428543)   #5
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised Valvoline would agree to such a plan at such a big event, it really made them look silly. The interview with Rogers in race 2 (with the car in pitlane behind him with a 'mysterious problem') on the other hand was slick work, looked more like a request for TV time than a genuine need to interview him...
Old 30 Mar 2009, 00:25 (Ref:2428551)   #6
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Alan, I am not disagreeing with you...as a long-time supporter of the team I found it quite frustrating - especially when #33 and #34 were in a group of 12 cars which set their fastest laps in Sunday's race below the 120-second/lap barrier.
But just for a moment, put yourself in Mr Rogers shoes....the season is only a 1.5 weeks old and already GRM has had to pay in excess of $80,000 worth of repair bills after Greg Murphy used Caruso's car as a battering ram in Adelaide. GRM were not to blame in this incident, yet still found themselves in the red financially.
How does this affect the AGP? If I was this particular team owner at a meeting which meant virtually nothing I wouldn't want a scratch on any of my cars either. One of my drivers is 3rd in the Championship. We go to NZ in less than 3 weeks and we DON'T have the money/resources of the teams who do want to play rough at a N/C meeting. It doesn't make any sense.
Do I feel sorry for the spectators? Not really. They knew full well that this wasn't a Championship race/round. They paid money to watch F1. The V8's on the card were just a bonus IMHO. It is not as if someone was holding a gun to their head to MAKE them go to the GP. They knew what they were in for and if they didn't, bad luck!

I am not defending Mr Rogers decision, but merely pointing out the reasons as to why he may/may not have done it. Either way it is not our decision to make.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 30 Mar 2009, 00:56 (Ref:2428570)   #7
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few points1.Stone Bros or anyone else have never done this at the GP 2The GP meeting cannot be part of the Championship because of the different TV contracts(as well as logistical problems for pit stop races) 3The teams were so desperate as a group to race at the Grand Prix that in 2007 when Cochrane started to put up obstacles to their return it nearly caused him to be sacked by the teams. 4For all but about 5 cars Championship points are basically irrelevant as they have no more chance of actually winning the Championship in 2009 than you or I. 5Having been to a lot of Championship rounds in terms of crowd,corporate support and TV audience (although the latter was affected this year by the programming of most of the V8 races and shoot out on 1/12 rather than on 10)the Grand Prix is way ahead of nearly every Championship round. 6If GRM was so concerned about car damage he should have stayed home,copped the fine and not make the sport look ridiculous.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 01:09 (Ref:2428578)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice

If these drivers dont want to race at the AGP... why not send in the development series
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Mar 2009, 01:15 (Ref:2428583)   #9
garbo6
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
garbo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The format for the event is stupid enough, so I have no problem with some teams treating it with disdain.

With an increase in street circuits in the championship, and hence the likelihood of more trashed cars I wouldn't be surprised for more teams to do this in the future.

Anyway it worked well, as the team still got more coverage than plenty of others.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 01:33 (Ref:2428590)   #10
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it Alan52 you don't pay the bills at home or anywhere else?? Because if you did you might understand what the situation at GRM is before shooting off like you did. You take a trip down the GRM and you'll find a lot of hard working guys, even the drivers have to get there hands dirty.

I don't blame GRM or anyone else, even Rick Kelly pulled his car off the track after getting a few touch ups on Friday. Why?? He, nor did Garry, wanted another repair bill just before another street circuit round. It might be entertaining to see them smash each other up, but it's the teams budgets, personnel and so on that suffer afterwards.

You want to see them race, buy a ticket and go to a V8 round. Otherwise, please get off there backs and anyone else's.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 01:36 (Ref:2428591)   #11
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garry will probably cop more crap because he was honest about his intentions. It may have been smarter to keep quiet about it and let speculaters speculate. A team turning up to an event without the intention of racing deserves similar critisism as that dished out to TKR last year.

Last time I looked the program referred to Race 1, Race 2, Race 3...that sounds pretty clear to me that the events were races, not filler demo's. If I was a paying spectator, I wouldn't be impressed.

DJR were forced to bring in an old car for Courtney as dispensation to stand aside for the meeting was not granted...yet VESA will let a GRM operate without punishment for rolling around in an uncompetitive manner.

We could also aim our canons at those teams who put thier green race tyres into the belly lockers, and paraded around all weekend on OLD TYRES. That is hardly what I'd call putting on your best show for the fans.

Brickbats for Channel 10 for making us endure listening to Rogers so much when he was acting like a loser...why not put someone on who is giving it a red hot go! While on Ch10's case, did anyone else get the feeling Leigh Diffey was on a pay per click commission from Virgin? Thank god 7 does the championship season for V8's.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 02:39 (Ref:2428614)   #12
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to agree that some sort of penalty should be applied and I think they should not be paid their appearence money.

This meeting really should be a Championship Round. Everbody is there but the main problem as far as V8SA is concernned would be lack of pit stops .

Also V8SA have a physcological problem with not being the main show on a race weekend but some counselling might overcome this.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 02:42 (Ref:2428618)   #13
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
I take it Alan52 you don't pay the bills at home or anywhere else?? Because if you did you might understand what the situation at GRM is before shooting off like you did. You take a trip down the GRM and you'll find a lot of hard working guys, even the drivers have to get there hands dirty.

I don't blame GRM or anyone else, even Rick Kelly pulled his car off the track after getting a few touch ups on Friday. Why?? He, nor did Garry, wanted another repair bill just before another street circuit round. It might be entertaining to see them smash each other up, but it's the teams budgets, personnel and so on that suffer afterwards.

You want to see them race, buy a ticket and go to a V8 round. Otherwise, please get off there backs and anyone else's.
The teams were paid a fee to race at the GP(about $50K per 2 car team I am lead to believe).To take this money and then fake it is unprincipled and probably in breach of the V8 Supercars teams agreement.GRM has no chance of winning the championship this year(or probably any other year).If the teams are that concerned about cost savings they would not be continually increasing the number of races they have at car destroying street circuits.Again if it is OK for GRM to do this then would it also be OK for EVERY other team to do this either at the GP or at rounds of the series once they have lost their chance of winning the pointscore?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 03:12 (Ref:2428632)   #14
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
These teams were paid a lot of money to race at this meeting and for a team to treat the spectators and organisers with such disdainful contempt beggers belief.Imagine if all the other teams used their track time as a literal test session and made no attempt to race it would turn the event into a farce.I hope that V8 Supercars at least fines GRM their share of the GP appearance fee ($50,000?) and then doubles it to ensure this never happens again.
I gotta agree here. They were paid to race by GP Corp and they certainly didn't live up to that obligation. If this sort of thing happened in cricket or AFL, the team/players/coach would have been savaged by the media. In horse racing it would be considered race fixing.

Also if GRMs finances are so fragile that they can't afford damage, they're going to be in all sorts of trouble with so many street races coming up. And none of these circuits have anywhere near as much runoff and Albert Park. ie. Hamilton, Townsville, Gold Coast, Sydney!!!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 03:18 (Ref:2428634)   #15
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
Rubbish... GP Corp paid V8SA big dollars to turn up and put on a show, and the spectators paid for the V8s appearance fee indirectly via the ticket prices.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 03:28 (Ref:2428636)   #16
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
If this sort of thing happened in cricket or AFL, the team/players/coach would have been savaged by the media. In horse racing it would be considered race fixing.
The swans do it every year in the pre-season AFL comp.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 04:08 (Ref:2428645)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pathetic would be the word I would use to describe what happened there. I'd say if you don't want to race then fold your team and go home.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 04:30 (Ref:2428655)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Points or no points it was still a motor race that you'd think the drivers would want to win.

As mentioned the GP Corp paid for them, plus team sponsors were no doubt keen for some good exposure at the AGP, is that the sort of exposure Valvoline wanted (is Rogers still involved in the Valvoline sponsorship deals?)

I don't see why a motor race is meaningless just because it doesn't pay championship points?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 05:00 (Ref:2428662)   #19
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should be a points race - every other support category was.... waste of time going & lowndes winning the round means as much as whoever finished last....
Old 30 Mar 2009, 06:03 (Ref:2428683)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Should be a points race - every other support category was.... waste of time going & lowndes winning the round means as much as whoever finished last....
It got Vodafone & Orrcon on the teev for over an hour or so as Mr Lowndes blew the field away or Mr Winterbottom did and vice versa... playing to what, a 250,000 strong crowd across the weekend....

Its not a waste of time.

What screws up the scheduling options is the need for the F1 to have a late afternoon session, plus the requirement to be "engines off" at 7pm...

Otherwise... what would stop the "Albert Park 300" on Saturday afternoon? Plenty of time to clean the track for the F1 the next day. Points paying.

Supercars go tootling around while a concert goes off at the track too...
Old 30 Mar 2009, 06:36 (Ref:2428696)   #21
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Come the end of the v8 championship season - lowndes winning in melbourne will mean nothing in championship terms.... good for his sponsors, yeah - not good for his points run - waste of time!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 06:41 (Ref:2428699)   #22
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So when Bathurst wasn't a part of the championship, it was a waste of time?

This is one strange thread...
Old 30 Mar 2009, 07:34 (Ref:2428720)   #23
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad showing by GRM,I stopped dring me VB put out the fag and went to the pub.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 07:40 (Ref:2428729)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
Bad showing by GRM,I stopped dring me VB put out the fag and went to the pub.
How did the fag like that?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 07:51 (Ref:2428734)   #25
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GP will never be part of the championship for all the reasons discussed ad nauseum for years. No pits, clashing TV rights, Bernie you name it, it won't happen. I'd be happier if they didn't go at all rather than this contrived Manufacturer Challenge crap.