Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Merc or Toyota ?
Old 15 Jun 2005, 04:19 (Ref:1328941)   #3
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if I were Alex Schnaider, I'd smile more in photos, and then I'd go with Toyota. I suspect Merc would overcharge me. And they might give me the '04 spec with the 'unexpected failure' option.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 06:25 (Ref:1328974)   #4
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
04 = v10
06 = v8

I guess Merc could follow history and spend 18 months blowing the v8's up before getting it right.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1329087)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can we call them Midland instead of Jordan now? Especially as htis news purely refers to 2006, at which time the Jordan name and all remnants of the team will be gone.

They'v already established a working relationship with Toyota, although we don't know how strong that is, so they might be the best option.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1329124)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Technically Midland could take a V10 option, like Minardi, and run with reduced revs/air restrictors or whatever is dreamed up to make them on par with the V8s....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Jun 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1329166)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
or Toyota would want them to run the new V8 to give it extra test mileage?
Old 15 Jun 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1329260)   #8
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aren't Toyota the most reliable engine on the grid? I'm sure they released a press release near the beginning of the season stating they've never had a failure in race.

Reliable and clearly not lacking in grunt, seems like the best option to me.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1329288)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
But they all change to V8's next year and so everyone is treading into the unknown.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 14:14 (Ref:1329291)   #10
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True enough, but when you have the likes of Honda, Mercedes and BMW who have yet to get the V10 right a reputation for past reliability must count for something.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1329316)   #11
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll bet anything that it'll be Midland-Toyota still next year. Toyota are rumoured to be even considering powering three teams - Williams being the third, so i'll think they'll want to stick with Midland too.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 14:55 (Ref:1329326)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
whatever happened to the dubai based team that was supposed to have merc engines for next year? i guess we would have heard more about by now if that was true.

also what happens if midland cant get a chassis ready for next year, they must have had trouble getting a toyota engine in their car this year i cant imagine they would take a chance again for next year. my guess would have to be toyota for next year.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 02:49 (Ref:1330021)   #13
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the sheer size of Toyota, surely they would be in a position to provide a better deal on engines than Mercedes, especially with the new specs. I wouldn't be surprised if the Merc rumours are Schnaider's way of ensuring the sweetness of that deal.

Add their pre-existing relationship, and Toyota's reliability, and I can't see Jordland jumping ship.

BTW, is the V8's reg done done? Or is there still a chance they might not go there?
Old 16 Jun 2005, 04:50 (Ref:1330052)   #14
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eh? I thought they'd already signed to Toyota?!
Old 16 Jun 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1330196)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
Eh? I thought they'd already signed to Toyota?!

We were told it was "extremely likely".

This weekend is just the official announcement.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1330222)   #16
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, I'm afraid this transition will cause more smoke from the McLarens for the next 2 years
Old 16 Jun 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1330278)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toyota easily makes the most sense - the chances are that their 2006 engine will be one of the most reliable, and there's every chance that they can hit the ground running without having to compete against those who have built engines under these regulations for decades. As long as it isn't expensive to get the engiens they have no reason to switch.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1330283)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I guess if you look to the US racing scene where V8's have been the norm in Indycars etc for years, then you would have to say the market is down to Ford (who we can delete unless it's Cosworth), Honda and Toyota.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1330335)   #19
hando
Rookie

Australia
At my desk copping head....
hando should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm sure Cosworth Honda and Toyota are rubbing thier hands at the prospect of the new Reg changes to V8's next season.

I think Midland would be wrong to move away from Toyota at this stage as Toyota already have a track record for supplying reliable V8 donks.

BTW I think this was on another thread, but these engines are meant to run at about 22000 rpm.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1330347)   #20
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
partly relevant: http://planetf1.com/news/story_19929.shtml
Old 16 Jun 2005, 13:12 (Ref:1330348)   #21
hando
Rookie

Australia
At my desk copping head....
hando should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW the picture in the article is of Team Manager Colin Kolles not Alex Schnaider.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1330394)   #22
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
I guess if you look to the US racing scene where V8's have been the norm in Indycars etc for years, then you would have to say the market is down to Ford (who we can delete unless it's Cosworth), Honda and Toyota.
I'm not sure this is relevant. The engines used in the IRL by those 3 companies are very different to F1 engines, with very different power and acceleration requirements, and I doubt a lot of design work will be transferred across to the F1 designs.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:33 (Ref:1330638)   #23
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
I'm not sure this is relevant. The engines used in the IRL by those 3 companies are very different to F1 engines, with very different power and acceleration requirements, and I doubt a lot of design work will be transferred across to the F1 designs.
I'm not sure about that. The IRL engines have proven extremely adept at road course racing, so some of that technology could be adapted.

For Midland, finding a fast engine will be the easy part. Building a chassis to make some use out of it, will likely prove impossible for this mess of a team.

Danica Patrick
Old 21 Jun 2005, 09:20 (Ref:1335581)   #24
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sorry, I might have missed this, but was an official statment issued?
Old 21 Jun 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1335659)   #25
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ummmm - my guess is no - I understand that the various personnel had other things on their minds......