Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 13 Apr 2003, 08:59 (Ref:567930)   #1
coolerking
Rookie

coolerking should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
reed valve engine, good choice?

After many months of deliberation and thought the time has come to buy my first kart, i ve decided to buy a kart that i can race and enter competitions , after getting some track time and exspierence. I would like to compete in 100 nationals or simular and after looking at many karts i am now ready to purchase my first kart. The one i have in mind is a 100 cc vortex air cooled reed valve engine on a 1999 hasse cik chassis, all in good nick and well looked after, complete with tillett seat , bridgestones, kelgate grakes,and transponder.Is this a good engine , ive been told to stay clear of reed valve engine s so i m really on the fence about this , can anyone advise me on this or is the reed valve engine a popular choice. many thanks Coolerking.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 18:04 (Ref:574235)   #2
superbird
Racer

superbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
most tracks make you use watercooled engines in 100 National to keep the noise down so you might be better off buying one that is already converted rather than getting that one done. If you want to race in 100 National you need an engine that was homologated for Formula A in 98-00 i.e. a VR/E, VR/D, VR/E or VR/F so check the model name. If it's not one of those you'll be able to race it in 100 Libre though. Reeds are no worse than any other 100! They're all a pain in the butt but worth it!
Old 19 Apr 2003, 18:06 (Ref:574238)   #3
superbird
Racer

superbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PS where are you going to race? We're in S Wales too and want a National but it's 3 hours drive to race anyting other than a Max or a TKM
Old 21 Apr 2003, 11:45 (Ref:575506)   #4
coolerking
Rookie

coolerking should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi Superbird, i m in Swansea also, i ve given this alot of thought and i have switched to a Rotax 125 cc water cooled, my local track would be Llandow , its only 30 mins from Swansea, and they hold a very competitive championship there,aswell as practise sessions through the week.
Old 7 May 2003, 17:21 (Ref:592591)   #5
copse
Rookie

copse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vortex reed are very quick engines and you need to know when buying any engine what bore its on.
Old 31 May 2003, 12:35 (Ref:615709)   #6
ukkartace
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
ukkartace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi if i was you i would buy a water cooled engine because they are much faster than the air cooled and easier to set the carbaration. I wouldn't advise you to buy a haase because honestly they are ****, consider buying a tonykart because its very easy to set up and are made using the highest technology believe i have seen them being made in prevalle in italy. Where you thinking of doing any championships or are youjust going to compete at club level?
Old 31 May 2003, 18:17 (Ref:616035)   #7
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey cooler king me to... what a small place this is.
dont say your in the institute that would be freaky
Old 31 May 2003, 18:43 (Ref:616051)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cooler King definately go Rotax max - they require very little of the maintenance associated with the other types and mine starts every time first time on the button. You can only change the jets on them which makes thing easy - as to chassis if your tracks a fast one dont get anything too old, altho if its twisty an older or less thick gauge chassis should suffice. Ive got a 2002 Sodikart which is very nicely put together but at the higher end of the price range. I would recpmmend BRM karts myself tho as Rob the importer works very hard for you. Failing that theres a guy who deals MBA's in Bristol but they are cheaper so the quality aint quite so good.