Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Apr 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2166987)   #26
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Two excellent questions SD! They would certainly require upgrading and given the nature of the beasts the structural integrity, level of prep and safety enhancements would require close policing. The simple answer to the second question is 'no' .... but some of us would sure as hell like to see these cars out again.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2167245)   #27
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
but some of us would sure as hell like to see these cars out again.
Hell yeah! An ex John Gott Modsport Big Healey please
Old 1 Apr 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2167369)   #28
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
Hell yeah! An ex John Gott Modsport Big Healey please
i heard about a guy building one wide arched healey (John Gott one from the Tony Elshof collection) back to normal (what is normal?)
its now primrose yellow if you get it !!!!!
Old 1 Apr 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2167373)   #29
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
i heard about a guy building one wide arched healey (John Gott one from the Tony Elshof collection) back to normal (what is normal?)
its now primrose yellow if you get it !!!!!
DD300 was converted back from Modsports.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 21:47 (Ref:2167383)   #30
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a couple of the Davrian Modsport cars have raced in the SR&GT series in the last couple of years.

Might be one place to race some of these cars again, at least in the UK at least!
Old 2 Apr 2008, 07:21 (Ref:2167556)   #31
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No Huge Monster engined cars being mentioned here though.

AND THAT is what the punters really want if we are speaking Modsports.

Pumped up things with HUGE Chevy's............
Old 2 Apr 2008, 08:27 (Ref:2167591)   #32
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
DD300 was converted back from Modsports.
Yes, by John Chatham and as Terry kindly pointed out on another thread it's was sold recentlyish as completely original; they must have forgotten about the flared wheelarches and fibreglass.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 08:35 (Ref:2167593)   #33
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
Yes, by John Chatham and as Terry kindly pointed out on another thread it's was sold recentlyish as completely original; they must have forgotten about the flared wheelarches and fibreglass.
Did it have a Huge Chvey in it in period though?

An all steel engine Big Healey is not that fast (crap in the corners).
Old 2 Apr 2008, 09:17 (Ref:2167636)   #34
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Modsports where not OTT bult cars they had to stay closer to their origins than special saloons
most logical cars used where
Davrians clan crusader Mini marcos Ginetta`s MG midget /sprite variants MGA MGB 1 Triumph stag ( recently for sale) XK Jag some porsche 911`s caterham 7 cars lotus elan/europa cars raced
in theiory it would not be difficult to get 15 cars out but as is common with thes eideas many cars have sat idle for years and need full rebuild and we have the chicken/egg situation of do you spend £6k doing the car for a series that may not exist but if you do not get the cars ready you cannot have a series

Logically it would make sense to get the cars running do a demo run/"race" show the cars off and momentum will hopefully follow
Old 2 Apr 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2167650)   #35
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
Modsports where not OTT bult cars they had to stay closer to their origins than special saloons
most logical cars used where
Davrians clan crusader Mini marcos Ginetta`s MG midget /sprite variants MGA MGB 1 Triumph stag ( recently for sale) XK Jag some porsche 911`s caterham 7 cars lotus elan/europa cars raced
Aha - getting mixed up with the Special Saloons then.

They are the ones worth getting out. If just mildly modded stuff as per the above, hardly seems worth the effort, they will have most likely if still around drifted into other series now and being enjoying racing there.

Unless getting the Special Saloons back out can't see this as a starter and would just be another series that will really struggle and then slip away due to low numbers (the MSA are very hot on low number championships as they should be).
Old 2 Apr 2008, 10:39 (Ref:2167708)   #36
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree - I want to see DFV and V8 engined cars out again as I saw racing at Silverstone as a child!
Old 2 Apr 2008, 10:56 (Ref:2167721)   #37
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
I agree - I want to see DFV and V8 engined cars out again as I saw racing at Silverstone as a child!
I could put a Cage in my Chevy TVR! If you want.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 18:18 (Ref:2168057)   #38
markal
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lancs
markal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes jellison under Tvr arches i can prove it, i have a cage in mine, to be honest it was my wife that put me of doing the Brian Hough replica, she said who on earth would like that after you have finished with it, sorry i listened, you lot would have loved it! regards Alan.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 19:26 (Ref:2168097)   #39
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
Yep, DD300 has had its issues over the years and I'm not sure I would have paid what they eventually got!
Old 2 Apr 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2168098)   #40
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison
An all steel engine Big Healey is not that fast
Compared to what?
Old 2 Apr 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2168141)   #41
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
'Modsports' back in the day was predominantly MG Midgets. They sounded great and were fantastic to drive... when they were going. But they did require a heck of a lot of effort to prepare and run. I speak from experience of having raced one back then and most of my contemporaries suffered similar heartache.

On the safety perspective, I was looking at some photos of my old Modsports MG Midget just now and what passed as adequate back then would be totally unacceptable today... meaning that anyone considering resurrecting one of these cars out would probably be better building one from scratch. GBP6K didn't touch the sides back then and certainly wouldn't today.

It would be fabulous to see them back out again, but realistically I don't think its gonna happen.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 07:04 (Ref:2168421)   #42
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Compared to what?
A Full Race TR4 or 6 will Spank a Full race Healey (well mine do), Great in a Straight line but in the corners and under braking - oooooH no. Pity Cos they pretty much left our series after doing really well in the early 20** years.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 09:30 (Ref:2168492)   #43
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
to be fair a TR6 is probably not a true comp! I think Slippery Diff was interested in a period comparative....
Old 3 Apr 2008, 10:11 (Ref:2168522)   #44
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
to be fair a TR6 is probably not a true comp! I think Slippery Diff was interested in a period comparative....
Well they type of mods mine has (bar Big Brakes on the 6) could have been done in period and a full on race 6 or 4 would beat a similar level of modded Healey (the 4 would need to be a big bore engine though not fia 87mm one). Not talking some weird Modsports things with daft sized tyres.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 19:09 (Ref:2168914)   #45
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well they type of mods mine has (bar Big Brakes on the 6) could have been done in period and a full on race 6 or 4 would beat a similar level of modded Healey (the 4 would need to be a big bore engine though not fia 87mm one). Not talking some weird Modsports things with daft sized tyres.
reacting would be way of topic. but this is an old discussion only solved on the track whenever in period form!!!
Old 3 Apr 2008, 19:38 (Ref:2168939)   #46
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
A Full Race TR4 or 6 will Spank a Full race Healey (well mine do), Great in a Straight line but in the corners and under braking - oooooH no. Pity Cos they pretty much left our series after doing really well in the early 20** years.
I remember keeping a full race TR4 behind us for 5 hours at Spa one year. Passed us when the engine let go!
Old 3 Apr 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2168946)   #47
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Correct. Healey's are massively competitive in lots of disciplines. At a wet Eiffel Klassik a few years ago, Healeys finished 1st and 4th overall in a very wet race. If I could have just caught and passed the 904, I'd have been on the podium
Old 4 Apr 2008, 09:41 (Ref:2169326)   #48
driftwood
Veteran

Im rather concerned that a man has listened to his wife in building a race car what next? breast feeding his own children

Modpsorts in their day where sensibe race cars that allowed an amatuer driver to race a modified production car without the wild mods as seen on special saloon cars ie fancy gearboxes suspension bodywork engines chassis mods
I will admit i was an saloon car fan as my father raced them but modsports still had a great following
Jonathon Palmer started off in them with the 3 litre Marcos
in the early 80`s the special saloon and modsports series merged into the Donington GT series

I wonder how many cars exist today
I know teh davrian and clans are aropund plus the mini jem marcos cars the MG midgets have move dover into the MG car club series and i would guess any caterham type cars mught be running in sprints n hillclimb events rather than circuit races

perhaps the logical thing is to create a modsport and special saloon event to get out any of the original cars from the late 60`s and 70`s and maybe add in any Donington GT cars that exist to pad out the grid
Old 4 Apr 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2169686)   #49
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if enough people show a definate interest in a one of race with a veiw to a mini championship in 2009 i will buy a grid at say mallory/donnington so anyone with a 70/80s modsport/modsaloon /special saloon get in touch with me and ill do the rest
Old 4 Apr 2008, 18:02 (Ref:2169734)   #50
driftwood
Veteran

well that is a start however I think you now ned to press Autosport Motoring news Motorpsort magazine for an article or 2
perhaps drag some cars out that can either run or do foto shoot
i dont think here is the place to rustle up the cars ideal to talk the talk but the real world is out there to chase people with cars
perhaps and advert in teh magzines soem websites "wanted Modsport and sepcial saloon cars to race" will get you some car owners who may either want to sell cars or get them out running